[comp.sys.mac] Mapping Fkeys

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (05/08/90)

In article <???> ws1g+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Charles Swarm) writes:
>Does anyone know 1) if it is possible, and 2) how to remap the
>function keys from the command-shift-digit sequence to the actual
>fkeys on a mac II.  It just seems so silly  to waste a row of 15 keys
>that were put there to work as *Function* keys.

I thought that myself so I created an INIT that does just that.
The Init doesn't actually map the fkey to comand shift fkeys. What I
wanted to do was create a system where I don't have to install the
fkeys into the system file. Below is part of a post that I sent to
comp.sys.mac.programmer explaining what my INIT will do.

"What this init will do: This init will make the remaining fkeys on the
extended keyboard actually do something. In your system folder you create a
folder called FKeys. In this folder you put fkey files named FKEYn. (where
n is the number of the fkey. i.e 'FKEY5' will be launched when the user
hits the F5 key.). This way you don't have to install the fkey in the
system file and you don't have to worry about the fkey ids. This also
allows you to keep the standard command shift fkeys."

My init doesn't do anything with fkey 1 - 4, there are already enough
INIT's that make those keys work.

The Init will be freeware because I got so much help with it on
comp.sys.mac.programmer. Its in the bug squashing sessions now
so It not ready yet. (it doen't even have a name yet)

If you are interested in this INIT, send me email and I will send you
a copy as soon as it is bug free.

Matthew Mora
SRI International                       mxmora@unix.sri.com