[comp.sys.mac] What's available on CDROM?

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (04/12/90)

I'm interested in hearing about what products are currently
available via CD-ROM for the Macintosh.  What I know of so far
include:

	Manhole & Cosmic Osmo
		both from Activision -- games

	Electronic Whole Earth Catalog
		from Broderbund -- reference work

	Professional Art Library: Potpourri Collection
		from MultiAd Services/Kwikee InHouse -- clip art

	Professional Art Business Holiday, Sports, &c
		from MultiAd Services -- clip art

	Microsoft Office CD-ROM
		from Microsoft -- office applications

I know that Apple is planning on offering A/UX 2.0 on CD-ROM, as
well as the DTS disk "Bill & Ted's Excellent CD".  I also have
seen reference to MPW showing up on CDROM too...

What else is there?  Please include title, company, and a snippet on
what kind of software it is too, if possible.

		Thanks greatly for any help!

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (04/12/90)

In article <626@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave
Taylor) writes:
> I'm interested in hearing about what products are currently
> available via CD-ROM for the Macintosh.

This is part 1 of 2.  The full list in a nice format may be downloaded
from Applelink somewhere.

This list isn't complete, and it dates from February.  It doesn't list
many of the Apple special market titles.  The Bureau of Electronic
Publishing seems to carry a wide variety of CD-ROM titles; call them at
201-808-2700 or FAX 201-808-2676.

CD-ROM 3rd party product list
February 1990
 Copyright 1990 Apple Computer, Inc. Apple, the Apple logo, HyperCard,
 ImageWriter, LaserWriter, and Macintosh are registered trademarks of
 Apple Computer, Inc. AppleCD SC is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.
 PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems, Incorporated.
 Mention of non-Apple products is for informational purposes only and
 constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Apple assumes
 no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of
 these products. All understandings, agreements, or warranties, if any,
 take place directly between the vendors and the prospective users.

Activision Entertainment (mediagenic) (415) 329-0500

The Manhole CD-ROM.  Developed from the popular HyperCard program-based
fantasy adventure, The Manhole is the industrys first CD-ROM
entertainment product for the Macintosh computer. The CD-ROM version
features enhanced graphics and animation, as well as an original music
soundtrack.

Suggested Retail Price: $59.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer

Cosmic Osmo.  With more than 100 megabytes of code and music, Cosmic
Osmo for CD-ROM is an animated interactive adventure that incorporates
cartoon-quality animations and arcade game sequences to create an
environment that is truly delightful.  Explore more than six unique
worlds with a friendly alien named Osmo who, along with some other
colorful characters, encourage players to discover the unusual as well
as the familiar in this fantasy universe.

Suggested Retail Price: $79.95 Available in June 1990 Target Markets:
Consumer
. . . .

Aries Systems Corporation (508) 475-7200

MEDLINE Knowledge Finder.  Compatible with the AppleCD SC drive and the
Apple Macintosh family of personal computers, this CD-ROM retrieval
system was developed by Aries Systems Corporation for use with their
MEDLINE database. This database contains biomedical literature
citations from over 3,000 medical journals at the National Library of
Medicine and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Suggested Retail Price: $595.00 and Up for a one-year subscription
Currently Available Target Markets: Medical research, libraries, health
care professionals

PathLine.  The Pathline database includes two CD-ROM disc volumes.
Volume 1 (Archive database) contains references from approximately 300
pathology-related journals, and includes material indexed by the
National Library of Medicine (NLM) during the most recent four prior
years.  Volume II contains all MEDLINE journal references indexed by
the NLM during the current year.  This combination assures you of
comprehensive coverage of the current literature, combined with access
to important pathology literature.

Suggested Retail Price: $595.00 & Up Currently Available Target
Markets: Clinical, anatomic, experimental, and forensic pathologists

RadLine.  The Radline includes two CD-ROM discs.  Volume 1 (Archive
database) contains an archive of references from approximately 100
radiology-related journals, and includes material indexed by the NLM
during the most recent ten prior years.  Volume II contains all MEDLINE
journal references indexed by the NLM during the current year.  This
combination assures you of comprehensive coverage of the current
literature, combined with access to the important radiology
literature.

Suggested Retail Price: $595.00 & Up Currently Available Target
Markets: Radiologists

CANCERLIT.  The CANCERLIT database is produced by the National Cancer
Institute, in conjunction with the NLM.  The database is a
comprehensive collection of citations and abstracts of published cancer
literature.  Database contents are selected from some 3,000 biomedical
journals, from papers presented at meetings, and from books, reports
and doctoral theses.  The database includes all materials indexed
during the current and four prior years.

Suggested retail price: $995.00 & Up Currently Available Target
Markets: Oncologists, cancer researchers
. . . .

Bowker Electronic Publishing 1-800-323-3288 or (212) 337-6989

Books in Print Plus.  Contains almost 1,000,000 book citations
accessible via 18 different search criteria, including author, title,
subject, publisher, language, price, publication date, audience, and
keyword.  Citations are available for display and downloading in 7
different formats including Brief, Standard, Catalog Card, MARC Tagged,
Order Form, Custom, and Detailed.

Suggested Retail Price: $995.00 for a one-year subscription (bimonthly
updates) Currently Available Target Markets: Libraries and bookstores

Books in Print with Book Reviews Plus.  Includes all of the above, plus
70,000 full text book reviews from Booklist, Choice, Library Journal,
Publishers Weekly, Reference & Research Book News, School Library
Journal, and University Press Book News.  Citations are available for
display and downloading in 7 formats including Brief, Standard, Catalog
Card, MARC Tagged, Order Form, Custom, and Detailed.

Suggested Retail Price: $1395.00 for a one-year subscription (bimonthly
updates) Currently Available Target Markets: Libraries and bookstores

Varietys Video Directory Plus.  Contains over 40,000 citations for
virtually every video in active distribution.  Search by
title-including subtitle, translated title, original title & series
title, performer or director, other contributors, awards won, keyword,
hue, ISBN, manufacturer/distributor, order number/UPC code, price,
subject/genre, year produced, year released, MPAA rating, language, and
other categories.  Also includes over 1000 full-text feature film
reviews from Variety.   Citations are available for display and
downloading in 7 formats including Brief, Standard, Catalog Card, MARC
Tagged, Order Form, Custom, and Detailed.

Suggested Retail Price: $295.00 for a one-year subscription (updated
quarterly) Available Summer 1990 Target Markets: Libraries, retailers,
consumer
. . . .

Broderbund Software (415) 492-3200

The Whole Earth Learning Disc.  The Whole Earth Catalog has been a
resource for self-education and self-sufficiency for 25 years,
providing both product reviews and access to essential tools and
seminal information. The disc version of the catalog, created using
Apples HyperCard software, provides nonlinear access to this
information, as well as adding music and sound enhancements in
appropriate areas.

Suggested Retail Price: $149.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer and education Computer Music Consortium, Inc.  (212) 629-4365

ScoreMaster.  ScoreMaster is an index of music available for license by
commercial and industrial producers.  Digitized excerpts allow for
rapid previewing of the pre-produced compositions.  The first release
will include the complete catalogues of 6 of the major music libraries,
representing well over 3500 compositions scattered over a few hundred
audio CDs.  Also included is a project database tied in to the system
tracking which selections have been made for which project.  This will
allow the facility to both track their activity and help manage the
paperwork involved in the actual licensing of whatever music is finally
selected.

Suggested Retail Price:  $2500.00 Available March 31 1990.  Target
Markets:  Broadcast, video/audio production facilities.
. . . .

Comstock (212) 353-8600

Comstock Desktop Photography.  A collection of 449 stock photographs.
Comstock Desktop Photography can be used with Aldus PageMaker and other
programs that accept TIFF files.

Suggested Retail Price:  $500.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Art directors and in-house     communications professionals
. . . .

