[comp.sys.mac] Mac --> UNIX, what's out there?

micone@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Andy Micone) (05/31/90)

What sort of ways are there of connecting a mac to a UNIX system.  We have a
mac network running on phone cable, all attached to a Nuvotech star
controller.  One of the macs has an ethernet card.

Our SUN network consists of Sparc Stations and SUN 3/110's, connected through
thin ethernet in the walls.

What we want to do are some of the following (in decreasing priority):

	o Get mail communication to UNIX (we run QuickMail)
	o Get files from UNIX
	o Send files to UNIX
	o Communicate with UNIX (ie. be able to bring up a terminal window)
	o Backup the macs on the UNIX disks (No flames, this was
	  my bosses' idea).

Just to kill one of these birds quickly...can we connect to UNIX using NCSA
telnet, or some other program through our Mac II with the the ethernet card.
That would be acceptable.

I'll summarize all responses posted and e-mailed for others who are
interested.

-- Andy

toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) (05/31/90)

In article <146@cogsci.ucsd.EDU> micone@cogsci (Andy Micone) writes:

>What sort of ways are there of connecting a mac to a UNIX system.  We have a
>mac network running on phone cable, all attached to a Nuvotech star
>controller.  One of the macs has an ethernet card.
>Just to kill one of these birds quickly...can we connect to UNIX using NCSA
>telnet, or some other program through our Mac II with the the ethernet card.

Sure, Telnet is great...I've been using it for 2 years now, and they've
finally taken away my "normal" terminal due to lack of use! My regular
workday consists of having 5-8 different windows open on my 2-page-display,
each window containing a terminal session on a different Sun. Once you
have the terminal session, you can transfer files very easily with ftp.

Of course, you'll need a gateway from the Mac network to the Unix network.
We use Kinetics Fastpath.

I'll be looking forward to replies on backing up the Mac on Unix disks...

/\_______\      /\___\	        Thomas R. Arneberg, Senior CAD Engineer
\/__   __/     / /    \	        Bipolar Integrated Technology, Beaverton, Ore.
 / /  /       / /  /\  \        (World's fastest floating point/RISC chips!)
/ /  / /\_\  / /  /==\  \ /\_\  UUCP: ...!{harvard!ogicse,sun,decwrl}!bit!toma
\/__/  \/_/  \/__/    \__\\/_/  Internet: bit!toma@cse.ogi.edu

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/02/90)

In article <30@bit.UUCP>, toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes:
> Once you
> have the terminal session, you can transfer files very easily with ftp.

With TCP/Connect II you don't need to have an open telnet session.

> Of course, you'll need a gateway from the Mac network to the Unix network.
> We use Kinetics Fastpath.

I think he said that he was using an ethernet card from his Mac II, if so
he doesn't need a Fastpath.  Just use the TCP/IP either the builtin stack
or Apple's MacTCP.

Hope that helps.

Kurt