[comp.sys.mac] 6.0.5 by ftp only

stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr7.235132.15047@uokmax.uucp>, rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) writes:
> In article <2364@tellab5.tellabs.com> kenk@tellab5.UUCP (Ken Konecki) writes:
> >In article <1465@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
> >Money doesn't grow on tress and Internet hook ups are very expensive.
> >With respect to complaining at the source, the source is Apple. News
>
> "Money doesn't grow on trees" is probably the reason. I know that if I were

When those emplyees at apple.com first mentioned that they might be soon
providing ftp access to future system software, they mentioned that the
problem was CONVINCING THE LAWYERS that they wouldn't loose any software
rights.

I believe the issue was one of being able to track who gets the software.
They were finally able to convince the lawyers that ftp tracks (logs) the
connections and thus they would know who got the software.

So the problem is a LEGAL one - the Apple Legal team is the one that won't
allow the other forms of distribution (yet?).

Stuart
--
Stuart Ericson                  AT&T Bell Laboratories
USEnet: att!ihlpa!stuart        IH 1C215

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (04/10/90)

In article <14964@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) writes:
>In article <1990Apr7.235132.15047@uokmax.uucp>, rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) writes:
>> In article <2364@tellab5.tellabs.com> kenk@tellab5.UUCP (Ken Konecki) writes:
>
>When those emplyees at apple.com first mentioned that they might be soon
>providing ftp access to future system software, they mentioned that the
>problem was CONVINCING THE LAWYERS that they wouldn't loose any software
>rights.
>
>I believe the issue was one of being able to track who gets the software.
>They were finally able to convince the lawyers that ftp tracks (logs) the
>connections and thus they would know who got the software.

  It's often been mentioned that an individual is supposed to be able to go
to a local Apple dealer and have them copy the software for you.  If this
is truw (I've never done it), do they make any records of it (ie. ask for
some type of ID)?  If they don't, I don't see ftp'ing the software is much
different.

						Jeff White
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

hal@krishna.cs.cornell.edu (Hal Perkins) (04/11/90)

In article <23016@netnews.upenn.edu> Jeff White writes:
>In article <14964@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> S. D. Ericson writes:
>>I believe the issue was one of being able to track who gets the software.
>>They were finally able to convince the lawyers that ftp tracks (logs) the
>>connections and thus they would know who got the software.
>
>  It's often been mentioned that an individual is supposed to be able to go
>to a local Apple dealer and have them copy the software for you.  If this
>is truw (I've never done it), do they make any records of it (ie. ask for
>some type of ID)?  If they don't, I don't see ftp'ing the software is much
>different.

Hey folks, remember we're talking about Lawyers here, not common sense
or reality.  I'm pretty impressed that the DTS folks managed to get
the systems software on the internet at all.

Apple's lawyers apparently have great paranoia about unrestricted
electronic distribution of the system software.  When you get it from
a dealer, presumably the dealer verifies that you're a real Macintosh
owner and entitled to it, at least to the satisfaction of the legal
types.  With most online services and with ftp, there's at least a
record showing the user id of the person who copied it.  If anyone
could copy the software and put it up for anonymous ftp on their
machine, Apple has no record of who else copied it.  Given the chaotic
state of intellectual property law, the lawyers might be right to worry.

Hal Perkins           hal@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS

kovar@popvax.uucp (David C. Kovar) (04/12/90)

In article <14964@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> stuart@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) writes:
>I believe the issue was one of being able to track who gets the software.
>They were finally able to convince the lawyers that ftp tracks (logs) the
>connections and thus they would know who got the software.

  Sounds like they snowed their lawyers very well. FTP logs where the
connection came from and who logged in. The login is almost always
"anonymous" so there goes any chance of knowing who the actual person
is. The address of the connection is an IP address (128.103.1.1 for
example) which can be resolved into a name that should include the
institution that the connection came from. Alas for Apple and their
lawyers, I can easily make most any machine use most any IP address
and pretend to be any machine I want. (There are some complications due
to gateways, other machines, and the like but in general those are
easily overcome.)

  So, in short, they have very little knowledge of who is picking up
their software and no current method for limiting it to the people
they want it to go to. If they lawyers believed that they know
who is getting their software, they're deluded.

-David C. Kovar
	Consultant				ARPA: kovar@popvax.harvard.edu
	Eclectic Associates			BITNET: corwin@harvarda.bitnet
	Ma Bell: 617-646-0428			MacNET: DKovar

         "It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."
[All opinions expressed are my own. Noone else assumes responsibility for me.]

kovar@popvax.harvard.edu (David C. Kovar) (04/13/90)

Expires: