[comp.sys.mac] Word 4.0, SuperPaint, ATM Problems

jye@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (04/14/90)

I have a question regarding Word 4.0, SuperPaint 2.0a, and ATM 1.01

I was over my friend's house and we were creating a letterhead in SuperPaint
for use in Word 4.0 documents. However, to our dismay, when the letterhead
was pasted into Word, the letterhead got distorted (i.e. the alignment of
the address got shifted so that an address that was supposed to be left
justified got manipulated such that each line was not left justified). Yet,
when the letterhead was printed within SuperPaint, the alignment came out
perfectly. Suspecting that ATM might be acting funny, we disabled it and
sure enough, the alignment was OK again. (Now the fonts don't look nice!)

Has anyone experienced this problem? Could this be a bug in any of the above
three programs?

Thanks,
Jeffrey Chen
JYE@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU or
JYE@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

Disclaimer: "Write your lab report in Chinese, the Teaching Assistant will
love you for it!"

Exercise: Give the above quote to anyone studying at MIT, Berkeley, Stanford,
or any other campus filled with a large Chinese grad. student population.
Watch their reaction to this quote.

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (04/14/90)

In article <3883.26263d75@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> jye@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>for use in Word 4.0 documents. However, to our dismay, when the letterhead
>was pasted into Word, the letterhead got distorted (i.e. the alignment of
>Yet,
>when the letterhead was printed within SuperPaint, the alignment came out
>perfectly. Suspecting that ATM might be acting funny, we disabled it and
>sure enough, the alignment was OK again. (Now the fonts don't look nice!)

Well, I seem to remember something about Word having a problem importing
graphics (PICT).  Perhaps this could be your problem. I regularly use
MacDraw II for captioning and other general tasks, which get imported into
Word, without much trouble.

If you are using a laserwriter, I'v known people to print their letterheads
in the graphics package used to create them and just run the page back through
after writing a letter using a WP. If you are using an ImageWriter, this
obviously is not the ideal solution... you might try PageMaker or RSG, as they
handle the importation of data better.

Also, you might want to let your friend know that ATM has been upgraded to 1.2.
While this probably won't solve this problem, it's always nice to be using the
latest software.

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *