[comp.sys.mac] Changing the SCSI ID of an internal HD20

beall@nunki.usc.edu (Judith Beall) (05/05/90)

Is there any way of changing the SCSI ID of an internal drive that comes
standard with the Mac SE or SE/30? I guess they all come set to SCSI ID=0 or
1 <I think it's 0>, but I am wondering how I could change that?
OR if I can change that....

Thanks

wiseman@Tellabs.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (05/08/90)

In article <9585@chaph.usc.edu> beall@nunki.usc.edu (Judith Beall) writes:

>Is there any way of changing the SCSI ID of an internal drive that comes
>standard with the Mac SE or SE/30? I guess they all come set to SCSI ID=0 or
>1 <I think it's 0>, but I am wondering how I could change that?

From your title line you indicate a 20 meg drive. Nearly all of these drives
CAN be changed by a set of "suitcase jumpers" (so called because they look like
little suitcases I suppose :-) mounted on the controller board.

If this is a normal stock apple 20 meg drive, there is a good chance that it is
a 20 Meg Miniscribe of the model 8425 variety. If so just call MINSCRIBE's
public tech support at 1-800-356-5333 and ask them which jumper is which.

Only problem is that the internal address of 0 (default) typically requires NO
jumpers, therefor you need to find some. They also have to be the half height
type in order to provide clearance. I went to a local mac repair shop and the
guy just gave me 3 (they're pretty dinky).

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

purcell@sciences.tmc.edu (Guy B. Purcell) (05/09/90)

I'm not too sure you want to do this.  According to an article I read on the
boot process (& some experimenting on my part to verify this) of the Mac, the
machine looks for drives in this order:  floppies (any drive), internal HD with
ID=0, bootable SCSI device found on bus by a search starting with ID=6 (highest
next to the Mac) and going to ID=0.  Therefore, if you have an internal drive
with ID=0 that you want to be your boot drive, leave it there to prevent the
Mac from doing the extra bus search.

			Guy (purcell@zeus.sdsu.edu)