[comp.sys.mac] NEWS reader for MAC wanted ...

gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) (05/02/90)

In article <263DD45B.1B88@intercon.com> amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>InterCon Systems Corporation also sells a comprehensive TCP/IP package
>for the Macintosh called TCP/Connect II that includes a full-featured news
>reader.

Can the news reader use (i.e. read and update) the .newsrc file on a unix
server so you can continue to read news with other news readers as well?

--
Home: gz@entity.com or ...!mit-eddie!spt!gz
Work: gz@cambridge.apple.com

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (05/02/90)

From article <5391@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, by swanger@ducvax.auburn.edu (David Swanger):
> Does anyone have a NEWS reader for the Macintosh?

There are two nntp based news readers I know of

	o Hypercard netnews reader stack (v1.2.1) available through APDA

	o TCP Connect II (I'm waiting on my copy to arrive :-) from
	  Intercon Systems Corporation. - includes mail, ftp etc etc

				ian
--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (05/02/90)

In article <915@spt.entity.com>, gz@spt.entity.com (Gail Zacharias) writes:
> Can the news reader use (i.e. read and update) the .newsrc file on a unix
> server so you can continue to read news with other news readers as well?

Apple's HyperCard stack will import & export .newsrc files (although you
have to ship the back and forth yourself).  Ours currently does not.

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
--

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony,,,) (05/03/90)

Maybe this is a niave question, but do any/all of these work for someone
(me, that is) connected to a unix host via modem?  (ie I have no direct
connection to the host)

If not, does anyone know of one that will do this?  I would ideally like
to be able to have something automatically dial up my host and download
all the news at some pre-set time, when I'm not around, so when I get back,
it's all there!

Thanx!

Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May2.190309.27210@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>,
anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony,,,) writes:
> Maybe this is a niave question, but do any/all of these work for someone
> (me, that is) connected to a unix host via modem?  (ie I have no direct
> connection to the host)

Well... TCP/Connect II will allow you to do this through SLIP, but it will
be slow.  Unless you have a V.32 modem, doing >= 9600 bps.  But it will
work. :-)

Kurt