[comp.sys.mac] HP DeskJet+

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (04/10/90)

OK, I'm fully aware that the DeskWriter is a superior printer.
Problem is, I've just spent my last leveraged dollar on a very
nice mac, and would like to make do with the DeskJet+ hooked
up to my wife's PC...

I've tried HPDJ 2.1, which is excellent for freeware, but it
won't work on my ci with MS Word, McSink, etc., (unless I print
something with WriteNow first!?!)

So, of the Orange Micro, DataPak, GDT, and all the others,
which is the most transparent printer driver? Which works
the best with HyperCard, paint programs, and other strangely-printing
code?  What's the best deal?

Sure would appreciate the scoop!

Thanks,

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@imager.mit.edu  or
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

mec@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.e.connick) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr10.030811.6728@athena.mit.edu> sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:
> I've tried HPDJ 2.1, which is excellent for freeware, but it
> won't work on my ci with MS Word, McSink, etc., (unless I print
> something with WriteNow first!?!)
>
> So, of the Orange Micro, DataPak, GDT, and all the others,
> which is the most transparent printer driver? Which works
> the best with HyperCard, paint programs, and other strangely-printing
> code?  What's the best deal?

We've been using MacPrint and ATM with our DeskJet printer for
many months now. I found MacPrint to be vastly superior to HPDJ, and the
MacPrint/ATM combo to be vastly superior to MacPrint alone. You can get
MacPrint quite cheaply from MacConnection or MacWarehouse.

MacPrint works fine with HyperCard, SuperPaint 2.0, MacWrite, FullWrite,
Quicken, File, and every other program we've tried with it.

I've heard consistently bad things about the Orange Micro and Datapak
drivers, but many people seem to like GDT driver. Again, we're VERY
pleased with MacPrint and can heartily recommend it.

Michael Connick    mec@mtfmi.ATT.COM    201-957-3057
AT&T Bell Labs     MT 3F-113	        (Dept. 79151)