[comp.sys.mac] 68040 MAc

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (05/04/90)

Anyone have any information on Apple's plans for the '040? Will there be
upgrades for machines like the IIcx? Any guesses as to how much this
would cost? Comments from all are welcome... especially those guys at
Apple :-)

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

davew@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Dave_Waller) (05/04/90)

By the way, you Apple guys... As you may have noticed, I work at HP. My
questions are not intended to worm out some marketing info that could be
used against you, rather, I just bought a IIcx for myself at home (great
machine, I love it!), and was reading some info about the 040 here at
work. It sounds like a kick-a** processor, so I was wondering when I
will be able to upgrade my one month old IIcx to an '040. Thanks for any
response...

Dave Waller  \  The opinions expressed are solely my own, and in no way
Hewlett-Packard Co.  \  represent those of my employer (but we all know
dave@hpdstma.ptp.hp.com | hplabs!hpdstma!dave  \  they should!)

kaamboe@ve.uio.no (Kolbjoern Aamboe) (05/08/90)

Sources relatively close to Apple Computer, Inc. say that the 68040
Macintosh will wear the
name  Macintosh ff  (fortissimo). Lets hope it has a ppp noiselevel...

dlw@hpccc.HP.COM (David Williams) (05/09/90)

Other sources claim there will be NO 040 based Macintosh but that
Apple will leap directly to their new series of Motorola 88000 based
machines. The real question then will be if these new machines will be
Macs at all or a new product line that may or may not have a Mac
emulation mode.

-David Williams
"Yet another guy at HP with Macintoshes"
       David L. Williams -- hplabs!dlw -- dlw@iag.hp.com -- 408 447-5425
             Hewlett Packard -- Information Architecture Group
                   Distributed Application Architecture
	                19046 Pruneridge Ave MS: 46G
			     Cupertino CA
                                  *

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/10/90)

In article <5360049@hpccc.HP.COM> dlw@hpccc.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Other sources claim there will be NO 040 based Macintosh but that
>Apple will leap directly to their new series of Motorola 88000 based
>machines. The real question then will be if these new machines will be
>Macs at all or a new product line that may or may not have a Mac
>emulation mode.

I would be willing to bet that it will be an 040.  It would be ridiculous
to jump straight into a new series of chips.  The 040 provides RISC performance
and gives code compatability.  An emulation of a 680x0 chip in the 88000 will
be ridiculously slow.  Commodore will be releasing their 040 stuff when
Motorola finally gets the 040 up to production.

>-David Williams
>"Yet another guy at HP with Macintoshes"

				See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

eb1z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward Joseph Bennett) (05/10/90)

>In article <5360049@hpccc.HP.COM> dlw@hpccc.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>Other sources claim there will be NO 040 based Macintosh but that
>>Apple will leap directly to their new series of Motorola 88000 based
>>machines. The real question then will be if these new machines will be
>>Macs at all or a new product line that may or may not have a Mac
>>emulation mode.

>I would be willing to bet that it will be an 040.  It would be ridiculous
>to jump straight into a new series of chips.  The 040 provides RISC
performance
>and gives code compatability.  An emulation of a 680x0 chip in the 88000 will
>be ridiculously slow.  Commodore will be releasing their 040 stuff when
>Motorola finally gets the 040 up to production.

>>-David Williams
>>"Yet another guy at HP with Macintoshes"

>			See ya, Ralph

>gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
>gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
>gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

From the rumors I hear you are probably both right. I've heard
(MacWeek,MacWorld,the Net, word of mouth, I don't remember where) that
Apple basically has an '040 machine ready to go and are just waiting for
volume production to make it economically profitable. This makes sense
due the fact that Apple has had plenty of type to play with the chip. If
Apple is going to continue the Mac line the '040 is really the only way
to go if they want to preserve any degree of compatability.

However while looking for the latest issue of MacWeek I stumbled upon a
year old issue discussing Apple choosing the 88000 as their choice for
Risc developement. They talked about a very power machine that wouldn't
be compatable. It also said it would be two years before anything was
ready and that was a year ago

My thought.

An '040 Mac late this year or early next year. (maybe with the release of 7.0)

A New Risc product line mid to late '91, maybe early '92. May have a Mac
emulation mode at a big performance penalty. Maybe based on AUX and
targeted at the work station market.

The end of the Apple II line sometime in '91 after a low cost Mac with a
 IIe compatability card is out.

Hopefully a low cost Mac this fall.

This is just speculation not based on any inside info.

Ed