Datapro 1-800-328-2776 or (609) 764-0100

Consultant for the Macintosh.  An electronic resource covering Apple
Macintosh-related products, concepts and news for business and
professional users of the Macintosh.  Application areas covered include
desktop publishing, Macintosh LANs desktop presentation, word
processing, database management, and spreadsheets.  Updated quarterly,
the service features audio-visual critiques of Macintosh software
products, electronic comparison tables for locating and examining the
specifications of software and hardware, and ratings for major products
as determined by Datapro and its division, National Software Testing
Laboratories.  Suggested Retail Price: Published quarterly at $899.00
per year or $299.00 for a single copy Available in April 1990 Target
Markets: Business
. . . .

Discimagery (212) 675-8500

Color Backgrounds, Textures, and Graphic Effects.  An incredibly
versatile resource for desktop designers.  Contains 100 high quality
clip-photos, stored as 24 Bit color TIFF files.  Includes marble,
stone, wood, metal, skies, water, fabrics, grids, starbursts, etc.
Compatible with all popular color layout and retouching programs.
Create eye-catching backgrounds, or add textures and special effects to
graphic objects and headlines.  Includes copyright license for
unlimited, royalty free usage.  35mm color slides available of each
photograph if required.

Suggested Retail Price:  $199.00 Available:  July 1, 1990 Target
Markets:  Ad agencies, publishers, corporate communications
departments, schools.

The Professional Photography Collection CD-ROM.  Contains 100
royalty-free clip-photos, stored as 24 bit color TIFF, and 8 Bit Black
and White TIFF files.  Includes copyright license for unlimited use in
ads, brochures, demonstrations, software, newsletters, and countless
other uses.  Compatible with Macintosh and PC's.  Photographs can be
retouched, combined and manipulated using many popular software
programs.  All photos also available as 35mm color slides at low cost
if required for final reproduction.

Suggested Retail Price:  $149.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Publishers, corporate communications departments, schools.
. . . .

Discovery Systems (614) 761-2000

PD-ROM.  This disc, which is produced in conjunction with the Berkeley
Macintosh User Group, contains several hundred megabytes of
public-domain software, shareware, clip art, and technical information
for Macintosh users.

Suggested Retail Price: $100.00 Currently Available Target Market:
Consumer Educorp Computer Services 1-800-843-9497

Educorp CD-ROM 4.0.  Contains over 625 megabytes of public domain and
shareware software accessible through a HyperCard interface.  Software
categories include: Utilities, DAs, Games, Clip Art, Business,
Education, Fonts, Sounds, Graphics, Programming, Communications,
Productivity, HyperCard stacks and more.  The interface allows you to
view pictures and fonts, read instructions, hear sounds, and see a
description of the file before choosing it.  A click of the mouse will
launch the program or copy the program to your hard disk drive or
floppy.

Suggested Retail Price: $199.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer and education

Exotica-ROM.  This is the first Macintosh CD-ROM dedicated to a single
artists work.  This electronic gallery features exotic art painted by
the world-famous artist Olivia, scanned in brilliant color, grayscale,
and black and white.  The over 300 high-quality reproductions on this
disc make it a true collectors item.

Suggested Retail Price: $199.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer

Educorp Clip Art CD-ROM.  The disc contains over 90 megabytes of EPS
art, laser art, bit-mapped images.  Utilities are also provided to help
you manipulate the images.  Catagories include: animals, business,
people, cars, home, sports, tools, and maps.

Suggested Retail Price: $59.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer, schools, business

Educorp Stacks CD-ROM.  This CD has over 150 megabytes of Stackware
from Educorp's library of public domain and shareware software.  The
disc includes a HyperCard interface for locating files.  HyperTalk
utilities, XCMDs, XFCNs, and games are examples of some the software on
this disc.

Suggested Retail Price: $59.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer

BABEL-ROM: The Language CD-ROM.  Contains Hyperglot Software's language
tutors on one CD-ROM.  Learn to speak Russian, Spanish, French, German,
or Japanese.  The disc includes lessons on grammer and pronounciation.

Suggested Retail Price: $499.00 Available March 1990 Target Markets:
Home, schools, business
. . . .

Facts on File (212) 683-2244

Public Domain Software on File.  A collection of nearly 200 Apple II
programs for beginners and advanced users.  Programs offer a broad
spectrum of business, personal finance, word processing, speed reading,
entertainment, and home management subjects.

Suggested Retail Price:  $195.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business, education, and home   management

Facts on File News Digest.  A fully indexed, weekly compilation of
national and foreign news gathered from leading United States and
international news sources.  The Facts on File News Digest  currently
covers 1980 through 1988; updates will be provided annually ($195.00
each).

Suggested Retail Price:  $770.00Current         subscribers
($670.00Others) Currently Available Target Markets:  Libraries and
schools
. . . .

Farallon Computing, Inc.  (415) 596-9100

MediaTracks Multimedia Pack - CD-ROM Version.  Contains two basic
components:  MediaTracks - A group of programs that allow you to
record, edit, and playback any Macintosh screen activity, and combine
it with graphics, sound, and HyperCard-like buttons for controlling
playback and navigation within a presentation. and MacRecorder Sound
System - A group of programs that let you record, edit, playback, and
modify sound.  The MacRecorder Sound System includes a hand-held
digitizer, with a microphone and inputs for other audio sources, that
lets you record sound directly into your Macintosh.  In addition, the
disk includes extensive on-line tutorials, example tapes made using
MediaTracks, and a variety of other support materials.

Suggested Retail Price: $495.00 Available 2nd calendar quarter 1990
Target Markets: Training, including interactive tutorials, product
demonstrations, and on-line  documentation.
. . . .

Grolier Electronic Publishing, Inc.  1-800-356-5590

The Electronic Encyclopedia.  Based on the Grolier Academic American
En-cyclopedia, The Electronic Encyclopedia contains more than 9 million
words and 30,000 articles, or 90 megabytes, of information.
Sophisticated indexing and cross-referencing searches are possible.
Grolier also offers Online Encyclopedia, the most widely distributed
on-line educational database in the world.  The 1990 edition will also
include hundreds of digitized illustrations and photographs.

Suggested Retail Price: $395.00 Currently Available (1990 version in
May) Target Markets:  Education, consumer, libraries
. . . .

Highlighted Data (703) 241-1180

Merriam-Websters Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary.  The electronic
version of this best-selling  reference work features digitally
recorded pronunciations of more than 160,000 entry words, as well as
the full text and graphics of the print edition.

Suggested Retail Price:  $199.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Broad, with special emphasis           on higher education

Electronic Map Cabinet.  Information from more than nine federal
government mapping sources has been used to generate this 600-megabyte
database of United States geographic information.  Includes detailed
city street maps for nearly 300 of the countrys largest metropolitan
areas, where more than 85 percent of the nations households are
located.

Suggested Retail Price:   $199.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business, local and state      government, and education Image Club
(403) 250-1969

ArtRoom 4.0.  ArtRoom contains more than 3,000 PostScript   images.
The ArtRoom Retriever places images in your documents using any desktop
publishing program that supports PostScript.

Suggested Retail Price:  $999.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Advertising and desktop publishing

DarkRoom.  DarkRoom is a stock photo library of more than 500
professional ready-to-use photos in four categories: sports, lifestyle,
business, and travel. A photo can be placed in any desktop publishing
program that supports  the TIFF file format.

Suggested Retail Price: $399.00 Currently Available Target Market:
Desktop publishing

LetterPress CD ROM.  Contains 613 licensed PostScript fonts.  All fonts
are type one and Adobe Type Manager software compatible.  All fonts
come with an Adobe Illustrator art file allowing unlimited potential
for type based designs.

Suggested Retail Price: $4999.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Desktop publishing, advertising, consumer

Art & Type Vendor CD ROM.  Contains 613 type one licensed PostScript
fonts and twenty volumes of award winning clip art.  By purchasing
access keys over the phone, the user pays and has access to only those
fonts that are needed.  Twenty fonts and a variety of clip art are
included with the initial purchase.

Suggested Retail Price: $199.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Desktop publishing, advertising, consumer
. . . .

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (04/12/90)

This is part 2 of 2.

Laserscan Systems, Inc.  (305) 739-7715

RealScan Real Estate Information System.  RealScan provides information
on all properties in selected Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas
(SMSAs).  Data includes ownership, property type, lot size, sale
history, and mortgages, as well as detailed information on buildings
(number of bedrooms and bathrooms, dimensions, and amenities).
Currently available for Dade and Broward counties in Florida, RealScan
will be offered to 25 other major metropolitan areas by 1990.

Suggested Retail Price: $995.00 for software; updates are $275 monthly
Currently Available Target Markets:  Real estate brokers  (commercial
and high-end property), banks, government agencies, lending services
(mortgage  companies, banks, and so on) and lawyers
. . .
Letraset 1-800-343-TYPE

Letraset Studio Line CD.  Letrasets Studio Line of graphic design
software for the Macintosh is a complete set of electronic tools for
the design, creation, and production of print media or video
materials.  DesignStudio delivers a professional page layout program;
ColorStudio provides true-color image manipulation or creation with
access to high-end output devices; LetraStudio delivers high quality
display typography and special effects with       access to all the
popular Macintosh typefaces; ImageStudio supports full grayscale image
manipulation or creation; and FontStudio allows the creation of that
special logotype from an existing font, or the invention of an entirely
new one.     Using CD technology, the user has the con-  venience of
the entire StudioLine at his fingertips.  In addition with audio-visual
animation, Letraset    is able to deliver a compendium of information
about adjacent services and products, which is    vital to anyone
building an electronic graphic arts studio.  There is also a friendly
Hypercard stack to

Suggested Retail Price: TBA Available Second Quarter 1990 Target
Markets:  Graphic arts professionals, including creative, designers,
and production artists.
. . .

MacroMind, Inc.  (415) 442-0200

MacroMind CD-ROM.  A collection of clip animations, clip art, clip
sounds, charts and black & white movies.  It is designed for
professionals and presenters who can use a database of animation and
art for their own presentations. The disc can be viewed without the use
of MacroMind Director.

Suggested Retail Price: $195.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business,education, artists, animators
. . .
Media Clip-Art, Inc.  (609) 795-5993

CD-650.  This disc contains 650 megabytes of color and  black-and-white
images that can be altered, sized, scaled, sheared, and rotated using
Adobe Illustrator 88 or Aldus Freehand. The images are from a wide
variety of categories such as: food and beverage, occupations, sports,
technology, industry/trade, and animals.

Suggested Retail Price: $495.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business, education, desktop publishing, travel, and entertainment
. . .
Microsoft 1-800-227-6444 or (206) 882-8080

The Microsoft Office.  A collection of four popular business
applications on CD-ROM: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft
PowerPoint, and Microsoft Mail.  Included on the disc is the entire
documentation, HyperCard navigational tools, templates, clip art and a
number of third-party applications that enhance the value of The
Microsoft Office.

Suggested Retail Price: $949.00 Currently Available Target Market:
Business
. . .

Multi-Ad Services, Inc.  (309) 692-1530

ProArt Trilogy 1 CD-ROM.  A CD-ROM from the ProArt Professional Art
Library, this disc contains three collections of PostScript images for
desktop publishing and presentation systems. The Business, Holidays,
and Sports collections each contain more than 100 files, for a total of
more than 300 high-quality illustrations.  Suggested Retail Price:
$375.00 Currently Available Target Markets: Desktop publishing and
presentations, and graphic arts

Ad-Builder Electronic.  This product is designed for the advertising
professional who needs a continuous supply of high-quality desktop
graphic images and complete advertising ideas. Subscribers receive a
CD-ROM every other month with seasonal ideas, headings, borders,
illustrations, and so on.

