[comp.sys.mac] Need Help on Creating PostScript Font

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (05/27/90)

For convenience while writing my thesis, I'd like to create a PostScript
variant of the Times font, wherein many of the useless (to me) accented
characters are replaced with useful (to me) squiggly arrows and other
funny symbols.  I have access to a copy of Fontographer at the University,
so that's not a problem.  Question is, how do I obtain an unencrypted
copy of 10pt Times font to work on?  Obviously, I don't want to recreate
the entire character set, just "modify" some of the existing characters.
Is there any way I can do this without violating about 50 copyright laws?
I don't want to distribute this or anything--I just want to circumvent
the irritation caused by switching back and forth between Times and Symbol
font, not to mention that Symbol doesn't have the characters I want anyway.

Boy, I wish that OzTeX was a little more WYSIWYG.

Thanks in advance,
Ken McDonald
mcdonald@cs.sfu.ca

PS In case you're curious, the thesis is in the area of functional
programming, and I need stuff like lambda's, and those funny brackets
they use in denotational semantics, and a bunch of things I made up
on my own.  I figure that if I can't dazzle the thesis committee with
my brilliance, I can at least confuse them with my incoherence, and funny
symbols that have never seen the light of day before are always welcome
for that.

rajiv@ee.rochester.edu (Rajiv Arora) (05/29/90)

In article <736@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:

>For convenience while writing my thesis, I'd like to create a PostScript
>variant of the Times font, wherein many of the useless (to me) accented
>characters are replaced with useful (to me) squiggly arrows and other
>funny symbols.  I have access to a copy of Fontographer at the University,

Have you tried using the Bartholomew/Belsley fonts in the info-mac archives?
They're remappings of the Times/Helvetica fonts that include some symbols and
diacritcial marks.

I use the Bartholomew font a lot; not because it bothers me to use Symbol, but
because Symbol font on the LaserWriter Plus *does not* print bold and
bold-italic styles! Does anyone else find this horribly annoying, or what? What
in the world were they thinking when they decided to omit these styles. Anybody
who uses Symbol characters to represent a vector or matrix, and follows
traditional typographical rules, will want the bold style.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. I'm writing my thesis too. :-)

Rajiv Arora
--
Addresses:
	UUCP:   ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!rajiv

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George J. Jefferson) (05/29/90)

>Have you tried using the Bartholomew/Belsley fonts in the info-mac archives?
>They're remappings of the Times/Helvetica fonts that include some symbols and
>diacritcial marks.

Are these ATM compatable?