[comp.sys.mac] Booting from an external HD

dolf@carol.fwi.uva.nl (Dolf Starreveld) (05/02/90)

bianco@cs.odu.edu (David J. Bianco) writes:

> Not being familiar with setting up a Mac system (I have used them before,
> however), I have a question for more experienced souls.
> At work, we have a Mac IIx with a 40MB internal hard drive with a rather
> cluttered system folder (since everyone who uses it feels they must make
> their own contribution to the system pool of DA's, fonts and such).
> We recently got a Syquest 44MB external removable hard disk and many HD
> cartridges.  What we would like to do is to have a basic system set up
> on the internal with DA's and fonts and such that everyone will use
> (VirusDetective, for example).
> We would also like to be able to give each user their own HD cartridge and
> let them build on the basic system and tailor it to their own needs/wants.
> So far, however, we have come to a dead end. Is there any way to
> accomplish this?
> I tried setting the startup device to be the external drive,
> but it didnt work...
Booting from an external SyQuest can work, however .... Normally, whenever
a catridge is inserted, the SyQuest goes into a state called "Unit Attention".
Only specially formatted catridges can avoid this. For this you are dependent
on the software that came with your SyQuest drive. (Or you have to buy
something decent). The Unit attention causes the Mac to skip the Syquest at
first. Since it findss a bootable system on the internal hard disk a boots
using that partition. It never gets a change to try the SyQuest again, which
would succeed, since the unit attention state will by now no longer exist.
Another reason for this not to work, may be an incorrectly written driver
for your SyQuest. In that case you are out of luck, you wil;l have to get
some other software to format your SyQyest and install another driver.

--dolf
--
Dolf Starreveld  Phone: +31 20 592 5056/5022 (FAX: 5155), TELEX: 10262 HEF NL
EMAIL:           dolf@fwi.uva.nl (dolf%fwi.uva.nl@hp4nl.nluug.nl)

CRAIG.GRIFFIN@f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (CRAIG GRIFFIN) (05/03/90)

I have a Peripheral Land Infinity 40 removable drive and setting the
startup device to the external drive works for me.  The problem might be
with the formatting of the arridge.  Many sellers of the devices tell you
not to install the disk drivers on the cartridge since they assume you
will not be booting from the drive.  I suggest reinitialize the cartridges
and be sure to install the driver software supplied with your removable
drive.  If there is a system folder on the cartridge, setting the startup
device to the external drive should work.  Let me know how it turns out.

^^^^^
The above statement expresses the views of the individual and does
not necessarily reflect the views or concerns of this place of origin.

--
CRAIG GRIFFIN via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200!CRAIG.GRIFFIN