[comp.sys.mac] problem with Pagemaker 3.02

cole@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Robert Cole) (04/10/90)

I am using Pagemaker 3.02 and trying to place some scanned files made on
a Microtek 300F scanner.  I've tried saving the files in TIFF, PS and EPS
formats.  When I place these in Pagemaker and print the file, the graphic
simply does print but text will.  If it is just a graphic alone in the file
nothing prints at all.  No error message or anything.

I've been able to print other TIFF and EPS files with no problems (from
different sources).  Any ideas on what my make this happen?  The print
spooler (Novell Netware) says it has a file queued to print but the file
just mysteriously disappears.  Thanks for any help.

Bob Cole
cole@cica.cica.indiana.edu

jness@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Joel Ness) (04/10/90)

In article 55851 of comp.sys.mac:(Robert Cole) writes:

>I am using Pagemaker 3.02 and trying to place some scanned files made on
>a Microtek 300F scanner.  I've tried saving the files in TIFF, PS and EPS
>formats.  When I place these in Pagemaker and print the file, the graphic
>simply does print but text will.  If it is just a graphic alone in the file
>nothing prints at all.  No error message or anything.
>
>I've been able to print other TIFF and EPS files with no problems (from
>different sources).  Any ideas on what my make this happen?  The print
>spooler (Novell Netware) says it has a file queued to print but the file
>just mysteriously disappears.  Thanks for any help.
>
>Bob Cole
>cole@cica.cica.indiana.edu

 Could this be caused by the fact that PageMaker doesn't actually place
TIFF files larger than 60K, but instead just links to them (and expects
to find them where they were at later)? Don't know if that still applies
to the PS and EPS versions. You should probably try things with a direct-
connect laser printer to eliminate problems related to your networking/
spooling software.

Joel Ness			       		INTERNET: jness@ub.d.umn.edu
Information Services		        	BITNET:  JNESS@UMNDUL
University of Minnesota, Duluth

dvb@inmet.inmet.com (04/11/90)

> I've been able to print other TIFF and EPS files with no problems (from
> different sources).  Any ideas on what my make this happen?  The print
> spooler (Novell Netware) says it has a file queued to print but the file
> just mysteriously disappears.  Thanks for any help.

I would suspect that your spooler does not tell you about offending
postscript commands, and just aborts the print process.

And also, from a few days back...

/* Written  Apr  5, 1990 by dvb@inmet.inmet.com in inmet:comp.sys.mac */
> I noticed trouble with printing from PageMaker 3.02 with regard
> to the Aldus Prep files and a BEG_RECODE offending command.  Supposed
> cause is a corrupted Aldus Prep file--this was not the case.
>
> Two things fixed the problem, going back to 3.01 or telling PM
> to use the Apple driver _every_ time I printed.  I opted to go
> back to version 3.01.

So what does it all mean?  Who knows...

David V. Baker
Intermetrics, Inc.