[comp.sys.mac] Did you check out MacConnection's latest ad?

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (04/08/90)

In article <55075@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> randy@polecat.llnl.gov (Randy Futor) writes:
>geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>>   The May MacWorld just arrived yesterday.  The thing is huge.  And
>>MacConnection seems to have provided half of the bulk.
>>   Does anyone have a guess as to how much they spent for their 78 page
>>(counting fold-outs) ad?
>We discussed that very thing briefly at the BMUG meeting last Thursday
>& one of the members ( ooops!  excuse me.  "one of the *subscribers*!!
>( hats off to the legal beagles!! ) ) offered a fugure of $18k/page.

Boy, I don't think so.  First of all, I would expect that a 78-page ad
is probably a bound-in booklet, say, rather than simply 78 pages of
MacWorld.  This is lots, lots cheaper because MacConnection has to go
out and print the booklets themselves, but they don't have to pay as
much to MacWorld. Secondly, they *surely* got a volume discount.  Thirdly, I
don't think even MacWorld charges $18K per page of ad.

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (04/08/90)

In article <3804.261cbfeb@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> bary1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>In article <12532@dime.cs.umass.edu>, roskill@cs.umass.edu writes:
>>
>> I'd just like to say that in this day and age (what a terribly overused
>> phrase!), to waste that much paper on advertising is ridiculous.
>> I'm not sure who I am more disgusted with, MacConnection for running
>> the ad, or MacWorld for allowing them to run it.  I think that
>
>Concerning the waste of paper,  The glossy paper these magazines are printed
>on are made of mostly clay and very little paper pulp.  That's why they are
>unwanted by paper recyclers.
> - Bill

Sorry, but the glossy paper is not made of 'mostly clay', but is still
made from paper pulp. The clay coating is added at a later step in the
papermaking process.

With newer technologies, clay coated stock is being recycled more, and
its even possible to recycle whole magazines (staples and all).

Jeff

(P.S. I'm majoring in printing management, and my roomate, who knows
alot more about paper and recycling than I do concurs.)

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|UUCP: {psuvax1, mcvax}!ritvax.bitnet!JJW7384 +___UUCP:jjw7384@ultb.UUCP____+
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (04/10/90)

What is equally stupid about the size of the ad for MacWareHouse
(a very very good company), is that several items are repeatedly`
shown.  I.E. MacRecorder is in there about 3 times.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (04/11/90)

><>
>Item:1709  About: Re: Did you check out MacConnection's latest ad?
>Date: Tue Apr 10 11:14:11 1990
>>Oh, please. So they basically ran a catalog in the middle of MacWorld. It's
>>nothing that hasn't been done by a sampling of different companies in Byte
>>over
>>the years.
>
>That doesn't make it more acceptable.  It simply makes it commonly stupid.

What it means is that it is PROFITABLE. You know, money. The reason the
magazine and company is in business.

>>Oh please. I guess we should have people stop selling DTP packages, as I'm
>>sure
>>the number of trees used to make the paper for the MacWorld catalog was much
>>less than the number required to make the paper that was used for the proofs
>>from all the LaserWriters running DTP programs over the past month, let alone
>>the paper that was spit out of all the Linotronics. As a matter of fact,
>>better
>>get rid of all those printers or make sure people only use recycled paper in
>>them.

Actually , maybe we had better issue ration cards for paper. That way we can
send govt. agents in to check up on folks.

>It's exactly this kind of attitude that has caused our environmental problems
>today.  It's always "someone else's problem".  We here at UMass and Amherst
>in general make recycling part of our lives.  All the Mac/PC labs on campus
>recycle as well.  But for a magazine (one that often protrays itself as very
>socially aware) to print 70+ pages of one company's advertisement is simply
>irresponsible.

No , it is not "someone else's problem". It is yours , and mine. I recycle
all that paper they ask me two in my town, I collect my cans like a good boy
too.

What is annoying that that environmentalists , (like every other group with
a good basic idea and a lunatic fringe) feel that they can infringe on a
right just for thier cause.  If that magazine wants to print 1000 pages of
advertising fine. Let em.

