[comp.sys.mac] GIF files not universal?

seand@CS.UOREGON.EDU (04/11/90)

I thought that the purpose of GIF format files was to allow the easy
transfer of images from one computer system  to the other, but with the
problems I'm having I don't know about that.  I have downloaded (ftp)
image files from a number of net sources, including wuarchive, simtel20,
and apple.apple.com.  When  I download files from the mac subdirectory
I have no problems, and the image is viewable.  However, when I attempt
to view images culled from the msdos sections of the same sources, while
I can view them on my pc-clone, my mac won't touch them.
Any ideas?  My mac hardware is a IIcx with 8 bit color video.

Sean Daly
seand@cs.uoregon.edu

s320@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (04/11/90)

In article <9004110150.AA06501@comix.cs.uoregon.edu.cs.uoregon.edu> seand@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:

>I thought that the purpose of GIF format files was to allow the easy
>transfer of images from one computer system  to the other, but with the
>problems I'm having I don't know about that.  I have downloaded (ftp)
>image files from a number of net sources, including wuarchive, simtel20,
>and apple.apple.com.  When  I download files from the mac subdirectory
>I have no problems, and the image is viewable.  However, when I attempt
>to view images culled from the msdos sections of the same sources, while
>I can view them on my pc-clone, my mac won't touch them.
>Any ideas?  My mac hardware is a IIcx with 8 bit color video.
>
>Sean Daly
>seand@cs.uoregon.edu

Well, GIF is universal.  The problem is, Macs want the 1st entry in the
CLUT to be white, and the last to be black.  Many GIF files don't do this,
I have found.  Some programs can handle this, like Vision Lab and Giffer
(0.67 and 1.03, respectively), but others can't.  Check out the dox that
come with Vision Lab for mor details.

Oh, I'm sure you can find both at sumex...

Ted Woodward (s320@cs.utexas.edu)

Someone shot the food...