[comp.sys.mac] enormous fonts

thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) (04/11/90)

I have an HP Deskwriter and was wondering if anyone had some large size fonts
for the families listed below.  (i.e. I need 4X fonts.  So sizes like 48 and
72 point, and 36 point would be extremely helpful.

Boston
Avant Garde
Bookman
Calligraphy
florence
Venice
Zaph Chancery
New Century Schoolbook
Helvetica Narrow

Thanks in advance.

---Derek Fong
fong@cive.stanford.edu
thewho@portia.stanford.edu

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson) (04/12/90)

In article <11037@portia.Stanford.EDU> thewho@portia.Stanford.EDU (Derek Fong) writes:
>I have an HP Deskwriter and was wondering if anyone had some large size fonts
>for the families listed below.  (i.e. I need 4X fonts.  So sizes like 48 and
>72 point, and 36 point would be extremely helpful.

The Deskwriter seems to make use of the largest available screen font,
even if it is not exactly 4x, and even if you have the chosen size installed.
ie if you have 12pt and 36pt installed and you print at 12pt the print
quality will be reasonably good (not as good as if you had 48pt but
much better than with just 12pt available)

The manual gives the impression that you need a screen font which is
exactly 4x.

What this seems to say is that we need 1 large size of each font to
cover a range of printable sizes

Note that this is based on personal (untrained) observation.
(I'm sure I'll be corrected if i'm wrong)

Does anyone know if other non-postscript printers handle fonts this way.
I'd heard that the IW LQ and LW SC can use 4x fonts but do they need
to be exactly 4x?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/13/90)

ATM will print very good looking printer fonts on Imagewriters
up to the limit of the program.  MacDraw will only go to 127
point while MacWrite will go to 500.  Neither will fully
fill that page.

On a laserwriter you have the same problem.  I got ahold on
this group a postscript file that will print one letter per
page.  Just fill in the blank near the bottom.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv   Cut Here   vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
%!
%This file defines the routine to print large characters.

%bigchar takes a string with one character.
/bigchar
 {/str exch def
  t612 setfont
  gsave
  0 0 moveto
  str false charpath flattenpath pathbbox
  /ury exch def /urx exch def
  /lly exch def /llx exch def
  grestore
  urx llx sub 2 div neg 4.25 inch add 8.5 inch 4 div .05 inch add translate
  newpath
  0 0 moveto
 str false charpath
  gsave .6 setgray fill grestore
  8 setlinewidth stroke
  showpage
 }def

/t612 (Bookman-Demi)findfont [600 0 0 792 0 0] makefont def
/inch {72 mul}def

/chrforall
{/xqt  exch def dup length -1 exch {1 add 2 copy 1 getinterval xqt}repeat
 pop pop}def
%statusdict begin /manualfeed true def end

(put text here){bigchar}chrforall
%statusdict begin /manualfeed false def end