[comp.sys.mac] System 8

peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu (Steve Peltz) (05/02/90)

In article <1990May2.003335.3250@agate.berkeley.edu> lippin@math.berkeley.edu writes:
>                                        ....  What is needed is a way
>to boot from a read-only file system (currently the system folder must
>be writable.)  Then a local hard disk could have a read-only system
>partition, which is safe against all users except those both cunning
>and malicious.

Huh? I boot from write-protected floppy disks all the time! The only thing
annoying is that the system won't let you even go into the Chooser if it is
locked (for instance, if you just want to look at the current settings).
--
Steve Peltz P-ASEL C-G
Internet: peltz@cerl.uiuc.edu	PLATO/NovaNET: peltz/s/cerl

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (05/02/90)

In article <5590@okstate.UUCP: minich@a.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
: o Security  for public labs, so we don't have to have a bunch of
:   hacked inits to stay sane. Maybe network booting, as well.

Recently sl198004@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Vincent Schonau) wrote:
: This is definitely a _must_ keeps people from screwing with your system
: disks....

In <1990May2.003335.3250@agate.berkeley.edu: lippin@math.berkeley.edu writes:
: While network booting would be real nice, it's not going to keep
: people from screwing with tghe system disks.  What is needed is a way
: to boot from a read-only file system (currently the system folder must
: be writable.)  Then a local hard disk could have a read-only system
: partition, which is safe against all users except those both cunning
: and malicious.

One possibility is to erect a local RAM disk and switchlaunch to a system
on that RAM disk.  I don't think you need to write to the system folder
until after the boot, I believe in the scheme we are using the switchlaunch
is a startup application.

--

"It's all about Power, it's all about Control
 All the rest is lies for the credulous"