Suggested retail Price: $145.00 per month Currently Available Target
Markets: Desktop publishing,             advertising, and presentation

Multi-Ad Creator.  The first Macintosh application designed and created
to take advantage of CD-ROM, this product combines the power and text
handling capabilities of page layout software, with the graphics
handling of object-oriented programs. This unique combination, with the
addition of the programs own interactive abilities, has created a new
program category for the layout of single-page documents and display
advertisements.

Suggested Retail Price: $995.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Desktop publishing,             advertising, and presentations

Inhouse PAL Potpourri.  Contains 300 illustrations covering a variety
of subjects including: animals, careers, education, food, sports,
holidays, leisure, religion, hearts, flowers, and vacation.  PAL can be
imported into any program that accepts EPS art.

Suggested Retail Price: $189.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Desktop publishing
. . .

OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.  (614) 764-6474

OCLC has long been a leader in publishing CD-ROMs for use in the
library. Now, with the introduction of the Macintosh version of the
access software, its line of discs becomes available to Macintosh
computer users. Includes resources for science and industry,
agriculture, and education (including the ERIC database).

Suggested Retail Price: Prices for individual   discs range from
$300.00 to $2,195.00 Available Winter 1990 Target Markets:  Libraries
and research facilities
. . .
Optical Media International (408) 395-4332

Universe of Sounds.  The Universe of Sounds disc contains thousands
of sound samples using DigiDesigns Sound Designer sound file format.
Universe of Sounds Volume I features percussion; Volume II features
musical instruments, synthesizers, and percussion samples.

Suggested Retail Price:  $399.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Professional music studios     and audio postproduction for film and
video

Desktop Sounds Volume 1.  Volume 1 of Desktop Sounds is a CD-ROM
containing 400 digitally recorded, professional-quality sound effects,
music effects, and percussion samples in the Apple Sound Resource
format.  The disc contains a HyperCard user interface for finding,
editing, auditioning, and moving sounds into various Macintosh
applications.

Suggested Reatil Price: $120.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business, desktop presentations, and education
. . .
Personal Bibliographic Software, Inc.  (313) 996-1580

Pro-Cite for the Macintosh.  Pro-Cite, a Macintosh bibliographic
information management application, is now compatible with the Aries
Systems Knowledge Finder retrieval system, allowing effortless
importation of data from the MEDLINE medical databases.

Suggested Retail Price:  $395.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Library sciences and academic research, professors, and higher
education

Biblio-Link interface for Pro-Cite Records downloaded from the Aries
Systems Knowldge Finder retrieval system can be put directly into a
Pro-Cite database with this Pro-Cite companion product.  Suggested
Retail Price:  $195.00 Currently Available Target Markets: Library
sciences and academic research, professors, and higher education
. . .

Quantum Access, Inc.  (713) 622-3211

ClubMac.  This collection of public-domain software contains more than
400 megabytes of applications, files, utilities, and HyperCard stacks,
as well as other useful information.  Includes a resource for bulletin
board services and Apple User Groups, and a Classified Ads section.

Suggested Retail Price: Published quarterly at $350.00 per year;
$199.00 per single copy Currently Available Target Markets: Consumer
and technical
. . .
Semaphore Corporation 408-688-9200

A Quarter Million Mac Users.  This disk contains over 250,000 names and
addresses of Macintosh users in the United States.  Over 42,000 of the
records include phone numbers.  The complete Mac-style interface makes
full use of multiple windows, instant lookups, and scrolling through
the database.  Users can be located by ZIP code and address, by phone
number, by personal name, or by company name.  Any selection of records
can be exported to custom files.

Suggested Retail Price:  $4900.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Vendors of Macintosh products and services

Z-5.  This disc contains the U.S. Postal Service national database of
addresses and five-digit ZIP codes.  Z-5 lists the correct name for all
cities and post offices, and the correct street names and house number
ranges for all cities with multiple ZIP codes for streets.  Z-5 is
useful for ZIP lookup and verification, comparing or merging mailing
lists, and address correction.  Z-5 can be shared by any number of
users over a network.  Suggested Retail Price:  $299.00 Currently
Available Target Markets:  Business Irv Brechners Industry Lists.  This
disc contains over 27,000 names and addresses organized as ten
different mailing lists:  computer stores, software developers, value
added resellers, consultants, laser printer users, hardware developers,
distributors, mail order dealers, computer journalists, and CAD/CAM
specialists.  The complete Mac-style interface makes full use of
multiple windows, instant lookups, and scrolling through the database.
Names and addresses can be located by ZIP code and address or by
company name.  Any selection of records can be exported for custom
mailings.

Suggested Retail Price:  $1900.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Business
. . .
Software Mart, Inc.  (512) 346-7887

CD-ROM Developers Lab.  The CD-ROM Developers Lab is a comprehensive,
multimedia production reference for creating CD-ROM applications.
Unlike expensive seminars, this innovative resource assembles on your
desktop a fully searchable, full-text database of proven how-to
information on design, programming, project management, data
preparation, assembly, and the mastering process.

Suggested Retail Price: $795.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Anybody thinking of developing a CD-ROM.

Media-Mixer.  Contains a set of subroutine libraries that allows
developers to prototype and create full-text or multimedia CD-ROM
databases and retrieval software.  Tools are written in Turbo Pascal
and Microsoft C.  Some data preparation tools are UNIX-based.  Licenses
are available for source code usage.  Suggested Retail Price: Usage
licenses start at $1750.00.  Source code licenses start at $3500.00.
Currently Available Target Markets: Anybody thinking of developing a
CD-ROM.
. . .

SuperMac Technology (408) 245-2202

PixelPaint Art CD-ROM.  The disc contains PixelPaint Professional, the
first true-color paint program for the Macintosh.  Included on the
CD-ROM are over 100 8-bit and 32-bit color images as well as a
SuperCard tutorial and documentation.  A slideshow program allows
theusertoautomaticallyviewallthefilesontheCD ROM.

Suggested Retail Price:  $799.00 Available Summer 1990 Target Markets:
Graphic designers, industrial designers, illustrators, archictects,
fashion designers, scientific illustrators, desktop publishers
. . .
The Voyager Company (213) 451-1383

Ludwig Van Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 Voyager CD Companion Series, By
Robert Winter.  Noted music historian, pianist and UCLA professor
Robert Winter explores Beethovens Ninth Symphony, painting a vivid
picture of the com-posersworld,explainingtheinnerworkingsofthe music in
a lively and entertaining fashion, and ap-plying these explanations to
a close reading of the work. The package contains a five-part HyperCard
program plus a commercially available compact disc recording of
Beethovens Ninth Symphony. First in a new series that combines the
interactivity of HyperCard with a CD audio disc to provide insight into
a specific piece of music, using text, graphics and audio examples
taken from the CD.

Suggested Retail Price: $99.95 Currently Available Target Market: Home,
school,higher education, music enthusiasts

The Voyager AudioStack.  Create your own Beethoven-like stack using
this toolkit for controlling commercial off-the-shelf CDs from
HyperCard.  This toolkit lets you play and precisely control any
commercially available audio CD from your Macintosh.  Select your
favorite artist or recording, then use the toolkit with Hypercard to
create your own multimedia work.  Included in this package is a CD of
popular show tunes to get you started.

Suggested Retail Price:  $99.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
All Macintosh users, developers and music lovers
. . .

UniDisc (415) 962-0577

Guinness Disc of Records 1990.  The Guinness Disc of Records 1990 is a
multimedia CD-ROM product based on the world's best-selling copyrighted
book, the Guinness Book of Records.  Published by Pergamon Compact
Solution of London, England, the Guinness Disc of Records 1990 brings
world records to life by using pictures, sound, and animation.
Included on the disc are:  5000 comprehensive world records, all
searchable; 300 color photographs; 30 minutes of sound; 25 animations.
Most of the color photographs have never been seen in the U.S.  The
audio includes such things as the worlds fastest backward talker,
talking to you right through your Macintosh.

Suggested Retail Price:  $125.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Education and consumer
. . .
Warner New Media (818) 955-9999

Audio Notes #1:  The Magic Flute.  The first in a Music Discovery
series, Mozarts The Magic Flute, fills three CD-ROM discs with both
HyperCard stacks and CD audio content.  Roger Englander, the television
producer of Bernsteins Young Peoples Concerts, provides music
commentary.  Includes the original German libretto and the English
translation, as well as newly recorded sidebars about the music, the
symbolism and opera forms.  Linear play time exceeds 210 minutes.

Suggested Retail Price (3 CD set):  $66.00 Currently Available Target
Markets:  Home and education

Audio Notes #2:  Beethovens String Quartet No. 14.  Often referred to
as the greatest work of chamber music ever composed, this quartet
receives the full Audio Notes series treatmenta virtual exploratorium
of Beethovens work, including an audio-visual, interactive activities
section on the basics of music.

Suggested Retail Price: $66.00 Available Summer 1990 Target Markets:
Home and education
. . .

Wayzata Technology Inc.  1-800-735-7321 or (612) 460-8438

The World Factbook 1989.  Called the World Almanac of the Federal
Government, the CIA World Factbook is produced annually by Directorate
of the Central Intelligence Agency.  It includes extensive examinations
of territories and countries world-wide.  Socio-economic,
Geo-political, demographic and other country specific data is
included.  The Bureau of the Census, Defense Intelligence Agency,
Defense Nuclear Agency, Department of State, Department of the
Interior, and the United States Coast Guard have also contributed data
to the Factbook.  Information in the Factbook for the U.S. and U.S.
dependencies was compiled from material in the public domain and does
not represent Intelligence Community estimates.

Suggested Retail Price: $99.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer

U.S. Civics/U.S. Citizenship.  The U.S. Civics Disc is designed
especially for persons seeking U.S. citizenship, researching the
origins of the U.S., and teaching American history.  The database was
acquired from the U.S. Department of Justice Immigration and
Naturalization Service series known as the Federal Citizenship
Instructors, Citizenship Education and Naturalization Information,
United States History 1600-1987 Level I and II, U.S. Government
Structure Level I and II.

Suggested Retail Price: $99.00 Currently Available Target markets:
Education and persons seeking U.S. citizenship

Seals in the U.S. Federal Government.  The Seals CD-ROM contains 588
identifying images of the U.S. Federal Government at 300 dots-per-inch
in the TIFF format.  A HyperCard stack provides user friendly and quick
access to each image.  The CD-ROM also ships with TIFF image viewing
software, which allows you to view each image directly.  All seals and
devices contained on the Seals CD-ROM represent art on file at the
Government Printing Office.  The seals and devices have been approved
by the departments and agencies they represent.  They are subject to
change at any time.

Suggested Retail Price: $69.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Consumer

QuickArt.  Contains over 2200 crisp images at 300 dots-per-inch in the
TIFF format.  A HyperCard stack provides user friendly and quick access
to each image.  The CD-ROM also ships with TIFF software which allows
you to view each image directly.  QuickArt provides top quality,
reproduction clarity images which are ideal for importing into your
favorite page layout or desktop publishing program.

Suggested Retail Price: $249.95 Currently Available Target Markets:
Desktop publishing and consumer
. . .
Xiphias (213) 821-2790

Time Table of Science & Innovation.  An interactive history of
scientific development featuring stories from more than 6,000 important
events taken from more than 50 reference works.  Bibliographic
citations and keyword searches are provided.  This product uses Xearch,
the companys proprietary HyperCard retrieval engine.

Suggested Retail Price:  $185.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Marketed as an encyclopedia for all age groups and as an educational
tool for K-12 students, high school students and undergraduates

The National Directory.  A compendium of the key listings for North
Americas businesses, industries, and government agencies. This disc
boasts over 120,000 up-to-date   listings, plus more than 80,000 fax
numbers. The accompanying software can rapidly find any listing, and
then auto dial via modem, auto fax via      fax modem, and print
mailing labels with Apple LaserWriter or ImageWriter products.

Suggested Retail Price: $195.00 Currently Available Target Markets:
Telemarketers, direct mail, research and general business