[comp.sys.mac] SimCity Help Wanted: Detroit Scenario

munson@fir.Berkeley.EDU (Ethan V. Munson) (04/08/90)

I have been playing SimCity recently and have been frustrated by
the Detroit scenario.  I wonder if anybody out there has figured out how
to make the finances of Detroit work (i.e. get out of the red) while
actually reducing crime.  Obviously you need to do some redevelopment
to increase land values but I haven't been able to figure out an
approach that works.  It's easy to reduce crime with police stations,
but hard to afford them.

Feel free to post a reply, but try to send it by mail, too.

Ethan Munson
munson@yew.Berkeley.EDU

lawf@cellar.bellcore.com (Lawrence Fan) (04/09/90)

In article <23804@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, munson@fir.Berkeley.EDU (Ethan V. Munson)
writes:
|> I have been playing SimCity recently and have been frustrated by
|> the Detroit scenario.  I wonder if anybody out there has figured out how
|> to make the finances of Detroit work (i.e. get out of the red) while
|> actually reducing crime.  Obviously you need to do some redevelopment
|> to increase land values but I haven't been able to figure out an
|> approach that works.  It's easy to reduce crime with police stations,
|> but hard to afford them.
|>
|> Feel free to post a reply, but try to send it by mail, too.
|>
|> Ethan Munson
|> munson@yew.Berkeley.EDU

While we are talking about SimCity, does anyone know if it will run on a Mac
Plus?  I only have a plus at home and don't want to get that game if it
only runs in color.

Lawrence Fan                                        Bell Communications Research
lawf@cellar.bae.bellcore.com                               Phone: (201)-699-5026
Room 4D-506 444 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08873

Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (04/11/90)

In an article of <9 Apr 90 15:46:48 GMT>, lawf@cellar.bellcore.com (Lawrence
Fan) writes:

 LF>While we are talking about SimCity, does anyone know if it will run on
 LF>a Mac
 LF>Plus?  I only have a plus at home and don't want to get that game if it
 LF>only runs in color.

Make sure that you get the MONO version and you should not have any problems.

Leo Bores, M.D.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!14!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (04/12/90)

In article <16382.26238A2C@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Leo.Bores@f14.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) writes:
>In an article of <9 Apr 90 15:46:48 GMT>, lawf@cellar.bellcore.com (Lawrence
>Fan) writes:
>
> LF>While we are talking about SimCity, does anyone know if it will run on
> LF>a Mac
> LF>Plus?  I only have a plus at home and don't want to get that game if it
> LF>only runs in color.
>
>Make sure that you get the MONO version and you should not have any problems.

DO NOT BUY THE MONOCHROME VERSION! It is copyprotected, and does not run
under MultiFinder.

The color version is real neat, though. It is not copyprotected, and
it runs under MultiFinder. Why the company made a different package
for the monochrome version is beyond me.

Obnoxiously, they did not warn the buyer that the MONOCHROME version
was less than useful, there is no sign on the box that says "Finder
Only" and/or "Copyprotected" - I screamed and ranted when I discovered the
problems (and then got on the phone to them, and screamed and ranted
some more. They claimed they would soon offer an upgrade to a
MF-friendly, non-copyprotected version. I have yet to see that offer,
and it has been a while.)

-- Sigurd
--
Hard mail:
 ERL 456              | Internet:  meldal@anna.stanford.edu

phone: +1 415 723 6027
fax:   +1 415 725 7398

ahl@saussure.technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) (04/12/90)

In article <67@ithink.stanford.edu> meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) writes:

   Obnoxiously, they did not warn the buyer that the MONOCHROME version
   was less than useful, there is no sign on the box that says "Finder
   Only" and/or "Copyprotected" - I screamed and ranted when I discovered the
   problems (and then got on the phone to them, and screamed and ranted
   some more. They claimed they would soon offer an upgrade to a
   MF-friendly, non-copyprotected version. I have yet to see that offer,
   and it has been a while.)

The new version is available - it was sent to me a month or so ago
when my original got trashed because the game hung.  Perhaps if you
were to call them again, they might send it to you.

The replacement version uses a lookup table when you start the game -
it prompts you with a set of three symbols, etc.  Not the easiest
thing to navigate, but if it's a choice between that and
copy-protection...  The table is printed on a sort of burgundy-
coloured paper to discourage photocopying.

Tony.

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (04/13/90)

In article <AHL.90Apr12201626@saussure.technix.oz.au> ahl@saussure.technix.oz.au (Tony Landells) writes:
>In article <67@ithink.stanford.edu> meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) writes:
[..]
>The new version is available - it was sent to me a month or so ago
>when my original got trashed because the game hung.  Perhaps if you
>were to call them again, they might send it to you.

[..]
I just received version 1.2 (monochrome) because 1.1 broke when I
upgraded to System 6.0.5. I turns out, Maxis didn't even know, 6.0.5
existed (!?!), and consequently even SimCity 1.2 is still broken with
6.0.5.

Can anyone comment on the color version and 6.0.5? My setup is Mac II,
8MB Ram, PMMU, tested SimCity with all but a couple of inits disabled.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)