[comp.sys.mac] *CREATING* MS-DOS disks with SuperDrive?

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (04/10/90)

In article <602@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>So having read through the entire Mac manual that came with my IIci,
>I'm still confused; can the Apple SuperDrive *create* MS-DOS format
>disks and then put data on them (probably via Apple File Exchange)?
>If so, how does one do that?

SuperDrive can format, read and write the disk format used for MS-DOS disks,
but the Mac OS doesn't understand the MS-DOS directory structure so it doesn't
know how to find files on the disk, etc.

Apple File Exchange, however, does.  To create an MS-DOS disk, run AFE and
put a disk (unformatted or not) into a drive.  If it's unformatted you should
be prompted, else you need to select "Erase Disk..." from the File menu.
For a double-density disk be sure to select 720K and then MS-DOS.  For a HD
disk, MS-DOS should be your only choice.  Select "erase" and soon afterward
you'll have a sparkling clean MS-DOS formatted disk.  You can then use AFE
to copy files onto the disk (converting them too if you have the appropriate
translators).

Hope this helps...

steve

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/11/90)

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:
>In article <602@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>....I'm still confused; can the Apple SuperDrive *create* MS-DOS format
>>disks....

>....SuperDrive can format, read and write the disk format used for MS-DOS disks.....
>....You can then use AFE
>to copy files onto the disk (converting them too if you have the appropriate
>translators).....

Where can I get ahold of translators.  There are times when I cannot
translate files correctly and wonder if it is related to the
translator I am using.