If you really want to help, make the process to recycle glossy magazine
paper more econiomical then it won't matter.

By the way .. how much extra paper does that school you go to generate every
year printing catalogues to high school students ? How many mass mailings ??
I would suspect that more paper about that school winds up in the bottom of
prospective student lockers every year ignored than that ad took.

(geee -- this is more fun than comp.sys.amiga -- we usually only talk about
toxic waste! (insert :-) 's liberally))

"I Chopped My Uncle To Death With a Machete" -- Game Show Host.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
{uunet , ddsw1}!tronsbox!tron1    origional text is Copryright 1990.
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (04/11/90)

In article <262210db:1709.3comp.sys.mac;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>(geee -- this is more fun than comp.sys.amiga -- we usually only talk about
>toxic waste! (insert :-) 's liberally))

There are some who would say that amigas *ARE* toxic waste.  8-)

(With thanks to David Gerrold)
David Kassover
kassover@ra.crd.ge.com
kassover@crd.ge.com

roskill@cs.umass.edu (04/11/90)

In article <262210db:1709.3comp.sys.mac;1@tronsbox.UUCP>, tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes...
>What it means is that it is PROFITABLE. You know, money. The reason the
>magazine and company is in business.

Oh well...so much for the concern of the Mac community about life
in general.  Money and profit rule the day.  And I thought the Mac
world was different.

>No , it is not "someone else's problem". It is yours , and mine. I recycle
>all that paper they ask me two in my town, I collect my cans like a good boy
>too.
>
>What is annoying that that environmentalists , (like every other group with
>a good basic idea and a lunatic fringe)

I would hardly call what a stated on the lunatic fringe.  I suspose
that means anyone who is concerned about our environment is on the
lunatic fringe.

>feel that they can infringe on a
>right just for thier cause.  If that magazine wants to print 1000 pages of
>advertising fine. Let em.

Huh?  You just contradicted yourself.  You say it is not "someone
else's problem", and that you are a responsible person, but that
a magazine should not be responsible.  I don't think I'm infriging
on the rights of the magazine to ask for a little concern about
this issue.  If MacConnection (a fine company, I'll state again)
wants to run an ad, fine, but there is no need for the overblown
"catalog" they ran in MacWorld.  It only serves to confuse people
(what's a review...what's an ad..).  I just thought MacWorld would
have a little more taste, a little more concern, and a LOT LESS
GREED.

>If you really want to help, make the process to recycle glossy magazine
>paper more econiomical then it won't matter.

I would if I could, but alas, chemistry was not my choice of profession.

>By the way .. how much extra paper does that school you go to generate every
>year printing catalogues to high school students ? How many mass mailings ??
>I would suspect that more paper about that school winds up in the bottom of
>prospective student lockers every year ignored than that ad took.

Yes...that's true, but my school prints it's catalogs on newpaper quality
paper (very easy to recycle), and that is serving an Educational service.
UMass does not put out a catalog to make a huge amount of money (although,
I will be the first to admit, there is money involved).  They are not
taking out 40 pages in the New York Times Magazine to cover their courses.
So there is quite a difference.

Trying not to be a lunatic,

Damian

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|"Party For Your Right To Fight"  |  "Welcome to the Terrordome!"|
| Damian Roskill                  |                              |
| Roskill@cs.umass.edu            |                              |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

jcocon%hazel.cs.clemson.edu@hubcap.clemson.edu (James C. O'Connor III, 2841) (04/11/90)

From article <12770@dime.cs.umass.edu>, by roskill@cs.umass.edu:
> Oh well...so much for the concern of the Mac community about life
> in general.  Money and profit rule the day.  And I thought the Mac
> world was different.
>
> Damian

Take it elsewhere.  This is comp.sys.mac.

