[comp.sys.mac] Ethernet printing to laserprinter

RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu (04/10/90)

     We have two Macs connected to Ethernet here.  Due to
local construction, we cannot connect them via Appletalk
or such schemes.
     Is it possible to send a file over Ethernet to the Mac
which has the appletalk link to the printer and have it
print automatically?  Would it also be possible to have
a Sun workstation send in a file for automatic printing?
     We are trying to avoid a scheme where we would have to
purchase added hardware, or to enque the files for printing
manually.  My reading of the Mac manuals suggests that the
normal system software (6.0.3) cannot deal with this.  I
would imagine that a third party somewhere would have something
that would work.
     Thanks.
Bob Grumbine a.k.a. RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu
Ignorance is curable in the willing patient.

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/11/90)

In article <90099.155956RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu> RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     We have two Macs connected to Ethernet here.  Due to
>local construction, we cannot connect them via Appletalk
>or such schemes.
>     Is it possible to send a file over Ethernet to the Mac
>which has the appletalk link to the printer and have it
>print automatically?

You might want to check out the Dayna EtherPrint, which is an Ethernet to
LocalTalk converter just announced at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco.
It's a box (list price $499, but probably hefty educational discounts
available) with thin- and thick-wire Ethernet connectors and a Localtalk
connector which will basically allow printing to Localtalk devices from
Ethernet networks.  It will also handle twisted-pair Ethernet via an
add-on connector.  It works with both Phase I and Phase II EtherTalk.

Danya can be contacted at 801-531-0203.  I have no connection with the
company, other than owning one of their products and having tested many
others.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |