[comp.sys.mac] Maximum Memory

warwick@oak.math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) (05/02/90)

In article <7997@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) writes:
>	When the MacOS is run in 24-bit mode (currently the default) the ROM
>	starts at 8 Meg and the slots at 9 Meg.  Thus, you are limited to 8
>	Meg of memory.  Since A/UX runs the MacOS in 32-bit mode, the lowest
>	non-ram address is the ROM at 0x40800000.  At least in theory we could
>	create a mac with as much as 4 gazillion bytes of memory.  Currently
>	we have a limit of 16 meg.

This raises a question I had thought I had found the answer to yesterday.
According to my owner's manual, the II's and the SE/30 can have up to
128MB installed in them (when 16MB simms become available). Now, if I were
to install 16MB simms (or the available 4MB simms), could I get the MacOS
to recognize the additional memory?

The question is purely hypothetical for me, since I don't even have the
spare cash to get four 1MB simms right now. I'm just curious.

Warwick Daw (warwick@math.ucla.edu)

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) (05/04/90)

In article <2670@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> warwick@math.ucla.edu (Warwick Daw) writes:
>This raises a question I had thought I had found the answer to yesterday.
>According to my owner's manual, the II's and the SE/30 can have up to
>128MB installed in them (when 16MB simms become available). Now, if I were
>to install 16MB simms (or the available 4MB simms), could I get the MacOS
>to recognize the additional memory?
	The MacOS would currently recognize them as 1 Meg simms.  Whether
	that's a yes or a no...  In any case, you would only be allowed
	to use 8 Meg of it.  Under A/UX, it would all be used, although
	the Mac partition would still be limited to 16 meg.
	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com