Jim

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (04/11/90)

In article <12770@dime.cs.umass.edu> roskill@cs.umass.edu writes:

[much stuff deleted; then a comment was made on waste of paper by his school]

>Yes...that's true, but my school prints it's catalogs on newpaper quality
>paper (very easy to recycle), and that is serving an Educational service.
>UMass does not put out a catalog to make a huge amount of money (although,
>I will be the first to admit, there is money involved).  They are not
>taking out 40 pages in the New York Times Magazine to cover their courses.

It is rather unclear to me that the pollution and waste generated by a large
volume of printing is lessened by the purpose to which it is put.  Are the
trees chopped down to make the paper damaged less because the stuff that
is printed is advertising for a school rather than a computer company?
Do the motives of the printers make any difference?  Is the harm
diminished because the aims are altruistic rather than financial?  What's
wrong with making a huge amount of money, anyway - Apple do it (sometimes).
What does the New York Times magazine have to do with it?

>So there is quite a difference.
There is no difference.

(By the way, has your school not taught you that "it's" is a contraction
of "it is"?  The posessive of "it" is "its" (no apostrophe).)

Jeremy Roussak

jnixon@andrew.ATL.GE.COM (John F Nixon) (04/12/90)

roskill@cs.umass.edu writes:
[lots of enviromental mudwrestling deleted]
>Yes...that's true, but my school prints it's catalogs on newpaper quality
>paper (very easy to recycle), and that is serving an Educational service.

Ohhhh, whew, well, geeeeee, serving an Educational service.  Well that makes
a big difference.  8-} (btw, are those catalogs made from RECYCLED PAPER ?)

>UMass does not put out a catalog to make a huge amount of money (although,
>I will be the first to admit, there is money involved).

Would it help if Macwhatever weren't trying to make a huge amount of money
too?  I thought not.  Would it help if they donated all their profits to
UMass (thus meeting an Educational need)?  I thought so.  **discreet cough**

Since this doesn't have much to do with Macs, I'll shut up now.
----
jnixon@atl.ge.com                    ...steinmetz!atl.decnet!jnxion

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (04/12/90)

JR> (By the way, has your school not taught you that "it's" is a
JR> contraction of "it is"? The posessive of "it" is "its" (no
JR> apostrophe).)

Oh please... let's not start this... 1) we all make mistakes occasionally,
especially if you read my article ;-) and 2) this is certainly NOT the
newsgroup to do so. Maybe there's an English or grammer newsgroup??

Here's a bit from

             "A Primer on How to Work With the USENET Community"
                             by Chuq Von Rospach

== Chris Silverberg, WPI Box 719 ========= BBS Sysop: Main Street U.S.A. =====
== USENET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu ============ 2400 baud - (508) 832-7725 ========
== BITNET: macman@wpi.bitnet ============= Fido: 322/575 - Second Sight BBS ==
== GEnie:  C.Silverberg ================== America Online: Silverberg ========

egapmh@uncecs.edu (Paul M. Hudy) (04/12/90)

In article <2105@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes:
> In article <12770@dime.cs.umass.edu> roskill@cs.umass.edu writes:
>
> [much stuff deleted; then a comment was made on waste of paper by his school]
>
> >Yes...that's true, but my school prints it's catalogs on newpaper quality
> >paper (very easy to recycle), and that is serving an Educational service.
> >UMass does not put out a catalog to make a huge amount of money (although,
> >I will be the first to admit, there is money involved).  They are not
> >taking out 40 pages in the New York Times Magazine to cover their courses.
>
> It is rather unclear to me that the pollution and waste generated by a large
> volume of printing is lessened by the purpose to which it is put.  Are the
> trees chopped down to make the paper damaged less because the stuff that
> is printed is advertising for a school rather than a computer company?
> Do the motives of the printers make any difference?  Is the harm
> diminished because the aims are altruistic rather than financial?  What's
> wrong with making a huge amount of money, anyway - Apple do it (sometimes).
> What does the New York Times magazine have to do with it?
>
> >So there is quite a difference.
> There is no difference.
>
> (By the way, has your school not taught you that "it's" is a contraction
> of "it is"?  The posessive of "it" is "its" (no apostrophe).)
>
> Jeremy Roussak

