[comp.sys.mac] FDHD Problems?

schapman@cheddar.uucp (Scott Chapman {x6088}) (01/11/90)

Sorry, forgot to provide info about how to respond:
E-MAIL -> schapman@aecmail.prime.com

Jim.Sandoz@f412.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Sandoz) (05/29/90)

Folks:

As it would seem many people, including myself, are having problems with
the FDHD, does anyone care to try to charactarize the problem?

-->  I have a Sept '89 purchased Mac SE/20 1MB FDHD that chokes on 1.4's
only occasionally; however, since my main use of the floppy drive is
backing up 16 megs of data, this is a big problem.  The last time I
went to back up, HFS Backup 2.02 told me my first two backup disks
(of 13) were bad.  Attempts to format them under HFS Backup or the
finder invariably ended with an "Initialization Failed" dialog.

Aside1:  In Early 1990 Apple released the "Apple 800k Eject INIT" for
pre- 6.0.4 systems, and incorporated the drive head positioning code in
releases 6.0.4 and .5.  Since a majority of "new" Macs (compacts & fx,
not to mention the SE/30) have FDHD's, could 800k INIT be interfering
with the operation of the FDHD driver ?  How many of you having
problems use the INIT OR are using systems >= 6.0.4 ?

Aside2:  Since HD disks have been around for quite a while, it would
appear that they are probably not to blame. (Are any IBM-heads screaming
about losing data ?)  Bad batches?  The fact that it happens with all
brands (I've read on the Net about Sony, Maxell, TDK, and 3M) so the
odds are against the bad run of disks theory. ( Although an EMP
would do it! )

Aside3:  Could this be the 1st non-benign Mac Virus? Escaping detection
from Disinfectant 1.7/1.8 would be clever, but certainly not impossible.
My guess would be that the system file itself is infected, since most
applications call its routines for formatting diskettes. Anyone tried
a total rebuild from original LOCKED disks ?  I haven't, because I can't
trust my backup set.  Those of you with a net & a big fileserver...(no,
this a bad idea, as the server could be infected).  The virus may ride
apps, jumping out just to infect the system, unknown to gatekeeper or
vaccine.

<I'm running 6.0.3/6.1 with Moire, Superclock, 800k Eject, Backdrop 2.16,
Vaccine, GateKeeper Aid INITs.  1.5 dozen fonts in the popular sizes.
DA's include the normal Apple stuff, plus Expressionist and MicroEditor.>

Has anyone running the Gatekeeper/GateKeeper Aid combo or SAM had these
problems with the FDHD?

Please attempt to reply direct to me (of course I'll summarize for the
Net), as my Mail feed thru Fido is shaky.  If not put it out for the
rest of the world (incl Apple) to see and comment.

                                        Jim Sandoz

--
Jim Sandoz via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!412!Jim.Sandoz

dawyd@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (06/01/90)

In article <54769.26636269@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Jim.Sandoz@f412.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Sandoz) writes:

>Folks:
>
>As it would seem many people, including myself, are having problems with
>the FDHD, does anyone care to try to charactarize the problem?
>
>-->  I have a Sept '89 purchased Mac SE/20 1MB FDHD that chokes on 1.4's
>only occasionally; however, since my main use of the floppy drive is
>backing up 16 megs of data, this is a big problem.  The last time I
>went to back up, HFS Backup 2.02 told me my first two backup disks
>(of 13) were bad.  Attempts to format them under HFS Backup or the
>finder invariably ended with an "Initialization Failed" dialog.

>[Discusses the possibility of 800K Eject code causing the problem and
>rejects the possibility of a batch of bad disks]

>Aside3:  Could this be the 1st non-benign Mac Virus? Escaping detection
>from Disinfectant 1.7/1.8 would be clever, but certainly not impossible.
>My guess would be that the system file itself is infected, since most
>applications call its routines for formatting diskettes. Anyone tried
>a total rebuild from original LOCKED disks ?  I haven't, because I can't
>trust my backup set.  Those of you with a net & a big fileserver...(no,
>this a bad idea, as the server could be infected).  The virus may ride
>apps, jumping out just to infect the system, unknown to gatekeeper or
>vaccine.
>
>Has anyone running the Gatekeeper/GateKeeper Aid combo or SAM had these
>problems with the FDHD?
>
>Please attempt to reply direct to me (of course I'll summarize for the
>Net), as my Mail feed thru Fido is shaky.  If not put it out for the
>rest of the world (incl Apple) to see and comment.
>
>                                        Jim Sandoz

I tried to mail you, but it bounced, so I'll take up net.bandwidth
instead....

FDHDs have caused problems since the very first one was shipped off
the assembly line (before the Eject INIT ever came out).  The person
you quote purchased an SE in September 1989, not long after Apple's
announcement that all new SEs would have the drives; the new SEs were
(and still are) legendary for having problems with the FDHDs.  Many
people have reported similar problems which could be logically traced
to hardware.  And you're talking about a virus?

==> Flame on:

Getting computer users a wee bit paranoid about viruses is generally a
good thing, because it's generally the only way that people will sit
up and notice the problem.  Thus, when problems arise that can't
logically be linked to hardware, it's a good idea to at least consider
the possibility that a virus may be the cause.  The FDHD, however, is
a relatively new piece of hardware, requires a different controller
than the IWM, and needs different code to drive it: doesn't it just
seem possible that in fact it the hardware is flaky?  While your virus
theory is possible, it seems less probable than a hardware error.

My fear is that by pointing the finger at a virus, you may cause
people to get hysterical about the possibility of a virus, when that's
not the cause at all.  Again, I'm not saying that your idea's
impossible, just that it's unlikely, especially when a reasonable
explanation is at hand.  When there's evidence to suggest that a virus
may be the cause of a problem, then start talking about viruses; in
the meantime, try to understand that wildly pointing fingers at
boogies and gremlins does little to further public understanding of
the virus problem, and may actually hamper it.

==> Flame off.

If I misunderstood the intent or the point of your message, please
accept my apologies.  But please, be more cautious in your discussion
next time.

>Jim Sandoz via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!412!Jim.Sandoz
>INET: Jim.Sandoz@f412.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@tank.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }