[comp.sys.mac] IIcx vs. IIci

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) (05/03/90)

Another advantage of the Mac IIci over the IIcx is its more extensive
virtual memory capability.  The IIcx can use a maximum of about 13MB
of virtual memory, but the IIci can use as much as you have available
on your hard disk.

--
WILLETT,THOMAS
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt4586c

In article <8823@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:

>Another advantage of the Mac IIci over the IIcx is its more extensive
>virtual memory capability.  The IIcx can use a maximum of about 13MB
>of virtual memory, but the IIci can use as much as you have available
>on your hard disk.

MISINFORMATION ALERT.  With a 32-bit clean system (which the fabled System
7.0 is reputed to be), both systems can use as much virtual memory as you
have space on your hard disk. With current systems, neither has any
virtual memory at all (I don't know what the third-party products support...)
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

daveo@Apple.COM (David M. O'Rourke) (05/03/90)

gt4586c@prism.gatech.EDU (WILLETT,THOMAS CARTER) writes:
>Another advantage of the Mac IIci over the IIcx is its more extensive
>virtual memory capability.  The IIcx can use a maximum of about 13MB
>of virtual memory, but the IIci can use as much as you have available
>on your hard disk.

  To the best of my knowledge running under System 6.0.x, all Macintosh's
have the same virtual memory capcity.  From Apple: none.  From connectix
upto 14mb - 1mb for each occupied slot.

  Having virtual memory is a function of what size Address space the OS
supports and if you have an PMMU.  I don't know of any difference between
the IIci and IIcx that would affect their virtual memory capabilities.

  I'm just a software person so I might be missing something in regards
to the different hardware on the IIci.  I welcome any corrections from
inside or outside of Apple on this subject.
--
daveo@apple.com                                               David M. O'Rourke

"Hey where'd you learn to shoot like that?" ... "At the 7-11."
     -- Marty McFly (Back to the future III)
I do not speak for Apple in any official sense.