   Anyone who thinks Universities publish student catalogs for
altruistic instead of financial reasons is sadly misleading
themselves. Student enrollment is the main driver for increased
budgets.
   Also, it may be possible that MacConnection actually saved more
trees and money by putting their catalog inside MacWorld rather the
doing a separate mailing to a larger and less targeted audience. I
tend to keep my MacWorlds around a lot longer than I do catalogs I
receive in the mail or included with orders.
   I also find it hard to believe that anyone could mistake the
inserted catalog for anything but what it is - advertising.
Advertising is not bad per se. *Every* organization advertises to
some extent. In the mail order business, competition and price
margins seem to be particularly cut-throat at this time. The consumer
-you and I- buy mostly on price and secondarly on service. A dolloar
or two in product price or shipping cost, seems to make a big
difference in this market. Advertising allows you to stand out from
the masses.
   Give the guys a break. I thought it was a well done piece. Not
every month, mind you, but once or twice a year, sure. Plus, I
found out some things about the company I didn't know - ie. the
president is a woman. (For some reason, I liked that - response was
sort of "Hmmm...well *all right*.)
   There are other aspects of the computer business - manufacturing,
etc. which has a far worse track record or effect on the environment.
This MacConnection Ad is very small and inconsequential. Would you
be willing to give up your PC/MAC, or your car, or your, etc. in order
to prevent environmental damage? It's a question of life style. I
don't have much patience for gratuitous environmental sniping unless
we are willing to giveup or sacrifice something in the process.
   Are we still in comp.sys.mac? ...sorry
Paul M. Hudy <egapmh@ecsvax>
UNC-General Administration
Chapel Hill, NC

roskill@cs.umass.edu (04/13/90)

In article <2105@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) writes...
>It is rather unclear to me that the pollution and waste generated by a large
>volume of printing is lessened by the purpose to which it is put.  Are the
>trees chopped down to make the paper damaged less because the stuff that
>is printed is advertising for a school rather than a computer company?
>Do the motives of the printers make any difference?  Is the harm
>diminished because the aims are altruistic rather than financial?  What's
>wrong with making a huge amount of money, anyway - Apple do it (sometimes).
>What does the New York Times magazine have to do with it?

Well, my point was: My school prints their catalogs on more easily
recycleable paper than the MacConnection ad.  The catalogs are printed
on newpaper bond, considerablely easier to recycle.  But you are right,
the motive should make no difference.  Somehow, though, I feel that
there is more cause to print something that will be used for a mostly
non-profit educational purpose than for advertising a single company.
I think the difference I see is in the greed factor.  But that is
bias.

>(By the way, has your school not taught you that "it's" is a contraction
>of "it is"?  The posessive of "it" is "its" (no apostrophe).)
>
>Jeremy Roussak

You know Jeremy, I think it is so silly to make these discussions
personal that I won't even comment on the above comment, except to
say that I consider electronic mail to be a quick way to transmit
information, not a forum for writing.  In future, if you want to
make a correction such as the above statement, send me a personal
letter and don't waste the time of people on the net with your
need to play english-police.

Damian

|----------------------------------------------------------------|

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (04/14/90)

><> [David Kassover] (*Masked*@jupiter.crd.ge.com)
>
>In article <262210db:1709.3comp.sys.mac;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
>(HIM) writes:
>>(geee -- this is more fun than comp.sys.amiga -- we usually only talk about
>>toxic waste! (insert :-) 's liberally))
>
>There are some who would say that amigas *ARE* toxic waste.  8-)
>
>(With thanks to David Gerrold)
>David Kassover

Any how many trees did Apple kill writing manuals for the Mac when we all
know that the interface is so intuitive you don't even need them. And the
applications are so consistent that THEY dont need them ?!?!?!

(more smileys -- it's a joke people )

"Killer Psychotic Wasps From Alpha Centauri Devoured My Son" Reveals Jessica
Hahn.
 -- Exclusive Pictures Inside.