[comp.sys.mac] Looking for dictionaries

mrys@ethz.UUCP (Michael Rys) (05/02/90)

In article <90.121.23:14:19@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.sys.mac, article <1990Apr27.100228.18027@ulrik.uio.no>,
>  espen@ikaros.uio.no (Espen J. Vestre) writes:
>< I am looking for a german electronic dictionary, preferrably for my
>< favourite word processor MS Word.
><
>Bash Microsoft Time:
>Word's German dictionary refuses to work with the US version of the program.
>Word's US dictionary refuses to work under the English version.
>(Repeat varying languages until bored.)

I use MS-Word 4.0 english successfully with the standard MS Dictionnary
and the German dictionnary Standardwoerterbuch. I simply double click
onto the German dict instead of starting Word directly to make it work.

Hope this helps.../Michael

| Michael Rys, V. Conzett Str. 34; CH-8004 Zuerich; Switzerland |
| UUCP:  mrys@ethz.UUCP or       EAN:     mrys@ifi.ethz.ch	|
|        mrys@bernina.UUCP       IPSANet: mrys@ipsaint		|
| Voice: +41 1 242 35 87					|
-- Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darueber muss man schweigen. --
       Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus logico-philosophicus

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (05/03/90)

In article <90.121.23:14:19@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Bash Microsoft Time:
>Word's German dictionary refuses to work with the US version of the program.
>Word's US dictionary refuses to work under the English version.
>(Repeat varying languages until bored.)

Are you using Word 4.0A?  Supposedly 4.0 does not work with the foreign
dictionaries and version 4.0A is required for those.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | Now that I'm employed,
Consultant                 | standard disclaimer applies.   :-)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (05/04/90)

In comp.sys.mac, article <21812@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>,
  isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:
< In article <90.121.23:14:19@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
< >Bash Microsoft Time:
< >Word's German dictionary refuses to work with the US version of the program.
< >Word's US dictionary refuses to work under the English version.
< >(Repeat varying languages until bored.)
<
< Are you using Word 4.0A?  Supposedly 4.0 does not work with the foreign
< dictionaries and version 4.0A is required for those.
<
Hey, they've learned! Must have been a novel experience for them. ;-)

Unfortunately, at least in Germany you still can't buy the US dictionary.
You also can't buy the US version. There are many people here who get
thoroughly sick when seeing the "US->German Translated Computerese Normal
Form" (which is German with English punctuation and haphazardly translated
computer-specific words) and with US idiosyncracies replaced with German
ideosyncracies instead of sensibly using the Script Manager. :-(

Word 4.0 US also will behave very strangely when running under a German system
(it examines the "language" integer from one of the INTL resources. A very
annoying form of copy protection). I don't know whether this still holds for
versions > 4.0, though.
<
--
Matthias Urlichs

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (05/07/90)

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes:

>Supposedly 4.0 does not work with the foreign dictionaries and
>version 4.0A is required for those.

4.0 works just spiffily with the German dictionary that I have.

Stephan Somogyi       Contentedness is for sheep.
NetWorkShop Manager
MacUser	              Any opinions expressed above are mine.