[comp.sys.mac] Adobe Reunion

clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) (04/11/90)

I saw an ad for adobe type reunion in the magazines the other day and I
was wondering whether this was a good deal. Doesn't suitcase utilities
do something similar to what reunion does? For those who don't know, it
appears that reunion puts the fonts in their respective families i the
font menu and you can access things like demi and italic from the
hierarchical menu that is accessible under the font menu. Has anyone
tried this program? Wha't the street price and does it only work on Type
I fonts?

Chris

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (04/11/90)

In article <15251@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) writes:
>I saw an ad for adobe type reunion in the magazines the other day and I
>. . .
>Wha't the street price. . .

MacWarehouse stated last week that their price was $39. They also said they
didn't have it in stock. Adobe last week said that Adobe was releasing it
this week coincident with some Mac convention, and that the discount houses
should have it a day or two after. Adobe's list is $65.

Until it is actually out, nobody but Adobe can answer your other questions.
Here's one to add: PageMaker, when accessing a file having fonts that are not
in the current system, grays out these font entries so you have a clue as to
what's happening. Does Adobe Type Reunion handle this?

Enquiring minds read tripe; I just want to know.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

egapmh@uncecs.edu (Paul M. Hudy) (04/11/90)

In article <15251@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) writes:
> I saw an ad for adobe type reunion in the magazines the other day and I
> was wondering whether this was a good deal. Doesn't suitcase utilities
> do something similar to what reunion does? For those who don't know, it
> appears that reunion puts the fonts in their respective families i the
> font menu and you can access things like demi and italic from the
> hierarchical menu that is accessible under the font menu. Has anyone
> tried this program? Wha't the street price and does it only work on Type
> I fonts?
>
> Chris

  Street price seems to be around $60. I have read that it won't do
you much good if your application uses scrolling to go thru your
list of fonts (ala Illustrator88) as opposed to a font menu
(Pagemaker).  Don't know about any font restrictions.
-Paul <egapmh@ecsvax>

In article <1990Apr11.131953.19518@uncecs.edu>, egapmh@uncecs.edu (Paul M. Hudy) writes:
> In article <15251@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) writes:
> > I saw an ad for adobe type reunion in the magazines the other day and I
> > was wondering whether this was a good deal. Doesn't suitcase utilities
> > do something similar to what reunion does? For those who don't know, it
> > appears that reunion puts the fonts in their respective families i the
> > font menu and you can access things like demi and italic from the
> > hierarchical menu that is accessible under the font menu. Has anyone
> > tried this program? Wha't the street price and does it only work on Type
> > I fonts?
> >
> > Chris
>

>   Street price seems to be around $60. I have read that it won't do
> you much good if your application uses scrolling to go thru your
> list of fonts (ala Illustrator88) as opposed to a font menu

> (Pagemaker).  Don't know about any font restrictions.
> -Paul <egapmh@ecsvax>

  Obviously the responder to Chris didn't have a clue what the
price is. ;-) He's been looking at too many $99 retail/$60 actual
price splits. I couldn't find any reference as to actual price. I
think MacWorld (latest issue) had one via a MacWarehouse ad(maybe?)
-Paul <egapmh@ecsvax>

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr11.131953.19518@uncecs.edu>, egapmh@uncecs.edu (Paul M. Hudy) writes:
> In article <15251@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, clye@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Lye) writes:
> > I saw an ad for adobe type reunion in the magazines the other day and I
>
>   Street price seems to be around $60. I have read that it won't do
> you much good if your application uses scrolling to go thru your
> list of fonts (ala Illustrator88) as opposed to a font menu
> (Pagemaker).  Don't know about any font restrictions.

Adobe's list is $65.  ComputerWare (they expect to have copies in the
store next Monday) sells it for $49.  I've heard that MacWharehouse
will sell it for $39.

"Up the airey mountain, down the rushy glen,
   we daren't go a-hunting for fear of little men..."
('cause Fish and Game has taken to hiring axe-carrying dwarves)