[comp.sys.mac] NetNews Reader 1.2.1

jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) (05/08/90)

Hi there, I'm using the NetNews stack 1.2.1 that came with the MacTCP
toolkit and its rather nice (no Amanda we dont want another Ad saying how
much nicer your product is).  But there is a little problem, in
comp.binaries.mac and comp.sys.mac.digest the files are quite often more
than 32k and this leads to the articles being truncated, has anyone found
a way of storing such articles in 2 text fields ? I  am sure it could be
done but I dont have the time to hack at it. It would make the stack a lot
more usable.  Currently I have to read the header of a binary post and
then drop back one level and use the save bodies as text option.  This
only works if you only have the articles you want marked as unread,
otherwise all teh current articles are saved.

Thanks [sorry Amanda:-)]

John Mansfield, North Campus Electron Microbeam Analysis Laboratory,
University of Michigan, 2455 Hayward, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2143.
(313) 936-3352
jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu or John_Mansfield@um.cc.umich.edu

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (05/09/90)

In article <1990May8.144339.11886@terminator.cc.umich.edu>,
jfmjfm@ruddles.sprl.umich.edu (John F. Mansfield) writes:
> [about the "netnews" HyperCard stack]
> (no Amanda we dont want another Ad saying how
> much nicer your product is).

Oh, come now...  The only "ads" I send are in response to specific
requests, and are sent by private email or U.S. Mail.

I take great pains not to "plug" our product--for one thing,
I'm an engineer, not a marketroid.  On the other hand, when someone
asks specifically for newsreaders for the Mac, it doesn't seem unreasonable
to mention that it exists.  Some people aren't interested in spending their
time hacking HyperTalk scripts, after all...

On to your question: HyperCard displayed fields are limited to 32K of
data, although HyperTalk containers will, in fact, hold as much as memory
will allow.  What I would do would be to add a button to the article card
that saves the article body out of the original container (instead of the
displayed field), or if necessary, re-fetches the article from the server.
I don't remember off hand if the entire article body is kept around after
it's displayed.

>I am sure it could be  done but I dont have the time to hack at it. It
>would make the stack a lot more usable.

Yup, it would.  Maybe someone can find the time.

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation