[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter 6.0.1

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (04/10/90)

From article <47951@lanl.gov>, by cxb@lanl.gov (Clay P Booker):

> Has anyone had any success in activating the "Disk File" button in
> LaserWriter 6.0.1?  The Dialog item is now number 25 rather than 22 as
> it was in LaserWriter 6.0 and previous.

Yes, I just enabled the Disk File item on 6.0.1 but the item number was
still 22 as before.  Seems to work fine.

I suppose I (and the other people on our net) should really just go
back to 5.2 but...  Does anyone know how to change the default
selection to be Black & White rather than Color/Greyscale?  Somewhere
there must be a reference to DITL -8191 items 23 (the default) and 24
but I couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Cliff
--
A society is not civilized until it domesticates the icecube.

Cliff Loucks  <=>  loucks@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Labs, Albuquerque, New Mexico

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/10/90)

cxb@lanl.gov (Clay P Booker) writes:
>Has anyone had any success in activating the "Disk File" button in
>LaserWriter 6.0.1?  The Dialog item is now number 25 rather than 22 as....

I just did the change on 6.0.1 successfully with item number 22, same
as with 6.0.  I assume that you are aware that the resultant file
will end up in a folder called Spool Folder in the System Folder
(if you print with background printing on).  If background printing
is off, the file can end up most anywhere on the disk, depending on
where the file pointer is directing output to, i.e. where the last
application you envoked was residing.

>....because I often use MacPS on our local Sun.   For those who do not know,
>with MacPS on the Sun, you can transfer a stripped PostScript file from
>the Mac to the Sun and have it print properly on a PS printer attached...

I tried to take a MacPS file (that says %!PS-Adobe-2.0 at the top) and
print it from the sun and I get nothing.  Printing a sun file
(with %!PS-Adobe at the top) will print on the Mac just fine.  What
am I doing wrong?
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (04/10/90)

In article <2173@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>cxb@lanl.gov (Clay P Booker) writes:
>>Has anyone had any success in activating the "Disk File" button in
>>LaserWriter 6.0.1?  The Dialog item is now number 25 rather than 22 as....
>
>I just did the change on 6.0.1 successfully with item number 22, same
>as with 6.0.  I assume that you are aware that the resultant file
>will end up in a folder called Spool Folder in the System Folder
>(if you print with background printing on).  If background printing
>is off, the file can end up most anywhere on the disk, depending on
>where the file pointer is directing output to, i.e. where the last
>application you envoked was residing.

  There was a suggestion made a short while ago to use ResEdit or equivelent
to modify the name the created file to include a folder (path) name.  Where
the LaserWriter driver specifies PostScript (ie. for PostScript0), I changed
it to 'Hard Disk:PostScript Files:PostScript', which results in all created
postscript files going in one location.  No problems encountered so far.

						Jeff White
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu (Tim Butler) (04/11/90)

In article <2173@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>cxb@lanl.gov (Clay P Booker) writes:
		[stuff deleted]
>>....because I often use MacPS on our local Sun.   For those who do not know,
>>with MacPS on the Sun, you can transfer a stripped PostScript file from
>>the Mac to the Sun and have it print properly on a PS printer attached...
>
>I tried to take a MacPS file (that says %!PS-Adobe-2.0 at the top) and
>print it from the sun and I get nothing.  Printing a sun file
>(with %!PS-Adobe at the top) will print on the Mac just fine.  What
>am I doing wrong?

I don't know, it works fine for me on an Encore multimax to a DEC ln03.
Although when I use macps it puts its own line at the top of the file, so
perhaps you are doing something wrong which is causing macps not to process the
file. The first lines of a mac postcript file:
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Title: Thesis
%%Creator: Microsoft Word

	and the same file after processing:

%! *** Created by macps: Tue Apr 10 23:45:00 1990
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
%%Title: Thesis
%%Creator: Microsoft Word

so something seems to be up.
	-tim

Tim Butler		(tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu)
Teaching Assistant	HL 103b  tel (508) 831-5424
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute