[comp.sys.mac] Future Systems?

wahl-e@rhumba.eng.ohio-state.edu (Edward A Wahl) (04/09/90)

 I understand that current systems have been available at apple.com, but will
 future systems?  System 7.0 in particular?  I purchased a MacIIx and have
 always been happy with system 6.0.2(even though I'll be paying for it for a
 few more years). But what will happen from now on
 with the event of virtual memory?  I would like to see the updates on FTP
 at apple.com, I know that not all of us are even employed
 (HUH college-students?)  But this is a very valid question when you are flat
  broke and don't want to be technically obsolete.
 wahl-e@cis.ohio-state.edu       |             CIS/ENG Ohio-State
  "only a mediocre man is always at his best."

gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown) (04/09/90)

wahl-e@rhumba.eng.ohio-state.edu (Edward A Wahl) writes:

> I understand that current systems have been available at apple.com, but will
> future systems?  System 7.0 in particular?  I purchased a MacIIx and have
> always been happy with system 6.0.2(even though I'll be paying for it for a
> few more years). But what will happen from now on
> with the event of virtual memory?  I would like to see the updates on FTP
> at apple.com, I know that not all of us are even employed
> (HUH college-students?)  But this is a very valid question when you are flat
>  broke and don't want to be technically obsolete.
> wahl-e@cis.ohio-state.edu       |             CIS/ENG Ohio-State
>  "only a mediocre man is always at his best."

  I beleive that Apple has said that system 7.0 will be released in 2 ways:
If you want the manuals, you pay for a boxed copy of the system.  Otherwise,
you go to the closest Apple dealer w/ a copy of your original system disc
(with the Apple label) and several blank discs, and the dealer is supposed
to let you copy the system discs FOR FREE.  (I'm sure someone from Apple
will correct me if I'm wrong.)
  I don't know if system 7.0 should be released over the net.  More than a
couple of million people will want copies (unlike the (relatively) few
who needed system 6.05) and I doubt that the net could handle the load
gracefully.
  I think going to your dealer for a free copy should be EASIER than
ftping for the files, and then converting them.  At least easier for 99% of
users...

-Glenn

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr9.012338.24649@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> gbrown@tybalt.caltech.edu (Glenn C. Brown) writes:
>  I beleive that Apple has said that system 7.0 will be released in 2 ways:
>If you want the manuals, you pay for a boxed copy of the system.  Otherwise,
>you go to the closest Apple dealer w/ a copy of your original system disc
>(with the Apple label) and several blank discs, and the dealer is supposed
>to let you copy the system discs FOR FREE.  (I'm sure someone from Apple
>will correct me if I'm wrong.)
>  I don't know if system 7.0 should be released over the net.  More than a
>couple of million people will want copies (unlike the (relatively) few
>who needed system 6.05) and I doubt that the net could handle the load
>gracefully.

  Larger sites might want to try to obtain a copy, and advise as many users
as possible to obtain it from there (ie. DEC users should ftp their copy
from a local DEC machine, and not have 100 people making individual ftp's
to apple.).  I'm curious to see how many (if any) updates for 7.0 end up
being released.   I believe 'System 6.0' needed versions 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 to
actually become stable, and versions .3, .4, and .5 for support for newer
machines.  You'll definitely have a lot of net traffic if users have to
do ftp's of the set 2 or 3 times before they eventually get a stable version.

						Jeff White
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (04/09/90)

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) writes:

>  Larger sites might want to try to obtain a copy, and advise as many users
>as possible to obtain it from there (ie. DEC users should ftp their copy
>from a local DEC machine, and not have 100 people making individual ftp's
>to apple.).  I'm curious to see how many (if any) updates for 7.0 end up
>being released.   I believe 'System 6.0' needed versions 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 to
>actually become stable, and versions .3, .4, and .5 for support for newer
>machines.  You'll definitely have a lot of net traffic if users have to
>do ftp's of the set 2 or 3 times before they eventually get a stable version.

One of the larger differences between the 6.0.x versions and 7.0 is that
Apple says that they plan to seed every developer with 7.0.  This was not
the case at any time in the past.  Giving a few thousand developers a few
months to test it will (hopefully) insure a much more stable release than
was the case when a few dozen (or hundred) got a couple of weeks to test
something.
--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ron Bannon) (04/11/90)

Glenn C. Brown writes:
>  I don't know if system 7.0 should be released over the net.  More than a
>couple of million people will want copies (unlike the (relatively) few
>who needed system 6.05) and I doubt that the net could handle the load
>gracefully.
Wow!  I always thought that there were at most several thousand Mac users on
the net and of those only a small percent have the ability to access ftp sites.

Am I wrong?

Ron Bannon
bannon@andromeda.rutgers.edu
bannon@math.rutgers.edu