[comp.sys.mac] Converting LaTeX fonts to PostScript

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (05/30/90)

I'd like to make use of many of the symbols available to TeX/LaTeX users,
but do NOT want to use any of the Mac variations of LaTeX.  So, what I
need to do is convert the LaTeX fonts into PostScript, make up a matching
bitmap font, and use those with my favorite word processor.  There are a
number of questions this brings up, and I'd appreciate it if anyone out
there in netland could help me out:

	1)  How do I do this?  Since OzTex (the freeware version of
	LaTex for the Mac) prints on PostScript printers, I assume
	it actually issues PS code for its characters at some point.
	I'd like to intercept this code and put it into a PS font
	file, but haven't a clue as to how to go about this.

	2)  What are the copyrights on TeX fonts?  Since TeX and
	variants are available freely, and include the font files,
	I've been assuming the fonts are either public domain or
	at least freely distributable.  Obviously, after I get this
	project done, I'd like to make the font files available, and
	so I want to make sure no one will hit me with a lawsuit.

	3)  Do I need to register the fonts with Apple?  Will they
	even let me register the fonts?

Thanks for any advice.  Please e-mail any replies.  If I manage to figure
out how to do this, look for the results on comp.sys.mac.binaries somewhere
between two and six weeks from now, plus time needed for the moderators
to check out the results.

Ken McDonald
mcdonald@cs.sfu.ca

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (06/01/90)

In article <759@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:
>I'd like to make use of many of the symbols available to TeX/LaTeX users,
>but do NOT want to use any of the Mac variations of LaTeX.  So, what I
>need to do is convert the LaTeX fonts into PostScript, make up a matching
>bitmap font, and use those with my favorite word processor.  There are a
>number of questions this brings up, and I'd appreciate it if anyone out
>there in netland could help me out:

This does not answer your particular questions on making the fonts yourself,
but FTL (Toronto) had
an implementation of the Computer Modern (CM) math fonts as outlines when
their MacTeX was around.  I was not much impressed with it.  BlueSky
Research (TeXtures) have a beta version of the *full* set of CM fonts in Post-
Script for sale (Adobe type 1, I believe), but they have not yet distributed
samples that I have seen. There should be no reason why you cannot use
these with any Mac application.

On the balance of using WYSIWYG word processing vs. TeX, I still find the
latter much more flexible for handling the larger documents, not to mention
having better looking output than the desktop publishing
products.  I refer to technical docs. containing equations in particular.
I used mail merging for reference numbers in docs in Word 1.0 in 1985---that was
one of the reasons I was driven to learn TeX.  Now, if there was only a way of
helping people learn TeX without much effort...just like staying fit...or
remembering things (isn't applied intuition the phrase?).

The items being raised---references, symbols, equation numbering and references,chapter, section, etc, numbering---eventually all require a level of
programming, which in part, is what TeX is: a programming language.
Raising the level of complexity required means more effort to produce the
results. There is no free lunch (yet).   Perhaps
a click-and-point TeX until the user knows all the short cuts.  I can type
equations about 5 times faster in TeX than in MathType or Expressionist, even
faster if it is going to be a multiline equation.  This includes time to
run the typeset command in TeX and pasting in the equations in the WYSIWIG
documents.  If revisions and
wholesale scavenging of docs are included, the difference is even greater.

TeX lets you concentrate on the content of the document much more than the
look of it: WYSIWYG tends to invert that aspect.  Of course, this is
a generalisation, all of us can get carried away at times.
For short docs. it always seems easier to use one or
other of the word processors.  Of course, it depends whether the contents
or the sight are meant to impress the reader.  One hopes both.
Ugly documents have come out of both TeX and the WYSIWIG programs.
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CA*net : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |