[comp.sys.mac] Grammar checkers/English as a second language

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (05/03/90)

Linda Ireland at ac.dal.ca writes:
> I have a roomate for whom English is a second language.  She will have to
> start writing a master's thesis soon and is thinking about buying a Mac
> to do the word processing..

I just got through digging through some of the recent back issues of
MacWEEK and Macintosh News, and, alas, I can't find the reference in
my head, but there is a product just announced that is designed
specifically as a grammer checker for people whom Spanish is their
native tongue and English is a second language.

Unfortunately, all I can do is tell you that it exists.  Can someone
else out there in netland come up with a specific reference?  I'm
pretty sure that the article was in either MacWEEK, Mac News, or Mac
User in the past three weeks...

		Sorry I can't be more help!

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

FlashsMom@cup.portal.com (NancyAnn none Sheridan) (05/05/90)

That may be the only use for them.  From their advertisements
and documentation, Grammatik & Sensible Grammar look worse than
useless for competent speakers of English.  I ordered Correct Grammar,
and a lot of good skull-sweat went into it, but it's of no practical use.
Some of its suggestions are intelligently wrong; none has been better
than what I'd written.
	It has some severe functional misfeatures, which the president of the
company says they'll fix in the next release, and it has Working Software's
standard file-corruption problem [as in Spellswell].

---