[comp.sys.mac] Reading msdos optical disks with a mac

ejbell@milton.acs.washington.edu (Eric Bell) (06/02/90)

Please don't flame me if:
	1) I'm asking a stupid question
	2) I'm in the wrong newsgroup

I'm a competent and experienced programmer (I know my shit) but I don't know
anything about optical disks or much about mac programming.

I am investigating the feasibility of a project that would read an existing
database that is available on optical disk (High Sierra format) for computers
running ms-dos.  I want it to run on a mac.

Because the database is so large, (otherwise they wouldn't have put it on
optical disk, would they?) I can't just copy the files onto a hard drive
using something like apple file exchange.

I presume I need a program/routine that makes a dos-formatted optical disk
appear to be an "on-line" mac disk, or something that directly reads and
interprets the dos file-system and handles all of the file-system functions.

Is this commonly done and/or are there libraries/programs that handle this?
If so, what are they?

A final question.  Just out of curiosity, did the ms-dos file-system have to
be tweaked to deal with the large files you can create on an optical, or was
it able to handle it in its original design?

Thanks in advance, flames | /dev/null

Eric Bell

In article <3874@milton.acs.washington.edu> ejbell@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bell) writes:
>Please don't flame me if:
>	1) I'm asking a stupid question
You aren't
>	2) I'm in the wrong newsgroup
Well, comp.sys.mac is supposed to be obselete, but I don't think
any of the specific groups would fit this question, so I've redirected
followups to comp.sys.mac.misc (the new general group)

>I'm a competent and experienced programmer (I know my shit) but I don't know
>anything about optical disks or much about mac programming.
>
>I am investigating the feasibility of a project that would read an existing
>database that is available on optical disk (High Sierra format) for computers
>running ms-dos.  I want it to run on a mac.
>
>I presume I need a program/routine that makes a dos-formatted optical disk
>appear to be an "on-line" mac disk, or something that directly reads and
>interprets the dos file-system and handles all of the file-system functions.
>
>Is this commonly done and/or are there libraries/programs that handle this?
>If so, what are they?
You are in luck-- Apple has such a thing available in their CD-ROM
software at apple.com-- it's called Foreign File Access (and it's
associated files, Audio CD Access, ISO 9660 Access, and High Sierra
Access). It's also available on the developer CD, and comes with Apple
CD-ROMs.  It makes the High Sierra disk look exactly like a mac disk except
that you can't tell how many files are on the disk.

>A final question.  Just out of curiosity, did the ms-dos file-system have to
>be tweaked to deal with the large files you can create on an optical, or was
>it able to handle it in its original design?

High Sierra isn't MS-DOS at all.  It is entirely different, and MS-DOS
computers also need additional software to read it.

][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?