[comp.sys.mac] DiskExpressII

ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (01/16/90)

Does anyone know why this might be happening:

    The system simply freezes. There is no fore-warning, there are no
lines showing up across the screen, no bomb box, etc. Everything, including
the mouse freezes.

    I know that it has something to do with Disk Express II in the
auto-optimize mode. DE II runs fine without auto-optimize, but when I turn
auto-optimize on, the system will freeze at some point during my time
on the Mac.

    I'm running a SE with System 6.0.4, a load of INITs (that were turned
off and DE II still did this). Why??

--Piper Keairnes

phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (01/17/90)

In article <3848@mace.cc.purdue.edu>, ar4@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) writes...
}Does anyone know why this might be happening:
}
}    The system simply freezes. There is no fore-warning, there are no
}lines showing up across the screen, no bomb box, etc. Everything, including
}the mouse freezes.
}
}    I know that it has something to do with Disk Express II in the
}auto-optimize mode. DE II runs fine without auto-optimize, but when I turn
}auto-optimize on, the system will freeze at some point during my time
}on the Mac.
}
}    I'm running a SE with System 6.0.4, a load of INITs (that were turned
}off and DE II still did this). Why??

I have been seeing LOTS of PROBLEMS with DiskExpress II!!!!  I always thought
Alsoft was a good company....I have not been able to get thru to their support
line anytime.  It is always busy....

They sent me V2.03 for free.   It freezes my Mac 2ci DURING BOOT even if you
tell it not to load!!  V2.00 did not freexe my Mac.  At work, V2.03 started
running on my std Mac II.  I told it to optimize and 17% into the optimization,
it aborted with an Error 2013 (Whatever that is).

At this point, I would strongly recommend staying away from DiskExpress II!!!

Phil Hunt                      "Wherever you go, there you are!!!"
Digital Equipment Corporation                 Phone: (508)486-2164
ENET:        VAXPHW::PHIL
USENET:      phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com
MOREUSENET:  phil%vaxphw.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com
EVENMORE:    ....!decwrl!dec-vaxphw!phil

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (01/17/90)

In article <7505@shlump.nac.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.enet.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>I have been seeing LOTS of PROBLEMS with DiskExpress II!!!!  I always thought
>Alsoft was a good company....I have not been able to get thru to their support
>line anytime.  It is always busy....
>
>They sent me V2.03 for free.   It freezes my Mac 2ci DURING BOOT even if you
>tell it not to load!!  V2.00 did not freexe my Mac.  At work, V2.03 started
>running on my std Mac II.  I told it to optimize and 17% into the optimization,
>it aborted with an Error 2013 (Whatever that is).

Well, as far as the support number goes, I had quite a time getting through
myself.  All I can say is keep trying... you will eventually get through.

I'm using an SE with 6.0.4 and the only problem that I had with 2.00 was that
it would sometimes crash the system when optimizing in the background under
MultiFinder.  Version 2.0.3 solves this and (supposedly) other problems.
Needless to say, I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

Quite honestly, it seems that the IIci (ever since its introduction) has been
the most touchy machine of the entire family.  Taking this into account, it's
not really all that surprising that it may not work on a ci.  One thing that you
can be certain of is that when you do finally get through to the tech support
line, they'll want to know about that error number.  If there still is a problem
in the software that will give them a clue as to what needs to be fixed.

One thing you might try that may not have occured to you is to rename
DiskExpress so that it is the first INIT to load.  You didn't provide details
of which other INITs you have running, but it is conceivable that something
which loads before DiskExpress (in your current setup) is causing problems.

Bill Taroli
WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu

arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) (01/18/90)

Does anyone out in netland know if Disk Express II compresses the desktop
file like the old Disk Express did?  This was handy.

John Arvidson
arvidson@euclid.math.colostate.edu

francis@pawl.rpi.edu (Frank J. Schima) (01/18/90)

In article <3778@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> arvidson@euclid.MATH.ColoState.Edu (John Arvidson) writes:

>Does anyone out in netland know if Disk Express II compresses the desktop
>file like the old Disk Express did?  This was handy.

Yes it does compress the desktop file.

--
francis@pawl.rpi.edu - Francis Schima

J.Pearce@ucl-cs.UUCP (05/29/90)

From: J.Pearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

I would very much appreciate any feedback on DiskExpressII (the
hard disk defragmentor). Particularly whether it just defragments
files, or if it also defragments free space as well.

John R. Pearce.

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Computer Science Department,
University College London.