[comp.sys.mac] 16 bit version of 68030 / 68040

hui@van-bc.UUCP (Michael Hui) (05/04/90)

Over in comp.sys.m68k there is talk of a 16 bit version of the 68030 or 68040
processor in the works. It would be plug compatible with a 68000.
For all of us still hanging on to Mac Pluses or SE's, perhaps Apple now
will offer the ultimate upgrade of them all: simply plug in a new CPU
chip and you are guaranteed object code compatibility for system 7 onwards.

My inquiring mind REALLY want to know. Could someone with reliable
connections in industry check this out please? Many universities have
room fulls of Plus and SE's, and they are not about to junk those just yet.

jasper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (05/04/90)

16 bit 030's would probably handy for someting like the Mac RS, but I don't
see how it could help out SE and Plus owners.  The previous note mentioned
"plugging" a new one in but if I recall, aren't the CPU's soldered in not
socketed?

But still, what about it?  Is there gonna be a 68030SX?

Nick Jasper

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/04/90)

In article <18000062@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jasper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> But still, what about it?  Is there gonna be a 68030SX?

I understand the processor is called the 68025. Motorola is rumored to
announce the processor this summer "along with a major computer
manufacturer" (or words to that effect).

Herb Poppe            NCAR
hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu  1850 Table Mesa Drive
                      Boulder, CO  80307-3000
                      (303) 497-1296

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (05/05/90)

In article <375@van-bc.UUCP> hui@wimsey.bc.ca writes:

>Over in comp.sys.m68k there is talk of a 16 bit version of the 68030 or 68040
>processor in the works. It would be plug compatible with a 68000.
>For all of us still hanging on to Mac Pluses or SE's, perhaps Apple now
>will offer the ultimate upgrade of them all: simply plug in a new CPU
>chip and you are guaranteed object code compatibility for system 7 onwards.

I read a magazine article today (don't remember which; must have been one
of MIS Week, LAN Times, Digital Review, MacWeek, Macintosh News, MacUser,
MacWorld, Byte, PC Week, ComputerWorld, or some other magazine that I forgot)
about this new 68xxx processor.

They said that it would be a scaled-down 16-bit version of the 68040
(since the 040 was designed on computer, this would be easier than going
with any other chip design).  They believed it would be called the 68025.
It is supposed to be released late in the year (with a simultaneous
announcement by a major computer manufacturer -- wanna guess who that
might be?).

This chip is supposed to compete with the 386sx from Intel.  From the
report I read, this new chip will include MMU functions that would go
just swell with System 7.0...

Well, that's it for me.  After two years as student rep, this is my
last day.  (I'm sure I'll be back on the net sometime soon, though.
It's addicting.)  So people can stop called me "biased" :-)

Later,

-Michael

p.s.  Graduation!  Finally...

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu