[comp.sys.mac] Cambridge Z88 Info

thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom Gillespie) (04/12/90)

Does anyone have any experience with this Cambridge Z88 as a portable with
simple file transfer to Macs? Are these things worth it, and can you get it
from a distributor other than the Cambridge Group -- can you get it cheaper
than the $599 sale price. Thanks for the info.

--Thom Gillespie

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (04/12/90)

In article <35449@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> thom@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Thom
Gillespie) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with this Cambridge Z88 as a portable
> with simple file transfer to Macs? Are these things worth it, and can
> you get it from a distributor other than the Cambridge Group -- can
> you get it cheaper than the $599 sale price. Thanks for the info.

There has been a bit of discussion on comp.sys.laptops about the Z88.
They work, and within their limitations, they work well.  Jerry Pournelle
had a review in the July 89 Byte.  I think of it as a portable input
device, not as a computer.  Lots of people at Apple have them; mostly
the "gearheads."

There are two places that I know of where you can get the Z88.  Both
places bargin, depending upon who you are and how many you are buying.

Cambridge North America
800-888-3723
207-879-2200
207=879-2217 FAX

Sharp's (in Virginia)
804-730-9697
804-746-1978 FAX

There is a Z88 software server at Clarkson, available via anonymous ftp to
sun.soe.clarkson.edu or by sending mail to
archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.

Two BBS phone numbers:
703-968-9438 (Virginia)
213-370-2754 (Los Angeles)