[comp.sys.mac] Mac Folder-level Security

kling@ut-emx.UUCP (Kenneth A. Klingensmith) (05/03/90)

I have an unpleasant problem... I have a MacII that is used by office
mates when I am not actually planted in front of it that has "sensitive"
data files from Excel and Word on it.  Since I arrange my folders by
date, it is reasonably easy to see if someone has been (unintellegently)
snooping around.

I recognize that I could Stuffit with a password, or move to floppy disk,
but I prefer to simply have "lockable" folders on my hard disk.

Is there such a utility available, either in the PD or commercially?
Is there a development effort that I could beta to bring such a beast up?

Thanks.

meldal@ithink.Stanford.EDU (Sigurd Meldal) (05/04/90)

In article <29411@ut-emx.UUCP> kling@ut-emx.UUCP (Kenneth A. Klingensmith) writes:

>I have an unpleasant problem... I have a MacII that is used by office
>mates when I am not actually planted in front of it that has "sensitive"
>data files from Excel and Word on it.
>but I prefer to simply have "lockable" folders on my hard disk.
>
>Is there such a utility available, either in the PD or commercially?

There are a number of utilities, ranging in sophistication from
password-guarding to DES encryption.

Your needs could probably be addressed by buying Hard Disk Partition (or
some other soft partitioning tool) which lets you define parts of your
disk as virtual disks ("partitions"), which can be password protected.
You would mount them when needed using a DA (giving a password), and
dismount when you leave your workstation. The proce for HDP is <$100,
I believe.

Clever users can still get at your files, but they have to work a bit
in order to do it. You will certainly preclude idle browsing by
curious colleagues.

-- Sigurd

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (05/04/90)

Kenneth A. Klingensmith asks about folder level security on a Mac...

Well, there are actually quite a few different programs that will
accomplish what you ask, and what is best depends on your specific
needs, your willingness to have it intrude on your (and others)
work, and how fanatically you want to secure things.

Some examples are:

	DiskLock, from Fifth Generation Systems

		Offers protection and encoding for files, folders, or
		entire hard disks.  Includes virus protection.
			Call 'em at  (504) 291-7221

	SUM II, from Symantec

		While aimed at a different market, it does offer
		file encryption too.
			Call 'em at  (800) 228-4122

	StuffIt, from Alladin Systems / shareware

		The essential mac application, the new deluxe version
		also appears to offer file encryption too.
			Call 'em at  (408) 685-9175

	MacTools Deluxe, from Central Point Software

		Direct competitor to SUM II, this programs also indicates
		that file encryption/decryption is controllable by a
		simple DA (supplied).
			Call 'em at (503) 690-8090

	MacPassword, on disk #2128 from EDUCORP

		appears to offer file level protection as an INIT,
		though it seems more likely they mean complete system
		level protection.
			Call 'em at (800) 843-9497

	AME, from Cassady & Greene

		Not sure if it's released or not, but it's supposed
		to be a top-notch complete security layer for MacOS.

	Mac Safe II, NightWatch and QuickLock, from Kent Marsh

	FileGuard Extend, from ASD Software

I'm sure that there are more products and applications that accomplish
what you're asking for (bewilderingly enough, eh?).  Further, I'm sure
that there are some shareware or freeware apps that can easily and
reversibly encrypt a specific file.

In fact, it seems like a pretty straightforward problem; from a DA you
reach into the file and encrypt it, including an encryption of the
original creator and owner.  Replace them with one for the decryption
program, and then double clicking on the file icon would launch the
decrypter to work on it, then that could transfer to the real owner of
the file.  Perhaps it could even be cobbled to regain ownership of the
file after app execution and re-encrypt it automatically with the same
key...

Anyway, I hope that the information above is helpful.  Good luck.

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (05/05/90)

In article <29411@ut-emx.UUCP>, kling@ut-emx.UUCP (Kenneth A. Klingensmith) writes:

> I recognize that I could Stuffit with a password, or move to floppy disk,
> but I prefer to simply have "lockable" folders on my hard disk.

There is lots of stuff around. I prefer to work with Symantec partitions,
which are encrypted on request and need to be 'mounted'. Senitel is a
security software which 'locks' files. MacPassword (shareware) is the cheapest
product with reasonable security protection of folders provided that you are
the only user and others want to log in as 'guest'.

(BTW there is no 'real' security of any data on any computer anywhere).

- Reinhard

DISCLAIMER: The products mentioned are personal favourites and need not be
            judged as if they were the only/best ones. I'm just working
            with them.

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Philip Wong) (05/06/90)

I want a security program that will lock folders, and automatically logon
people as guest on startup.  This way, the only time I need to enter a password
is when I want to get into that folder.  Is there any programs that do this?

please reply by email

ins_apw@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU