[comp.sys.mac] Looking for a Mac Hardrive.

zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) (04/11/90)

I've just about memorized the latest issues of both MacUser and MacWorld in
search of an external hard drive for my Mac Plus, and am more confused now
than when I started.  The 45 MB Seagate looks good, but it is a full $100
less than a 40 MB Quantum or Conner drive in some adds.  Is the Seagate a
bad way to go?  Is the Quantum/Conner really worth the extra cash?  I've
more or less narrowed my decision to 2-3 different places, could someone
comment on these to let me know what the best choice is?  I want at least a
40 MB drive for now, and want to limit the cost to $500 if possible, I am
considering one for $550.

The drives I am considering are the Jasmine 40MB DirectDrive for $550, it
looks like a very nice unit, including fan, switched outlets, and a fuse.
But they do not comment on the drive type, (do they make their own?) or the
speed of the drive.

Another that looks good is the Mirror Technologies V40 drive, for $447.  Is
this a good deal, or a piece of junk?

I recently read that APS dropped their drive prices, and they do have good
prices now, are they reliable?

That about does it for my questions, can someone please help me out on this
problem?  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could straigten this out
for me.  Thanks in advance.

--
  (Steve Kosloske)                  |
------------------------------------| "Cogito, ergo sum" (I think,

wvanbeek@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (William W. Van Beek) (04/11/90)

In article <3370@uwm.edu> zark@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Steven M Kosloske) writes:
>I've just about memorized the latest issues of both MacUser and MacWorld in
>search of an external hard drive for my Mac Plus, and am more confused now

At the Krannert School of Management we have been purchasing Mac hard drives
from Microtech International (800.626.4276).  Our decision was based on hard
drive reviews in the recent pubs and past experience.  Also, the drives
are now carrying a 5 year warranty (one of the best around).  The price
on the 40 MB external is approximatley $600 with the 100 MB at $925.  These
prices are general in nature and you should probably give them a call.

Note:  we use the n40 on everything from the Plus to the ci with similar
results.

Note Note:  I am not an employee of Microtech and do not have a financial
interest in the firm.  Just a happy customer.