[comp.sys.mac] why comp.sys.mac.misc?

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu (05/01/90)

    I don't understand the point behind comp.sys.mac.misc. As far as I'm
concerned, this is what comp.sys.mac already is. Any topic more precisely
definable carries a corresponding suffix. All we've done by creating this group
is add a bunch of keystrokes to our daily news reading, as surely anybody who
reads the one is going to read the other.

    Cheers,

        Eric.

|                          (801) 581-3592                          |
|  Snail: Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84112    |
|   Fast: bi.kofoid%science@utahcca (BitNet)                       |
| Faster: bi.kofoid@science.utah.edu (InterNet)                    |
|Fastest: kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (InterNet -> QuickMail)       |
| -- The University of Utah is blameless for anything I've said -- |
|__________________________________________________________________|

spencer@osc.edu (Stephen N. Spencer) (05/02/90)

In article <60954@cc.utah.edu> KOFOID@cc.utah.edu writes:

>    I don't understand the point behind comp.sys.mac.misc. As far as I'm
>concerned, this is what comp.sys.mac already is. Any topic more precisely
>definable carries a corresponding suffix.All we've done by creating this group
>is add a bunch of keystrokes to our daily news reading, as surely anybody who
>reads the one is going to read the other.

The reason behind the re-organization of comp.sys.mac is that it dealt with
so many different topics.  comp.sys.mac.misc is the REPLACEMENT for
comp.sys.mac -- comp.sys.mac will eventually go away.  The end result is
a name change (though it's not really that) from "comp.sys.mac" to
"comp.sys.mac.misc" -- it would have looked weird to have several different
"comp.sys.mac.ABCDE" groups, each catering to its own topic, and
"comp.sys.mac" as the catch-all group for miscellaneous topics.

Was that an adequate description, Chuq?

--
Stephen N. Spencer      |"Is this heaven?"
ACCAD, 1224 Kinnear Rd. |"No, it's Iowa."

chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) (05/02/90)

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu writes:

>    I don't understand the point behind comp.sys.mac.misc. As far as I'm
>concerned, this is what comp.sys.mac already is. Any topic more precisely
>definable carries a corresponding suffix. All we've done by creating this group
>is add a bunch of keystrokes to our daily news reading, as surely anybody who
>reads the one is going to read the other.

Because once the newgroups settle out we'll be switching from comp.sys.mac
to comp.sys.mac.misc and comp.sys.mac will be rmgrouped. This will bring the
hierarchy closer to the usenet standard naming conventions.

This whole discussion was dealt with in great detail when we were discussing
the re-org before the readers voted to make the change....

chuq

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

I regret to announce that--though, as I said, eleventy-one years is far too
short a time to spend among you--this is the end. I am going. Good-bye.
		-- Bilbo