[comp.sys.mac] X - Windows for the mac.

A.J.C.Blyth@newcastle.ac.uk (A J C Blyth) (05/31/90)

Does any one out know the current position regarding an a peice of software
for the Mac called Mac - X. I know that Aux/II suports X in allowing you
to run your mac as an x station. But I have heared whispered in dark dank
corridors, ( The place where system admin hang out. ) of a peice of software
called Mac - X that allows you to run X application either on/to your mac.

Any ideas......

Andrew

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (06/01/90)

In article <1990May31.125453.8360@newcastle.ac.uk>, A.J.C.Blyth@newcastle.ac.uk (A J C Blyth) writes:
> Does any one out know the current position regarding an a peice of software
> for the Mac called Mac - X. I know that Aux/II suports X in allowing you
> to run your mac as an x station. But I have heared whispered in dark dank

On an exhibition in switzerland, MacX was shown in a beta release. It runs
on A/UX but also without it. It is fully Multi-finder compatible and
needs about 1.5 Megs in the application. Speed is another issue -
I've seen it on a fx and it was as fast as NextStep on the Competitor's
box.

- Reinhard

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz@urz.unibas.ch
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%46211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 256760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 253880 ext 888

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (06/01/90)

MacX is in Beta right now.  It is an X windows server that runs client
applications over ethernet or appletalk, although I must say it is quite
slow over appletalk and reasonable over ethernet.  I hope they can speed
it up.  I haven't tried running clients locally yet.

It will be included with DECLanWORKS, which is supposed to go on sale in
the third quarter of 1990.

Len

rekieta@apple.com (Paul Rekieta) (06/05/90)

In article <1990May31.125453.8360@newcastle.ac.uk>
A.J.C.Blyth@newcastle.ac.uk (A J C Blyth) writes:
> Does any one know the current position regarding a piece of software
> for the Mac called Mac - X.

MacX has rolled off the production line and should be in better computer
stores soon.

Paul Rekieta
Communications Product Development
Apple Computer, Inc.

cookson@helios.mitre.org (Cookson) (06/05/90)

In article <8524@goofy.Apple.COM> rekieta@apple.com (Paul Rekieta) writes:

>MacX has rolled off the production line and should be in better computer
>stores soon.
>
>Paul Rekieta
>Communications Product Development
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Any word on pricing??

% Dean Cookson				  $ Anyone can be taught to sculpt    %
% dcookson@mitre.org			    $ Michaelangleo would have had to %
% {devax,et al..}!linus!mbunix!helios!cookson $ have been taught how not to.  %
% Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, and       $ The same is true of great   %
%       are of questionable sanity                $ programmers               %