[comp.sys.mac] 6.0.5 + key Event + mouse movement = jerkyness

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/21/90)

Background: MacII, ext. keyboard, 8 Mb, system 6.0.5 installed for all macs.

Problem:  When I move the mouse and press a key, the cursor freezes
	for about 1/4 second and then jumps all over the screen.  It
	is as if the keyboard events take forever to process.
	It is very annoying as it makes many mac operations such
	as shift-cliking unbarable. In word processors, moving the cursor
	with the mouse is impossible right after you finished typing.
	I find myself using the delete key and erasing long sequences
	just to add something. Not what I would call progress.

Solutions: I hope so.

	Help...
		Louis
--
| Louis Demers              | DREV, Defence Research Establishment,Valcartier |
| louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca | POBox 8800, Courcelette,Quebec, CANADA, G0A 1R0 |

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.141411.16655@asterix.drev.dnd.ca> louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) writes:
>Background: MacII, ext. keyboard, 8 Mb, system 6.0.5 installed for all macs.
>
>Problem:  When I move the mouse and press a key, the cursor freezes
>	for about 1/4 second and then jumps all over the screen.  It

Are you sure it is the new system software?  I just installed 6.0.5
on my MacII, ext.key, 5Mb, and I haven't been able to recreate this
problem.

What program were you using?  What Inits/Cdevs?  Perhaps it could
have been something else?

      o,  ,,   ,      | Bernie Bernstein                      | ,    ,,
      L>O/  \,/ \    ,| University of Colorado at boulder     |/ \,,/  \
     O./  '  / . `, / | office: (303) 492-8136                |     / ` \  ,.
    ,/   /  ,      '  | email: bernard@boulder.colorado.edu   | /        ''  \

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/22/90)

bernard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bernie Bernstein) writes:

>In article <1990Mar21.141411.16655@asterix.drev.dnd.ca> louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) writes:
>>Background: MacII, ext. keyboard, 8 Mb, system 6.0.5 installed for all macs.
>>
>>Problem:  When I move the mouse and press a key, the cursor freezes
>>	for about 1/4 second and then jumps all over the screen.  It

>Are you sure it is the new system software?  I just installed 6.0.5
>on my MacII, ext.key, 5Mb, and I haven't been able to recreate this
>problem.
>What program were you using?  What Inits/Cdevs?  Perhaps it could
>have been something else?

    Before we go on , I forgot to say one thing (i am really embarassed)
I use an "A+ Mouse ADB" optical mouse.

When I discovered this, I booted on "Systems tools 1" floppy so I
had no INITs/CDEVs. The problem is reproducible in all applications
including the finder.

Something must have been changed in the way ADB devices are handled by
the system.

We also tried on a MacSE an the problem persist.  We also have
trackballs from Abaton and Kensington.  Both worked fine with 6.0.5.

   Does anybody knows what has been changed in ADB ?

   I will call MSC technologies (maker of A+ mouse ADB) when they
open to hear what they have to say.

PS. I forgot to mention the optical mouse because I never used the
	standard mouse more than a couple of weeks during the five
	years I owned and used macs. Again I apologize.

		Louis,
--

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/23/90)

LD> Before we go on , I forgot to say one thing (i am really
LD> embarassed) I use an "A+ Mouse ADB" optical mouse.
LD>
LD> When I discovered this, I booted on "Systems tools 1" floppy so I
LD> had no INITs/CDEVs. The problem is reproducible in all applications
LD> including the finder.
LD>
LD> Something must have been changed in the way ADB devices are handled
LD> by the system.

I can confirm your problem.

I have a standard Mac SE and am using the A+ ADB Optical Mouse (which if you
excuse the plug, is a GREAT product). Anyway, using system 6.0.4, I can
move the mouse around and type on the keyboard as fast as I want and it works
with very little jerkyness. However, 6.0.5 causes big problems with the mouse
when you are trying to type.

I can live with this problem for a little while, but if it persists I will
simply have to go to 6.0.4, and hope that the problem is corrected in
system 7.0.

My guess is that they changes something with the adb port to allow
compatibility with the new Mac fx which has a new keyboard. I'll keep playing
around with it. If someone comes up with a solution or some information,
please let us know.

-Chris

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/23/90)

As a followup, here are the changes in 6.0.5 that have apparently caused
this problem:

ADB Manager

** The Apple Keyboard driver now implements a jADBProc routine on all machines.
   This fixes a bug which made international keyboards look like U.S. keyboard
   on Macintosh Portables when they were reset on wakeup.

* Implemented the full functionality of the ADB Manager found in the Macintosh
  IIci ROMs on all Macintoshes equipped with ADB.  The interface to the ADB
  Manager has not changed since the System Software 6.0 release.

* Changed the Auto/SRQ polling to only poll devices that are in the device
  table.
* Fixed _ADBOp Listen command on the Portable for commands larger than six
  bytes.  Previously, this command sent garbage in the seventh and eighth bytes
  if the data count was greater than six.
* For more information on ADB Manager bug fixes refer to MacDTS Tech Note 206:
  Space Aliens Ate My Mouse,  "General ADB Manager Run-Time Behavior" section.

- Chris

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) (03/23/90)

The jerky mouse movements of the A+ ADB mouse are caused by the AppleShare
INIT in your System Folder.  I've pointed this out to Mouse Systems a few
months ago and they have yet to get back to me with a solution (probably
something Apple did :-().  Since AppleShare is now a "standard" part of the
System Installation procedures you noticed it now instead of before.

Perhaps if more people complain to Mouse Systems we will get it resolved.
In the mean time I've learned to live with it (I *hate* mechanical mice
and have *always* used optical since I started using mice way back on the
Xerox Lisp Machines).

                                                        Jeff
--
uucp:      ...rutgers!yale!slb-sdr!shulman
CSNet:     SHULMAN@SDR.SLB.COM

jimvons@ashtate (Jim von Schmacht) (03/24/90)

Its not the OS, it's the mouse...I had one for quite a while, and finally got
tired of the "cursor creep" AND jerkiness under 6.00 (note version).  I finally
dumped it and got a Kensington Turbo Mouse ADB.

Jim v.S.
--
Jim von Schmacht    Senior Member, Project Test Staff    Ashton Tate Corporation
Disclaimer: Standard Issue

kucharsk@number6.Solbourne.COM (William Kucharski) (03/24/90)

In article <857@ashton.UUCP> jimvons@ashton.UUCP (Jim von Schmacht) writes:
 >Its not the OS, it's the mouse...I had one for quite a while, and finally got
 >tired of the "cursor creep" AND jerkiness under 6.00 (note version).  I finally
 >dumped it and got a Kensington Turbo Mouse ADB.

Sorry -- there's no cursor creep nor jerkiness under 6.0.4.  I love it, and my
wife - who's a graphic artist - wonders sometimes how she did things with the
old Mac mouse - the A+ is just more precise...
| ARPA:	kucharsk@Solbourne.COM	              |	William Kucharski             |
| uucp:	...!{boulder,sun,uunet}!stan!kucharsk |	Solbourne Computer, Inc.      |
= The opinions above are mine alone and NOT those of Solbourne Computer, Inc. =

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Christopher Silverberg) (03/25/90)

JS> Since AppleShare is now a "standard" part of the System
JS> Installation procedures you noticed it now instead of before.

Are you saying that the AppleShare INIT is built into the system or finder?
Or are you speaking of the Responder INIT which i threw out day one. The
jerkyness still exists, with no visible sight of any AppleShare INITS in my
system folder...

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (03/25/90)

As quoted from <1990Mar23.134007.4346@sdr.slb.com> by shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman):
+---------------
| something Apple did :-().  Since AppleShare is now a "standard" part of the
| System Installation procedures you noticed it now instead of before.
+---------------

Say WHAT?!

I hope there's a way to avoid it being installed; I have no use for AppleShare.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery (human), allbery@NCoast.ORG (Inet), BALLBERY (MCI Mail)
ALLBERY (Delphi), uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery (UUCP), B.ALLBERY (GEnie)

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (03/25/90)

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) writes:

>The jerky mouse movements of the A+ ADB mouse are caused by the AppleShare
>INIT in your System Folder.

	The jerkyness I am talking about is apparent even if you boot of the
"System Tools" disk which doesn't have the Appleshare client installed.

	Also, I used A+ ADB optical mouse on System 6.0.4 with the AppleShare
client and it worked fine.

	To make sure we are talking about the same problem, let me describe
the situation that shows it.  It happens when you press
a key WHILE you are moving the mouse.  The mouse then freezes for a
while (1/4 to 1/2 sec) and then jump away.  If you move the
mouse whitout touching the keyboard, the mouvement is smooth.
It makes shift-clicking hell.

>                    ...    I've pointed this out to Mouse Systems a few
>months ago and they have yet to get back to me with a solution (probably
>something Apple did :-().

	Tech support took down my name an phone numbers and said they
would contact me next week (March 26-30) after they talk with their
engineers !

>Perhaps if more people complain to Mouse Systems we will get it resolved.

	Since the problem appeared with the System software, I suspect
they are not going to have a choice.  It is one thing for a
product not to work with certain software, but SYSTEM SOFTWARE !!!

>In the mean time I've learned to live with it...

	I am not too sure I can live with it since the problem surfaces
even with modifiers keys like the option, command and shift keys,
which are all frequently required in combination with mouse clicks.

	I will let you know what happens as soon as I know.

--
| Louis Demers              | DREV, Defence Research Establishment,Valcartier |
| louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca | POBox 8800, Courcelette,Quebec, CANADA, G0A 1R0 |
|            (131.132.48.2) | Office: (418) 844-4424       fax (418) 844-4511 |
+---------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

shulman@sdr.slb.com (Jeff Shulman) (03/26/90)

Hmmmm, I guess it may have been something in AppleShare that was moved into
the System?  All I know is that I was able to make it appear and disappear
by enabling/disabling AppleShare (when I last tried it).  Let me try it
right now... yup, still seems to be related to having the AppleShare INIT
in the System Folder.  I suggest you try the experiment out for yourself
to see if you get the same results.

Also, AppleShare may *not* be standard in System 6.0.5 as I previously
suggested (I didn't pay too close attention when I did my upgrades of
admittedly already AppleShare'd machines).  Aside: I'm pretty sure it
*will* be standard (in some form) with System 7.0.

                                                        Jeff
--

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) (04/12/90)

louis@asterix.drev.dnd.ca (Louis Demers) writes:

>	To make sure we are talking about the same problem, let me describe
>the situation that shows it.  It happens when you press
>a key WHILE you are moving the mouse.  The mouse then freezes for a
>while (1/4 to 1/2 sec) and then jump away.  If you move the
>mouse whitout touching the keyboard, the mouvement is smooth.
>It makes shift-clicking hell.
>	I will let you know what happens as soon as I know.

	Well, this weekend I got tired and MacNosyed through the system
	and discovered a few things.  If I boot with the normal mouse and
	then change it for the A+ mouse, everything works fine.  It seems
	that during initialisation, the A+ mouse doesn't behave correctly
	under the news system code.  After booting with the A+ mouse,
	I scanned the ADB bus and discovered that in addition to my A+ mouse
	and extended keyboard, I had 13 or 14 other mices registered !!!
	Talk about getting a lot for your money ;-).

	I got on the phone this morning to tell them of my dicovery and
	They told me that their engineers had isolated the problem and
	that it was a hardware problem.  They will be introducing
	at MacWorld a new series of products with a new technology (based
	on only one IR led) that has the fix incorporated.  As for those of
	who already have those critters on our desk, They are discussing
	with marketting the possibility of a trade in program.  DON't call YET.
	Nothing has yet been decided.  The gentlemen was nice enough to allow
	me to post this information here so you could all know that the problem
	is now isolated and solved.

	As soon as I know, I will post again to tell you the solution proposed
	by Mouse Systems.

	Bye, Louis.