[comp.sys.mac] Melt

mjkobb@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (05/04/90)

Recently, David Elliott wrote:

:This DA, as well as many screen-manipulation programs, doesn't work
:with large screens or color.

:If this is the Melt I once tried, it puts up a faked screen and melts
:that.  The SunView, Apollo, and X melt programs I've seen actually
:take a snapshot of the current screen and manipulate that.  Really
:great with a network:  Gee, it's sure getting hot in here... (hit
:carriage return key) Whew!

Just to clarify things, the Melt DA works just dandy with color, although it's
slower with 24-bit color than with 1 (unsurprisingly).  It does actually melt
your current screen (i.e. it takes a snapshot).  Much more interesting than
just putting up a fake, I'd think!

--Mike

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (05/04/90)

In article <2331@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Recently, David Elliott wrote:
>:[Melt DA doesn't work with color]
>:If this is the Melt I once tried, it puts up a faked screen and melts
>:that.

There have been two versions of this DA.  The old one, called "Flow" or
"Melt", was terminal and required a reboot.  The new version, called "Melter",
will restore the healthy screen after a mouseclick.  The old one probably
didn't work with color, and the new one does.
--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai