[comp.sys.mac] Neko the DA

jamesth@microsoft.UUCP (James THIELE) (05/08/90)

In article <149ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu (Lyle D. Gunderson) writes:
>I agree! So cute, in fact, that my 2-year-old son always wants to play with
>[4 lines about Neko deleted]
>
>BTW, if you decide to try your child out with Neko, you might want to close
>all other windows, unplug the keyboard, and maybe run off a floppy. And
>[4 lines about an HC stack deleted]

You're being overly cautious.  A six year old friend of mine, Tommy Faddis,
was a Mac user before he was two.  His dad taught him how to exit from
programs, including the save dialog, and not to play with the trash
can.  Since any REAL Mac program has Quit at the bottom of the File
menu this was easy.  I agree that keeping minimum windows open is a
good idea, but Tommy has not lost his mom or dad's data in four
and a half years on two Macs.  He actually is a VERY sophisticated
MacPaint user, and discovers keyboard shortcuts on all their
drawing and game programs.  He is also a HyperTalk programmer, even
though he's only been reading a short time (actually, scripts were
one of the first things he read).

>It is amazing what a 2-yr-old can learn, given the chance.

Yes, it is.

>Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu

James Thiele -- microsoft!jamesth