[comp.sys.mac] HD SetUp Secret Features

rob@uokmax.uucp (Bolo) (05/02/90)

In article <2694@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>If you type in the word "ski" at the screen following the
>opening copywrite screen, you can choose which wait icon you
>want for your system; hour glass, fingers counting, world
>turning or a wrist watch.  This is on version 6.0.4 and
>6.0.5 I believe.  Just reading the dialog box credits
>is worth looking at this "feature".

Actually, this in the the new "Installer", not HD Setup.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/03/90)

Well, I've done some testing and I'd like to try and clear a few things up:

In article <2694@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> I read in an issue of MacWeek or MacUser or MacWorld (its
> all a blur when you read too many journals) that there is
> a secret feature in Apple's HD SetUp.
                              ^^^^^^^^
  Actually, it's in Installer 3.0 (sys6.0.4/6.0.5)

> If you type in the word "ski" at the screen following the
> opening copywrite screen, you can choose which wait icon you
> want for your system; hour glass, fingers counting, world
> turning or a wrist watch.  This is on version 6.0.4 and

  From what I could see, all you are really choosing is what cursor
the Installer uses as a 'busy' cursor while installing your system software.
It looked like a 'feature' of the Installer, and not of the System Software.
(i.e. you won't see any funky wait cursors normally, no matter what you
choose here)

> The problem is, I can`t get it to work on my IIcx.  I
> still only get the default wait icon, while I have
> choosen the world turning.  Has anyone had any luck?

  See above.

  Hope this helps...

|  John T. Chapman                       |                                    |
|                                        |  Witty message under repair...     |
|  ke2y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu             |                                    |
|  ke2y@crnlvax5.bitnet                  |                                    |
|       Disclaimer: These opinions are mine.  You can't have them!            |

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (05/06/90)

In a message of 04/30/90, John DeRosa wrote -

>I read in an issue of MacWeek or MacUser or MacWorld (its all a
>blur when you read too many journals) that there is a secret
>feature in Apple's HD SetUp.
>
>If you type in the word "ski" at the screen following the opening
>copywrite screen, you can choose which wait icon you want for
>your system; hour glass, fingers counting, world turning or a
>wrist watch.

Not HDSetUp; this secret feature is in the regular System
Installer that started with 6.0.4 (I believe).

Disclaimer:  I don't have/use systems 6.0.4 or .5.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix