[comp.sys.mac] Imagewriter I vs. II and clones

gordo@athena.mit.edu (Garet G Nenninger) (05/04/90)

I have seen ads for some "Imagewriter-compatible" printers such as
the Seikosha SP-1000AP and Fortis DM1310 printers.  How do these
compare with the Imagewriter?  For that matter, how compatible is the
Imagewriter I with programs written for the Imagewriter II?

Thanks for your help,

Garet Nenninger
MIT SERC

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May4.052059.22231@athena.mit.edu> gordo@athena.mit.edu
(Garet G Nenninger) writes:
> I have seen ads for some "Imagewriter-compatible" printers such as
> the Seikosha SP-1000AP and Fortis DM1310 printers.  How do these
> compare with the Imagewriter?  For that matter, how compatible is the
> Imagewriter I with programs written for the Imagewriter II?

I don't know anything about the "ImageWriter-compatible products" (and
would like to hear about them), but I do know that the ImageWriter II
software from Apple is 100% compatible with the ImageWriter I, except, of course, that the ImageWriter I doesn't have color capability.  It prints all non-white colors as black, the same as an ImageWriter II with a black-only ribbon.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (05/06/90)

In article <8075@goofy.Apple.COM> casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:
>I don't know anything about the "ImageWriter-compatible products" (and
>would like to hear about them), but I do know that the ImageWriter II

A couple month's ago I posted a question asking if an Apple Scribe printer
could be used with a Mac.  I got very little response, except from
people saying to buy something else.  I had posted originally at my
father's request; he bought an SE and wanted to use the Scribe since
he already had one, and because it is quiet (thermal).

Anyway, he reports that it does indeed work properly, something which
certainly surprised me.  I haven't personally seen the results, but
he says they're satisfactory....