[comp.sys.mac] How do you determine which cpu upgrades are "Sys 7 compatible"

johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) (05/25/90)

	Most advertisers of Mac CPU upgrades now tout "makes your system
ready for system 7" as one of the main reasons for upgrading your cpu.  Given
that system 7 is still a long way from public release, how can you tell which.
ones will & will not be supported.  Given that Connectix has had some
difficulty catering to all the different boards out there, how is Apple going
to fare ?

	I am still using my Prodigy accelerated SE, but as this is now dis-
continued (pity, it still looks to be one of the better accelerators) I fear
that I might lose all VM support when System 7 finally arrives;  I have been
looking at the Dove 030 board as a replacement, it claims the Sys 7 compat-
ibility, but already has far more hardware incompatibilities than the Levco.

	Has anybody any information to help me keep the dreaded obsolescence
at bay - having owned a Lisa, then an XL, I don't want to get caught again !

				John
Ps if you feel like using e-mail, please prepend mahendo to the address, i.e.
mahendo!seila.uucp!johnt as we have just moved mailfeeds.

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (05/28/90)

In article <628@seila.UUCP> johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) writes:

>	Most advertisers of Mac CPU upgrades now tout "makes your system
>ready for system 7" as one of the main reasons for upgrading your cpu.  Given
>that system 7 is still a long way from public release, how can you tell which.
>ones will & will not be supported.  Given that Connectix has had some
>difficulty catering to all the different boards out there, how is Apple going
>to fare ?
>
>	I am still using my Prodigy accelerated SE, but as this is now dis-
>continued (pity, it still looks to be one of the better accelerators) I fear
>that I might lose all VM support when System 7 finally arrives;  I have been
>looking at the Dove 030 board as a replacement, it claims the Sys 7 compat-
>ibility, but already has far more hardware incompatibilities than the Levco.

  Unfortunately, as my summary line says, I doubt there's any sure way to
know what will and will not work.  System still seems to be in early alpha
releases (from what I read) that there may be time to incorporate support for
them before the official release, while there's also enough time for them
to decide to pull it out because it is causing more problems for them.
  The Connectix issue is a different one because that's a 3rd party company
modifying their product for other 3rd party companies.  I can't see Apple
having different versions of the System and Finder (or even drivers) for
hardware that isn't their own.  At best, they should include enough hooks so
that a 3rd party accelerator, with maybe the need of it's own init driver (like
the current accelerators use) would make it work properly.
  I'm not even sure whether Apple would want to make 3rd party support of acc.
cards available.  On the one hand, they would certainly anger a lot of people
who want to migrate to System 7.0 and not make a huge investment for it.  On the
other hand, Apple is in the business of selling hardware, and all those (angry)
people who own Pluses and SE'will be forced into buying new 030/7.0 capable
machines.

						Jeff White
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (05/29/90)

In article <628@seila.UUCP> johnt@seila.UUCP (john grant) writes:
>	I am still using my Prodigy accelerated SE, but as this is now dis-
>continued (pity, it still looks to be one of the better accelerators) I fear
>that I might lose all VM support when System 7 finally arrives;  I have been
>looking at the Dove 030 board as a replacement, it claims the Sys 7 compat-
>ibility, but already has far more hardware incompatibilities than the Levco.

Doesn't run on our venerable 68020 Prodigy-cum-512Ks, either. We've had
a hard time getting support for those old boards, too, what with all the
changeovers with Levco/Prodigy/Everex (don't know about current products).
If anyone has any info on where to get 'em repaired, please email me.

--Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com  AppleLink: D0189

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (05/30/90)

In article <25303@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>cards available.  On the one hand, they would certainly anger a lot of people
>who want to migrate to System 7.0 and not make a huge investment for it. On the
>other hand, Apple is in the business of selling hardware, and all those (angry)
>people who own Pluses and SE'will be forced into buying new 030/7.0 capable
>machines.

	Every Mac Plus, Every Mac SE with adequate RAM installed is
	"already" System 7 capable..the "only" feature of System 7
	that I am aware of that Mac Plus and Mac SE owners will not
	be able to take advantage of is Virtual Memory. Apple is not
	trying to isolate people or force them into buying new hardware
	to be System 7 compatable, they already are if they take the
	time to add sufficient ram to run it.

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff White) (05/30/90)

In article <2574@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <25303@netnews.upenn.edu> jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:
>>cards available.  On the one hand, they would certainly anger a lot of people
>>who want to migrate to System 7.0 and not make a huge investment for it. On the
>>other hand, Apple is in the business of selling hardware, and all those (angry)
>>people who own Pluses and SE'will be forced into buying new 030/7.0 capable
>>machines.
>>
>	Every Mac Plus, Every Mac SE with adequate RAM installed is
>	"already" System 7 capable..the "only" feature of System 7
>	that I am aware of that Mac Plus and Mac SE owners will not
>	be able to take advantage of is Virtual Memory. Apple is not
>	trying to isolate people or force them into buying new hardware
>	to be System 7 compatable, they already are if they take the
>	time to add sufficient ram to run it.

  Sorry about that, it looks like I may have deleted too much of the original
article.  What I was referring to was the use of 030 accelerator cards on
Pluses and SE's to give them the virtual memory capability that true Apple
030 computers will have.

						Jeff