[comp.sys.mac] Do you *hate* Mac CD-ROM technology?

sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/25/90)

In article <9740@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0228b@prism.gatech.EDU (FALCO,VINNIE) writes:
>me copy some PD software from CDROM, and he wanted me to tell him which programs
>worked..whatever. I made the mistake of doing a 'Get Info' on one of the folders.
>10 minutes later (no exxageration) I got the info, and saw that it took up
>150 megabytes. Apple should fix the finder so that operations can be aborted with
>command period, (i.e. like Get Info). Also, I took my whole computer there one day
>and copied a 60 megabyte folder in one shot, and I had enough time to go eat
>at Burger King and walk back!!! This is far too slow.
>
>The opinions expressed here are my own...
>
>--
>Vinnie Falco
Hiya,

     Well, that is your fault for using a slow CDROM drive.  I have
copied 60mb in significantly less time.  Like move the folder over and
wait a few moments (possibly even a couple of minutes) then it is
done.

     These do not seem like valid 'I Hate CDROM' comments.  In fact, I
am very leary of a posting that asks for Hate comments.  Perhaps one
that asked for constructive criticism.  Sounds like an Apple maligner
may be loose on this group.

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/25/90)

In article <779@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, taylor@limbo (Dave Taylor) writes:
>But I know better.  That is,
>I'm sure that there are some people out there in netland who are
>knowledgable about CDROMs and *hate* them, for some reason or other.

I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.

>						-- Dave Taylor

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) (05/26/90)

In article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell)
writes:
> I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.

As a matter of fact the LIST price is about $900.

David Casseres
     Exclaimer:  Hey!

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/26/90)

In article <8429@goofy.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple.com (David Casseres) writes:

> In article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell)
> writes:
>> I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.
>

> As a matter of fact the LIST price is about $900.
>
> David Casseres
>      Exclaimer:  Hey!

Look at his address... we gotta charge them furriners more, doncha know?

C Irby

paulr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Paul T Russell) (05/27/90)

From article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):

> I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.

Is this for a gold-plated CD-ROM drive ? ;-)

Current UK price for the Apple CD-ROM is 640 pounds. Take off another
25% for educational purchasers. This is less than $1000 US...

//Paul
--
           Paul Russell, Department of Experimental Psychology
         University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, England

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/28/90)

In article <8429@goofy.Apple.COM>, casseres@apple (David Casseres) writes:
>In article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell)
>writes:
>> I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.
>

>As a matter of fact the LIST price is about $900.

I just checked. The prices in the shops here in the UK are around 1000
quid ($1600?) for a run-of-the-mill CD-ROM player.

[gripes about European pricing deleted!]

>David Casseres

		Nick.
--

In article <2746@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, paulr@syma (Paul T Russell) writes:
>From article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk>, by nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell):
>>
>> I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.
>>

>Is this for a gold-plated CD-ROM drive ? ;-)
>
>Current UK price for the Apple CD-ROM is 640 pounds. Take off another
>25% for educational purchasers. This is less than $1000 US...

Oh.

Of course, I was checking the CD-ROM sample player units in the
music technology papers (you know, the dealers who charge 500 quid
for a megabyte of memory).

>//Paul

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
		   Ich weiss jetzt was kein Engel weiss

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (05/29/90)

Well, just to set the record straight, the *educational* price of a CD-ROM
player in the UK IS about $900, and I guess the retail price to be about $1200,
so Nick is a little over the top in his $2000 estimate. Ralph

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (05/29/90)

sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) writes:

>In article <9740@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt0228b@prism.gatech.EDU (FALCO,VINNIE) writes:
>>I made the mistake of doing a 'Get Info' on one of the folders.
>>10 minutes later (no exxageration) I got the info, and saw that it took up
>>150 megabytes. Apple should fix the finder so that operations can be aborted with
>>command period, (i.e. like Get Info). Also, I took my whole computer there one day
>>and copied a 60 megabyte folder in one shot, and I had enough time to go eat
>>at Burger King and walk back!!! This is far too slow.

>     Well, that is your fault for using a slow CDROM drive.  I have
>copied 60mb in significantly less time.  Like move the folder over and
>wait a few moments (possibly even a couple of minutes) then it is
>done.

Actually, it's possible that he has a software problem.  I remember a
notice that the latest CD-ROM software no longer tries a Get Info on the
whole volume and takes much less time than it used to.

I'd've let this go, but no one else seemed to have remembered.

	Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others

dswt@stl.stc.co.uk (Stewart Tansley) (05/30/90)

In article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>In article <779@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, taylor@limbo (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>I'm sure that there are some people out there in netland who are
>>knowledgable about CDROMs and *hate* them, for some reason or other.
>
>I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.

FYI Nick et al: spoke to our Apple dealer yesterday and got an Apple Spring UK
price list from him. I was pretty surprised to see the Apple CD SC [TM] is
'only' 610 pounds! Ok, so it's a lot more than my Audio player, but at least
it's approaching the realms of possibilities... (to convince my management, I
mean). (Price is ex-VAT and ex-discount, BTW.)

More like $1000, n'est pas? :-) (Hi Nick!)

Stewart Tansley     | STC Technology Ltd              |  'Be cool, or be
+44 279 29531 x2763 | London Rd, Harlow, CM17 9NA, UK |    cast out...'
dswt@stl.stc.co.uk  | ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!stl!dswt     | Subdivisions, Rush
   'You know how that rabbit feels - going under your spinning wheels...'

chris@imagine.ADMS-RAD.Unisys.COM (Chris Sterritt) (05/31/90)

In article <4214@castle.ed.ac.uk> nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:
>In article <779@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, taylor@limbo (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>But I know better.  That is,
>>I'm sure that there are some people out there in netland who are
>>knowledgable about CDROMs and *hate* them, for some reason or other.
>
>I hate the price. Around $2000 for a CD player? Nein danke.
>		Nick.

	Well, Nick, I don't know about your side of the puddle, but I got my
Toshiba (Rated fastest by MacUser in their tests) for $900, WITH a $250
Wayzata clip-art disc and a (prerelease) public-domain disc thrown in for
free!  This was direct from Wayzata.

	COOL CD-ROM BUYING TIP:  When my Wayzata drive was already in the mail,
I found out about a place in Colorado (advertises in MacUser back pages) who
had a slightly worse deal.  I told them Wayzata was beating them, SO THEY
PROMPTLY OFFERED A BETTER DEAL!  So shop around, and feel free to tell them
what their competitors are selling for :-).

	PS., Wayzata is a great place to do business with.  I have no other
relationship with them except as satisfied customer.

	-- chris sterritt

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (05/31/90)

Maurice Sharp writes:
<      Well, that is your fault for using a slow CDROM drive.  I have
< copied 60mb in significantly less time.  Like move the folder over and
< wait a few moments (possibly even a couple of minutes) then it is
< done.

Where do we get such a CD-ROM drive?  I just copied a 50 meg folder from
my Quantum 170 to my Quantum 80, both of which are a lot faster than any
CD-ROM drive I have ever heard of, and it took about 14 minutes.

You have a CD-ROM drive that goes faster than this?

On the other hand, my 50 meg was split up among ~3000 files.  Since the Mac
usually copies about 5 files/second, we expect it to take at least 10 minutes
to copy 3000 files, even if they are small.  Was your 60 meg spread across
only a few large files, or were there many small files?

						Tim Smith

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (05/31/90)

In article <30337@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
>Maurice Sharp writes:
>< I have
>< copied 60mb in significantly less time.  Like move the folder over and
>to copy 3000 files, even if they are small.  Was your 60 meg spread across

No, no -- look -- he used a lower-case "m" in "60mb"...

Clearly he meant "60 MILLIbytes".  :-)

- Rich Holmes
Physics Dept.
Syracuse University

rich@suhep.phy.syr.edu  <-- preferred address

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (05/31/90)

In article <3582@rodan.acs.syr.edu> rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:
|In article <30337@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
|>Maurice Sharp writes:
|>< I have
|>< copied 60mb in significantly less time.  Like move the folder over and
|>to copy 3000 files, even if they are small.  Was your 60 meg spread across
|
|No, no -- look -- he used a lower-case "m" in "60mb"...
|
|Clearly he meant "60 MILLIbytes".  :-)

Still wrong!  Look at the lower case "b".

Clearly he meant "60 milliBITS".  :-) :-)

	/JBL
=
Nets: levin@bbn.com  |     "I studied the tabletop.  It had a nice mosaic
 or {...}!bbn!levin  |  pattern of black against green.
POTS: (617)873-3463  |     "'Well,' I said after a time.  'That really