[comp.sys.mac] CheckFree for the Mac! - Mixed News

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (05/08/90)

In article <7198@crdgw1.crd.ge.com oplinger@minerva.crd.ge.com (B. S. Oplinger) writes:
> I sent in the info to set up the account, and after a month of use,
> I'll post a follow-up and let people know what I think.

Good News
I bought CheckFree version 1.5 from SoftView 3/13; they set up my accout
a couple weeks later.  Purely as a checkbook program it is very nice,
automates much of the work of entering transactions, does some error
checking without getting in your way or forcing you to adopt someone
else's idea of budgeting, and uses the Mac interface quite well.  You
can even choose IRS form and line numbers for budget categories, and
export to Macintax at the end of the year, which will start filling out
your taxes for you.  (I tried it with dummy data.) Even without EFT it
would *almost* be worth it.

Bad News
No EFT.  Customer support confirmed the communications software for the
Mac and any modem is broken.  They expected a fix 3 weeks ago, but no word
yet, nor any reply to my letter.  Meanwhile they sent through an EFT
withdrawal for $2.10 payable to themselves with no explanation.  Now
$2 is considerably short of Keating-class bank sleight-of-hand, but
is another indication they just don't have their act together.

I'll try once more to contact them, and if I get a reasonable response
I'll stick with it, because it definitely looks like it will be a
great system if they can fix the s/w.  Otherwise, I'll return it
and ask them to call me when they're really open for business.
My opinions are my own.  Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
UUCP: {pyramid,sri-unix,ingr}!garth!walter		(415) 852-2384
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (05/09/90)

>Bad news
>No EFT.
No, that's good news.  Your savings are safe.  Did you read the fine
print?  You have absolutely unlimited liability for unauthorized
withdrawals of any amount (even more than you have in your bank
account, even, say $100000), up until the time you inform
CheckFree that you suspect something wrong.  They will even
help your bank defend itself if you sue it for improper withdrawal.
     What awesome security measures protect you from this
unlimited liability?
(1)  The hope that nobody can find out your address and social
security number,
(2)  The hope that no criminal can get a copy of the CheckFree
software. (Gues they don't have phones, so they can't order
through the 800-number).
(3)  I mighty password of ...FOUR DIGITS.  Not even letters and
digits.  Even without getting fancy, a thief could break into your
account solo in a year by trying three passwords a day.    Your
password is sent to you ON PAPER, and you have no way to
change it online.

This all spells TROUBLE to me, with a capital TROUBLE.  I am
shocked that this service lacks the customer protection that
is a key part of the bank card and credit card business.
.
:

rtp1@tank.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (05/09/90)

>...By trying three passwords a day...
Sorry, I meant by trying THIRTY passwords a day.  Slip of the key.
So, maybe s/he might need to recruit ten friends to help
break your account, of s/he were feeling lazy.