[net.wanted] PRO-350 VENIX bitmap graphics software needed..

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (05/17/85)

I currently run VENIX 1.0 on a PRO-350. I need some sample
programs that uses the bitmap directly. Although I read through
the PRO technical manual, sections dealing with the bitmap video
is as clear as mud. I really do not wish to bother disassembling
few pieces of demo programs VENIX includes for bitmap. If anyone
has asny sample programs, I would appreciate it. This also
brings another question: ARE THERE ANY PRO-350/VENIX users out
there ??? If so, it may be useful to create a small mailing list
to help exchange software, ideas, etc., without contributing to
the overall network glut. I would be willing to keep track of
such a mailing list, and distribute it to those already in the
list.

Oz	(whizzard of something or another, no doubt..)
	Usenet: {decvax | ihnp4 | allegra | linus}!utzoo!yetti!oz
	Bitnet: oz@yuleo | oz@yuyetti

michael@python.UUCP (M. Cain) (05/22/85)

> I currently run VENIX 1.0 on a PRO-350. I need some sample
> programs that uses the bitmap directly. Although I read through
> the PRO technical manual, sections dealing with the bitmap video
> is as clear as mud. I really do not wish to bother disassembling
> few pieces of demo programs VENIX includes for bitmap. If anyone
> has asny sample programs, I would appreciate it.

   I have a PRO-350 running VENIX on my desk, and overall, I'm
pleased with the performance, completeness, etc.  There are some
problems specific to parts of my work (an additional RS232 would
be very nice), but on the whole, it's a nice little UNIX(tm)
engine.

   Recently I've been playing with the graphics, doing some
early parts of a master console for a complicated test system.
The intent is to show the changing status of the system using
color graphics.  Rather than trying to manipulate the bitmap
directly, I've been using the primitives described in plot(3G).
It is possible to implement quite a lot of function, that runs
at a very reasonable rate, using these primitives.

   As an example, it takes about 250 lines of code to build a
simple tool for drawing block diagrams, with these features:

 - allows one to run around the screen using h, j, k, and l keys
 - draw rubber band lines, boxes, and circles
 - fill closed areas with a pattern
 - place text on the screen
 - create overlapping windows
 - dump the screen to /dev/lp
 - save the screen to a file
 - load previously saved screens from files

I'm running it on a monochrome monitor without the extended
bitmap board.  I have the board, and with a borrowed color
monitor, it took about ten more lines of code to implement a
"current color" and a way to select a color from the palette.
The hi-res color graphics are very sharp.

   Some things have to be done in strange order, or in mysterious
fashion, because of subtle deficiencies in the plot primitives.
In particular, the corners for windows have to be specified in
proper order.  If specified backwards, the same window gets created,
but line drawing is confined to the borders of the window (strange!).

   If you're interested in seeing the code, drop me a line.

			Michael Cain
			Bell Communications Research
			..!{ihnp4,bellcore}!nvuxd!michael