[comp.sys.mac] Help

billau@hou2h.UUCP (01/27/87)

HELP!  How does one change the ID of a document?  In particular,
When I try to open a MacDraw document I copied from a friend, I
got the error message that it does not have the proper ID.

Bill Au
...!ihnp4!hou2h!billau

amir@cnt.UUCP (amir vafaei) (09/06/87)

I have sent a few articles asking for some info, but never received a
reply!!  So I am wandering whether these are going out or not, since
we just installed the software!!!

So I will be sending this message out every day, till I find out.

So would some kind soul, please respond to this message.

Thanks.

mccarthy@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/08/87)

Written 10:47 am  Sep  6, 1987 by amir@cnt.UUCP
>So would some kind soul, please respond to this message.

	Okay.

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (09/08/87)

> I have sent a few articles asking for some info, but never received a
> reply!!  So I am wandering whether these are going out or not, since
> we just installed the software!!!
>
> So I will be sending this message out every day, till I find out.
>
> So would some kind soul, please respond to this message.
>
> Thanks.
Ok.

afoster@ogcvax.UUCP (Allan Foster) (09/10/87)

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGG!

No don't send it out any more we promis to respond.

It got to me here in Oregon.

Regards

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (09/10/87)

I tried replying to the original message, but our software
says it never heard of "cnt", so it bounced.  I wonder how many
of the replies to the requests for information met the same fate?

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     edgar@osupyr.UUCP

eal@tut.UUCP (Lehtim{ki Erkki) (09/18/87)

In article <119@cnt.UUCP> amir@cnt.UUCP (amir vafaei) writes:

>I have sent a few articles asking for some info, but never received a
>reply!!  So I am wandering whether these are going out or not, since
>we just installed the software!!!
>
>So I will be sending this message out every day, till I find out.
>
>So would some kind soul, please respond to this message.
>
>Thanks.

I tried to reply to Amir Vafaei, but following is what happened. Sorry.

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 87 17:45:47 GMT
From: MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
To: eal

>>> RCPT To:<amir@cnt>
<<< 554 <amir@cnt>... Host cnt not known
554 amir@cnt.UUCP... Service unavailable

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
   (Rest is deleted)
--
Erkki A. Lehtim{ki        eal@tut.uucp

vjk@tut.fi (Vesa Kein{nen) (09/21/87)

in article <420@tutor.tut.UUCP>, eal@tut.UUCP (Lehtim{ki Erkki) says:

> I tried to reply to Amir Vafaei, but following is what happened. Sorry.
>
> [ Mailer error message deleted ]
>
> Erkki A. Lehtim{ki        eal@tut.uucp

At that time tut (Finnish backbone) didn't know about host called
cnt, so mail was rejected. Cnt is mentioned in latest uucp site
list (received 21.9). Sending mail to Amir should work now.

Vesa
--
Vesa  Keinanen                  # Tampere University of Technology
vjk@tut.fi                      #     /Computer Systems Laboratory

patel@smu (09/25/87)

I desperately need some source code examples of using the list manager.
Could someone please either e-mail the code to me or else post it?  I
would prefer the code to be in Lightspeed Pascal, but any other language
will do.  Nirav Patel.

florman@randvax.UUCP (Bruce Florman) (10/02/87)

> I desperately need some source code examples of using the list manager.
> Could someone please either e-mail the code to me or else post it?  I
> would prefer the code to be in Lightspeed Pascal, but any other language
> will do.  Nirav Patel.

    A couple of weeks ago, I desperately needed some too, and I finally
tracked down an example written in C in an old issue of MacTutor.
Unfortunately, I don't remember which issue, and I don't have it handy.
Fortunately, I used the example to write my own routine in LS Pascal, and
I do have that handy.

    My code is used to put a regular list of text into a modal dialog.
The interface procedure, LModalSelect1, takes as arguments, the resource
ids of a Dialog (DLOG) and a String List (STR#), the number of rows and
columns in the list, the size of the cells, and the rectangle in which
the list will be viewed.  It returns the selected string and that string's
index (in the range 1..n where n is the total number of cells).  This
procedure makes certain assumptions about the first three items in the
given dialog's item list (DITL).  The first item is the default button.
The second is an enabled userItem that will be used to display the list.
The third is a disabled userItem which will be used to draw the outline
around the default button.

    What follows is three files:

	1. UModalList.p		- the unit that we're interested in.
	2. Main.p		- a main program to test it with.
	3. ModalListOther.r	- a Rez format file describing the
				  resources that I used for my tests.

----------------file UModalList.p----------------

UNIT UModalList;

INTERFACE

    USES
	ListManager;

    PROCEDURE LModalSelect1 (dialogId, stringListId : INTEGER;
				    nColumns, nRows : INTEGER;
				    cellWidth, cellHeight : INTEGER;
				    viewRect : Rect;
				    VAR aString : Str255;
				    VAR index : INTEGER);

IMPLEMENTATION

    CONST
	kOKbutton = 1;
	kListItem = 2;
	kOutliner = 3;

	kScrollBarWidth = 15;
	kStdLDEF = 0;

    PROCEDURE DrawListItem (aDialog : WindowPtr;
				    itemNo : INTEGER);
	VAR
	    theList : ListHandle;
	    theRgn : RgnHandle;
	    listFrame : Rect;
    BEGIN
	theList := ListHandle(GetWRefCon(aDialog));
	listFrame := theList^^.rView;
	InsetRect(listFrame, -1, -1);
	FrameRect(listFrame);
	theRgn := NewRgn;
	RectRgn(theRgn, aDialog^.portRect);
	LUpdate(theRgn, theList);
	DisposeRgn(theRgn)
    END;

    PROCEDURE OutlineButton (aDialog : DialogPtr; itemNo : INTEGER);
	VAR
	    iType : INTEGER;
	    iHandle : Handle;
	    iBox : Rect;
    BEGIN
	GetDItem(aDialog, kOKbutton, iType, iHandle, iBox);
	InsetRect(iBox, -4, -4);
	{ We assume that thePort = aDialog when this code is called. }
	{ Just to be safe, we could call SetPort(aDialog), but it isn't }
	{ really necessary. }
	PenSize(3, 3);
	FrameRoundRect(iBox, 16, 16);
	PenNormal
    END;

    PROCEDURE InitListDialog (dialogId, stringListId : INTEGER;
				    nColumns, nRows : INTEGER;
				    cellWidth, cellHeight : INTEGER;
				    viewRect : Rect;
				    VAR theListDialog : DialogPtr;
				    VAR theList : ListHandle;
				    initSelection : INTEGER);
	VAR
	    dataBounds, itemBox : Rect;
	    doVScroll, doHScroll : BOOLEAN;
	    cellSize : Point;
	    aCell : Cell;
	    i, itemType : INTEGER;
	    itemHandle : Handle;
	    aString : Str255;
    BEGIN
	theListDialog := GetNewDialog(dialogId, NIL, Pointer(-1));
	IF EmptyRect(viewRect) THEN
	    GetDItem(theListDialog, kListItem,
		     itemType, itemHandle, viewRect);
	WITH viewRect DO
	    BEGIN
		doHScroll := (right - left) < (nColumns * cellWidth);
		doVScroll := (bottom - top) < (nRows * cellHeight)
	    END;
	SetRect(dataBounds, 0, 0, nColumns, nRows);
	SetPt(cellSize, cellWidth, cellHeight);
	theList := LNew(viewRect, dataBounds, cellSize, kStdLDEF,
			theListDialog, FALSE, FALSE, doHScroll, doVScroll);
	SetWRefCon(theListDialog, Ord4(theList));
	theList^^.selFlags := lOnlyOne;
	FOR i := 0 TO (nColumns * nRows) - 1 DO
	    BEGIN
		SetPt(aCell, i DIV nRows, i MOD nRows);
		GetIndString(aString, stringListId, i + 1);
		LSetCell(Pointer(Ord4(@aString) + 1), Length(aString),
			 aCell, theList)
	    END;
	IF initSelection > 0 THEN
	    BEGIN
		i := initSelection - 1;
		SetPt(aCell, i DIV nRows, i MOD nRows);
		LSetSelect(TRUE, aCell, theList)
	    END;
	LDoDraw(TRUE, theList);
	itemBox := viewRect;
	WITH itemBox DO
	    BEGIN
		IF doHScroll THEN
		    bottom := bottom + kScrollBarWidth;
		IF doVScroll THEN
		    right := right + kScrollBarWidth
	    END;
	SetDItem(theListDialog, kListItem, userItem,
		 Handle(@DrawListItem), itemBox);
	SetDItem(theListDialog, kOutliner, userItem + itemDisable,
		 Handle(@OutlineButton), itemBox);
	ShowWindow(theListDialog)
    END;

    PROCEDURE PoseListDialog (theListDialog : DialogPtr;
				    theList : ListHandle);
	VAR
	    done : BOOLEAN;
	    itemHit : INTEGER;
	    aPoint : Point;
    BEGIN
	done := FALSE;
	WHILE NOT done DO
	    BEGIN
		ModalDialog(NIL, itemHit);
		IF itemHit = kOKbutton THEN
		    done := TRUE
		ELSE IF itemHit = kListItem THEN
		    BEGIN
			SetPort(theListDialog);
			GetMouse(aPoint);
			done := LClick(aPoint, 0, theList)
		    END
	    END
    END;

    PROCEDURE GetListSelection (theList : ListHandle;
				    VAR aString : Str255;
				    VAR index : INTEGER);
	VAR
	    someSelect : BOOLEAN;
	    aCell : Cell;
	    p : Ptr;
	    stringLength : INTEGER;
    BEGIN
	SetPt(aCell, 0, 0);
	someSelect := LGetSelect(TRUE, aCell, theList);
	IF someSelect THEN
	    BEGIN
		p := @aString;
		stringLength := SizeOf(aString);
		LGetCell(Pointer(Ord4(p) + 1), stringLength, aCell, theList);
		p^ := Byte(stringLength);
		WITH theList^^.dataBounds, aCell DO
		    index := (bottom - top) * h + v + 1
	    END
	ELSE
	    BEGIN
		aString := '';
		index := 0
	    END
    END;

    PROCEDURE LModalSelect1;
	VAR
	    theList : ListHandle;
	    theListDialog : DialogPtr;
    BEGIN
	InitListDialog(dialogId, stringListId,
		       nColumns, nRows,
		       cellWidth, cellHeight,
		       viewRect, theListDialog,
		       theList, index);
	PoseListDialog(theListDialog, theList);
	GetListSelection(theList, aString, index);
	LDispose(theList);
	DisposDialog(theListDialog)
    END;

END.

----------------file Main.p----------------

PROGRAM Main;

    USES
	UModalList;

    CONST
	kDialogId = 1001;
	kStringListId = 1001;

	kColumns = 2;
	kRows = 13;
	kCellWidth = 80;
	kCellHeight = 16;

    VAR
	viewRect : Rect;
	aString : Str255;
	anItem : INTEGER;

BEGIN
    SetRect(viewRect, 8, 8, 168, 88);
    LModalSelect1(kDialogId, kStringListId, kColumns, kRows,
		  kCellWidth, kCellHeight, viewRect, aString, anItem);
    ShowText;
    WriteLn('item #', anItem : 1, ': ', aString)
END.

-----------------file ModalListOther.r----------------

resource 'DLOG' (1001) {
    {120, 154, 262, 345},
    documentProc, invisible, noGoAway,
    0x0, 1001, "Modal List"
};

resource 'DITL' (1001) {
    {   {112, 64, 132, 124}, Button { enabled, "OK" },
	{8, 8, 88, 183}, UserItem { enabled },
	{0, 0, 0, 0}, UserItem { disabled }
    }
};

resource 'STR#' (1001) {
    {   "Alpha",    "Bravo",    "Charlie",  "Delta",
	"Echo",     "Foxtrot",  "Golf",     "Hotel",
	"India",    "Juliet",   "Kilo",     "Lima",
	"Mike",     "November", "Oscar",    "Papa",
	"Quebec",   "Romeo",    "Sierra",   "Tango",
	"Uniform",  "Victor",   "Whiskey",  "X-ray",
	"Yankee",   "Zulu"
    }
};

----------------End of included files----------------

I don't get a chance for much feedback from other Mac programmers, so
if there are any MacWizards out there who would like to comment on this,
please feel free.

