[comp.sys.mac] scrolling speed on faster CPU's

andyp@gvgpvd.GVG.TEK.COM (Andy Peterman) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Apr06.172601.22284@csuchico.edu> robin@csuchico.edu (Robin Goldstone) writes:
>I remember reading somewhere that a new version of the Mac system software
>would take care of the problem of overly-fast scrolling that occurs with
>the faster CPU's.  Was this supposed to be taken care of in 6.0.5 or 7.0?
>I downloaded 6.0.5 from apple but have not installed it due to numerous
>bug stories I have been reading.  But I really would like that scroll
>fix for my IIcx.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It does exist in System 6.0.5.  I personally don't find the delay long
enough, but it is definitely there.  It really helps when you scroll
through those cdevs.

By the way, if anyone's interested, I've looked through the code and the
scroll delay is fixed.  I'm suprised they didn't at least use a resource
or perhaps parameter RAM to save delay settings.  I have been using
ScrollLimit and got spoiled to being able to set my own scroll delay and
rate.  I suppose I could put ScrollLimit back in - haven't tried it yet!

	Andy

jhugart@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jacob Hugart,134E LC,(319) 335-6141,) (04/14/90)

From article <1990Apr06.172601.22284@csuchico.edu>, by robin@csuchico.edu (Robin Goldstone):
> I remember reading somewhere that a new version of the Mac system software
> would take care of the problem of overly-fast scrolling that occurs with
> the faster CPU's.  Was this supposed to be taken care of in 6.0.5 or 7.0?
> I downloaded 6.0.5 from apple but have not installed it due to numerous
> bug stories I have been reading.  But I really would like that scroll
> fix for my IIcx.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?
>
> Robin Goldstone, CSU Chico Computer Center

I have an SE/30 at home, so I sympathize.  I don't know which system
release should deal with it, but there is an INIT you can get which
will do for Scroll Bars what the Keyboard CDEV does for the keyboard.

The INIT is called Scroll Limit, and the icon consists of a 55 MPH
Speed Limit sign with a scroll bar next ot it.  It is Freeware.  WHen
you boot up, you go to the Control Panel and choose the Scroll Limit
icon.  You are presented with a sample scroll bar with the dog-cow on
one end, and a series of radio button settings that allow you to
determine the amount to scroll while you hold down the button, the
amount to scroll with each click, etc.  The scroll bar can be tested
with the settings, and the dog-cow rotates.  I got my copy of Scroll
Limit at SUMEX.

Imagine what scrolling must be like on the IIfx!

Jacob Hugart <jhugart@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Database Consulting Group, Weeg Computing center, University of Iowa

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (04/15/90)

In article <1990Apr06.172601.22284@csuchico.edu> robin@csuchico.edu (Robin Goldstone) writes:
>I remember reading somewhere that a new version of the Mac system software
>would take care of the problem of overly-fast scrolling that occurs with
>the faster CPU's.  Was this supposed to be taken care of in 6.0.5 or 7.0?
>I downloaded 6.0.5 from apple but have not installed it due to numerous
>bug stories I have been reading.  But I really would like that scroll
>fix for my IIcx.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

 According to the System 6.0.5 Change History, fixes for the scroll speed
"problem" have been implemented in the List Manager, Standard File Package,
and the Control Manager. However, as far as I can tell, the timing is not
user-configurable.

 You can get this functionality without having to install 6.0.5, though...
the freeware "Scroll Limit" INIT/cdev allows you to customize the scroll
speed on any Mac running 4.1 or greater. It should be available from the
info-mac archives, etc. (and comp.binaries.mac "real soon now" :-). The
current version of Scroll Limit is 1.2.

-ken

--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud