[comp.sys.mac] Mac 512 with SE's

mikec@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Mike E. Ciholas) (04/12/90)

In my mother's office, they have 3 SE's (20MB disk, 1MB) running system 6 or
higher.  All three are hooked to a laserwriter II NT.  Next door they have a
512 (not E) and want to hook it to the laserprinter.  What system level can
you run on the 512?  Is this compatible with system 6?  Will they get the
infamous "laserprinter has been initialized with an incompatible version..
blah...blah" resulting in delays and agravation?

What possiblities exist for bringing the 512 up to SE (or plus) status?
Anybody make accelerators for the 512?

Thanxs much.

Mike Ciholas

email:  mikec@ai.mit.edu
snail:  289 Highland Ave #108/Somerville, MA 02144
phone:  (617) 623 3563
air:    N1909C, 1954 Cessna 170B

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (04/12/90)

In article <7812@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu> mikec@wheat-chex.ai.mit.edu (Mike E. Ciholas) writes:
>In my mother's office, they have 3 SE's (20MB disk, 1MB) running system 6 or
>higher.  All three are hooked to a laserwriter II NT.  Next door they have a
>512 (not E) and want to hook it to the laserprinter.  What system level can
>you run on the 512?  Is this compatible with system 6?  Will they get the
>infamous "laserprinter has been initialized with an incompatible version..
>blah...blah" resulting in delays and agravation?

About a year ago, I had the same situation with my school. A couple SE's
and some 512Ks. I was able to put the latest system versions on the SE's,
i think we were using 5.0, although maybe it was 6.0... it escapes me now,
and on the 512Ks, I used the recommended system software, which should be
in an SE manual, but then I used the current printer drivers, and things
worked out fairly well.

In fact, i am going to be trying that again in a few weeks... I will be trying
to hook up 3 SE's and about 6 512KE's (with the double sided drives)....
i'm crossing my fingers that the 512ke's will accept the current laserwriter
drivers. Let me know how you do.

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==