-Bruce Florman
florman@rand-unix.ARPA
{decvax,sdcrdcf,trwrb,trwspf,vortex}!rand-unix!gnu!florman

"There is no limit to the amount of good that people can accomplish,
 if they don't care who gets the credit."
							- Anonymous

abbott@dean.Berkeley.EDU (+Mark Abbott) (07/28/88)

xx

A couple of questions.  1:  I've got a very small localtalk network which
is giving me a strange problem.  The setup is:

Mac SE		Mac SE		Mac+		LW+
  |		  |		 |		 |
  |		  |		 |		 |
  |_______________|______________|_______________|

The problem is that the Mac+ can't seem to find the LW+.  Chooser won't
turn up the LW when I choose the LW driver.  However, if I cut off the
two SEs so that the network is just the Mac+ and the LW, the problem goes
away.  The two SEs never seem to have any trouble finding the LW.
All the software is compatible.  I'm baffled.  Anybody got suggestions?

Next question, I've had a couple requests for a way to set the default font
size in WriteNow at startup.  I've got Fontonize so that I can set the
default font, but how do I change the size?

	Mark Abbott
	abbott@dean.berkeley.edu
	{decwrl, sun, hplabs}!ucbvax!dean!abbott

rmh@Apple.COM (Rick Holzgrafe) (07/29/88)

In article <25255@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> abbott@dean.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (+Mark Abbott) writes:

>A couple of questions.  1:  I've got a very small localtalk network which
>is giving me a strange problem.  The setup is:
>
>Mac SE		Mac SE		Mac+		LW+
>  |		  |		 |		 |
>  |		  |		 |		 |
>  |______________|______________|_______________|
>
>The problem is that the Mac+ can't seem to find the LW+.  Chooser won't
>turn up the LW when I choose the LW driver.  However, if I cut off the
>two SEs so that the network is just the Mac+ and the LW, the problem goes
>away.  The two SEs never seem to have any trouble finding the LW.
>All the software is compatible.  I'm baffled.  Anybody got suggestions?

Check your "AppleTalk Personal Network" manual, to be sure you've got it
all cabled correctly. Any dangling cables at the ends?

The manual also shows every connection using a connection box; at the
ends, one of the two "outlets" is empty. I don't think it hurts to simply
omit the connnection boxes at the ends, and just plug in the cable directly
(for one thing, I've done it that way myself); but if you're doing it
that way, you might try using the connection boxes to see if it makes a
difference.

Is the Mac+ connector plugged into its printer port? The modem port
won't work.

Of course, you've already checked all the connectors to make sure they're
tight, so I won't even suggest that. :-)

You've probably also had all the machines turned on and off several
times in your trials; but if you haven't, cycle power on everybody.
This has the effect of re-assigning the dynamic IDs, and can resolve
conflicts. This is a rare problem (the whole point of dynamic IDs is
to avoid such conflicts), but the manual mentions it, so I guess it
can happen.

You've said that all the software is compatible. That's a common problem,
but if you've checked that carefully, then it's not your problem.

If all else fails: you just might have a bad cable or connection box.
(Connection box, probably, since the SEs and the LW can communicate
across the length of the net.) I've never heard of such a thing, but
hardware, like the flesh, is fallible. Try swapping the cables and boxes
amongst the machines to see if the symptoms change.

If *none* of that works, call a witch doctor; you've got gremlins. :-(

Extra disclaimer: I'm not a LocalTalk guru; just a daily user. Perhaps
an expert will chime in with better advice.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1    rmh@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-O |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (08/02/88)

In article <14871@apple.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
>In article <25255@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> abbott@dean.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (+Mark Abbott) writes:
>
>>A couple of questions.  1:  I've got a very small localtalk network which
>>is giving me a strange problem.  The setup is:
>>
>>Mac SE		Mac SE		Mac+		LW+
>>  |		  |		 |		 |
>>  |		  |		 |		 |
>>  |______________|______________|_______________|
>>
>>The problem is that the Mac+ can't seem to find the LW+.  Chooser won't
>>turn up the LW when I choose the LW driver.  However, if I cut off the
>>two SEs so that the network is just the Mac+ and the LW, the problem goes
>>away.  The two SEs never seem to have any trouble finding the LW.
>>All the software is compatible.  I'm baffled.  Anybody got suggestions?

>Check your "AppleTalk Personal Network" manual, to be sure you've got it
>all cabled correctly. Any dangling cables at the ends?

Good advice.  Usually this sort of problem is caused by a broken cable.
This is especially a problem if the wiring has been done in-house and
the connections are none too good.

>The manual also shows every connection using a connection box; at the
>ends, one of the two "outlets" is empty. I don't think it hurts to simply
>omit the connnection boxes at the ends, and just plug in the cable directly
>(for one thing, I've done it that way myself);...

NOOOOO!  I'm not sure that the Appletalk connectors will even plug into the
serial ports directly, but that white box is more than just a wiring splitter.
It contains an impedance matching transformer, and termination networks for
both the Mac and the network.  The worst thing is that it would probably work.
Sometimes.  With short cabling.  On every odd Tuesday and when no one was
looking...

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

md32+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Joseph Darweesh) (03/20/89)

Could someone please help me by giving me the return e-mail
address for this e-mail...
Thanks,
-Mike Darweesh
-Carnegie Mellon University
-md32@andrew.cmu.edu
------------------------------
Forwarded message begins here:
------------------------------
Date: 3 Mar 89 10:05:00 EST
Subject: GIF List
To: "md32+" <md32+@andrew.cmu.edu>

                         E L E C T R O N I C   M A I L
                        (DDN Host Address:  ESDVAX.ARPA)

                                        Date:      3-Mar-1989 10:05
                                        From:      1Lt. Roger Thrasher
                                        Username:  THRASHERR
                                        Dept:      ESD/ICE
                                        Tel No:    MITRE 8042

TO:  _MAILER!                             ( _DDN[MD32+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU] )

Yes, please put me on your GIF list. Thanks!

Roger D. Thrasher

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (11/13/89)

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please ... Would some
kind person Email me part one of the BinHexed WORD REFERENCE 1.2 ???????
Don't post it, at least the Email usually arrives (hopefully).

Somehow we missed it here at this site.

I have the remaining 4 parts on disk and need ONLY part 1.

Your help will be GREATLY appreciated.  I don't know how we missed it
(except that our equipment is decrepid ??)

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you IN
ADVANCE.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

news@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (The Daily News) (04/10/90)

	Hi, I own a Mac+ and time has come for change.  I need something more
Date: 9 Apr 90 20:59:03 GMT
Sender: John Philip

powerful.  My dilemma:  Should I upgrade my Mac+ or sell it and get a new
computer altogether (something like an SE/30, through the university).  If I
should upgrade, where can I get decent chips and a good accelerator?  Keep in
mind that I have never opened up my Mac and would be hesitant (but not
unwilling) to open it up to install the Ram chips.  Also keep in mind that I am
a possible Comp Sci major who currently has to do a lot of word processing.  I
(like many other students) don't have much money to spend.  I have Hypercard
and ATM fontmanager so I need to have more than 1 MEG of memory so I can use
both at once.  Right now, ATM takes up so much memory that I have to turn it
off each time I need to use Hypercard (which is often).  If it helps, I also
have an Imagewriter II and a CMS 30MEG drive.
	Please e-mail responses.  Thank you very much.
From: jp4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (John Philip)

From: jp4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (John Philip)

From: jp4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (John Philip)

From: jp4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (John Philip)