[comp.sys.mac] MS-Word Problems

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (02/26/89)

I've been having two persistent problems with Word 3.02 (on a Mac
SE & system 6.02) that I'd appreciate some advice on:
1. I have an even header, the last part of which I want lined up
   with the right edge of the page. So I put a right tab at the right
   margin. It looks OK on the screen, but no matter what I try it
   either ends about 1/4" short of the margin or 1/4" past it when it prints.
   Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
2. I like to print all my documents with 'fractional widths' turned
   on. Word seems to remember this setting when the file is saved
   but then forgets it from time to time. Is there any way I can
   make this option permanent?
Thanx. (Those aren't the only two problems I have with Word, but they're
only two I haven't been able to work around.)

BTW, since no one else has asked in the past week: what's the latest
word on Word 4? Should registered users be expecting an upgrade notice?
(I'm registered, and I haven't received one.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (02/28/89)

In article <4916@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
<I've been having two persistent problems with Word 3.02 (on a Mac
<SE & system 6.02) that I'd appreciate some advice on:
<1. I have an even header, the last part of which I want lined up
<   with the right edge of the page. So I put a right tab at the right
<   margin. It looks OK on the screen, but no matter what I try it
<   either ends about 1/4" short of the margin or 1/4" past it when it prints.
<   Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

I ran into that too. If you have Word highly customized, the solution the
first time is painful: toss out your Word Settings file (in the System
folder). Thereafter, keep backups of your Word Settings file. It seems to
become corrupted easily.

I haven't seen the problem lately, probably because I don't use odd and
even headers anymore. If you want to really screw up the Word Settings
file, try going back and forth between radically different formats. I
used to do 8 1/2 x 11-inch pages at work (portrait) and pages half that
size (landscape) for a consulting job.

Take one document type into page preview while the Word Settings file
is appropriate for the other type of document. All kinds of interesting
things happen with the right margin.

<2. I like to print all my documents with 'fractional widths' turned
<   on. Word seems to remember this setting when the file is saved
<   but then forgets it from time to time. Is there any way I can
<   make this option permanent?

I liked fractional widths too, until I found out the indexing program
doesn't use it when it forces a repagination. For documents as short as
18 pages, I had index terms showing up on the non-existent page 19. I
had to reprint the entire 200+ page document (lots of chapters) without
fractional widths, then run the indexes again. It cost me an entire
holiday weekend and several hundred dollars in lost consultant fees.

Word 4.0 supposedly puts fractional widths on the page setup dialog
where it belongs. (Could Microsoft have actually listened to my
suggestion?  Stu: this was in my letter that you couldn't track.)

<BTW, since no one else has asked in the past week: what's the latest
<word on Word 4? Should registered users be expecting an upgrade notice?
<(I'm registered, and I haven't received one.)

Patience...we're all waiting.

Shirley Kehr

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (03/01/89)

In article <84862@felix.UUCP> kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) writes:
|In article <4916@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
|<BTW, since no one else has asked in the past week: what's the latest
|<word on Word 4? Should registered users be expecting an upgrade notice?
|
|Patience...we're all waiting.

Me too . . .   for a third post card saying it will come by the end of
the second quarter.

	Cynically / JBL
=
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/02/90)

Here are some questions about MS-Word documents.

1.  I have used the Times and the New Century Schoolbook fonts, but I
always have problems with paragraph justification.  If fractional
widths are turned off, there are no problems, but when fractional
widths are turned on ITALICS and subscripts always ruin the line they
are on.  I use Adobe's screen fonts, and print on an imagen
ultrascript printer.  This problem occurs in word 4.0 and 3.0.

2.  I generally do illustrations in Canvas 2.0 or MacDrawII 1.1.
However, when these illustrations are pasted into a document, they are
usually perverted / distorted in some way.  In fact, Canvas pictures
copied to MacDrawII 1.1 are also distorted.

I am wondering if there's a way to create and print an MS-Word 4.0
document, so it looks as good as the printout from Canvas or MacDraw
II.  SWo far, this has been very frustrating to me.

nedludd@ut-emx.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (05/04/90)

In article <126900198@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> 1.  I have used the Times and the New Century Schoolbook fonts, but I
> always have problems with paragraph justification.  If fractional
> widths are turned off, there are no problems, but when fractional
> widths are turned on ITALICS and subscripts always ruin the line they
> are on.  I use Adobe's screen fonts, and print on an imagen
> ultrascript printer.  This problem occurs in word 4.0 and 3.0.

Yeah, I've had the same problems with sub- and superscripts,
characters from the symbol font embedded in the text, optional
hyphens at the end of a line, etc. (although I've never encountered
any difficulty with italics).  And I'm using Apples font.  I called up
Microsoft about this about a year ago, and they said it was a bug,
and they knew about it.  Great.  Didn't the new version come out
within the past year?  Well, they still haven't fixed it, even on
4.00B (just checked).

So you have a choice:  integral widths and really sinfully ugly
looking bold and/or italics, or fractional widths and uneven right
margins with justification.  Wonderful.  Yet another reason to
despise Microsoft.

--
cheers, from
charles s. geiger, esq.

"Down with all kings but King Ludd" -- Byron

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/05/90)

IF microsoft cannot justify text with fractional widths;
THEN how can microsoft justify its claim of being a word processor.

I'd just like to know.  Is anyone from Microsoft out there?